What Is the Minimum Velocity for a Sphere to Traverse a Grooved Disk?

In summary: The sphere is projected with a velocity v towards the center of the disk. Find the minimum velocity of the sphere such that it is able to reach the other end of the groove.
Satvik Pandey

Homework Statement

We have a disk of mass M and radius R placed on a horizontal plane. A cylindrical groove of radius r is made on a diameter.Now a sphere of mass m and radius r is placed in the groove at the circumference of the disk.

At t=0 the whole system is rotated with an angular velocity 1rad/s as shown in the figure.Also at the same time the sphere was projected with a velocity v towards the center of the disk.Find the minimum velocity of the sphere such that it is able to reach the other end of the groove.

Details and Assumptions

M=2kg
m=3kg
R=2m
r<<R
https://d18l82el6cdm1i.cloudfront.net/solvable/2676130fa9.119ef294cc.dlI6so.png
The disk is fixed about it's centre that is it can only rotate

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think if the ball crosses the center of the disk the centrifugal force will be enough to move that ball to the other side of the groove.
I think the minimum velocity in this case is the velocity which is enough to move the ball to the center of the disk.
Here the angular velocity of ball keeps changing, I think.
At distance x from the center of the disk let the angular velocity be ω_x.
I[itex]_{i}[/itex] ω[itex]_{i}[/itex]=I[itex]_{x}[/itex]ω[itex]_{x}[/itex]

ω[itex]_{x}[/itex]=MR2+2mR2)/(MR2+2mx2)

ω[itex]_{x}[/itex]=16/4+3x2

I think the total energy of the ball will be entirely converted to the potential energy.

Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

We have a disk of mass M and radius R placed on a horizontal plane. A cylindrical groove of radius r is made on a diameter.Now a sphere of mass m and radius r is placed in the groove at the circumference of the disk.

At t=0 the whole system is rotated with an angular velocity 1rad/s as shown in the figure.Also at the same time the sphere was projected with a velocity v towards the center of the disk.Find the minimum velocity of the sphere such that it is able to reach the other end of the groove.

Details and Assumptions

M=2kg
m=3kg
R=2m
r<<R

Homework Equations

I think if the ball crosses the center of the disk the centrifugal force will be enough to move that ball to the other side of the groove.
I think the minimum velocity in this case is the velocity which is enough to move the ball to the center of the disk.

ω[itex]_{x}[/itex]=(MR2+2mR2)/(MR2+2mx2)

I think the total energy of the ball(rotational+kinetic) will be entirely converted to the potential energy.

Potential energy=[itex]\int mω2xdx[/itex]
Limits are from R to 0
=256m[itex]\int xdx/16+9x4[/itex]
Substituting x2/t=2 and xdx=dt
256m[itex]\int \frac{dt}{4(4+t2)}[/itex]

=[itex]\frac{256m}{4}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]tan[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\frac{t}{2}
[/itex]
=256mπ/32
=1/2 mV2+1/2 Iω2 =256mπ/32
=1/2 mV2+1/2 mR2/2 =256mπ/32
on solving we get
V2=16π-4
V=6.80

Satvik Pandey said:

Homework Statement

Details and Assumptions

M=2kg
m=3kg
R=2m
r<<R

Homework Equations

ω[itex]_{x}[/itex]=(MR2+2mR2)/(MR2+2mx2)

Where are the parentheses? Because you wrote ω=4+3x2. Do you think it is right?
Satvik Pandey said:
I think the total energy of the ball(rotational+kinetic) will be entirely converted to the potential energy.
What frame of reference you use? If it is a rotating frame, the angular velocity is zero and so is the rotational energy. If it is a rest frame of reference, there is no potential energy.

And comb up your formulae. Tex does not understand

ehild

Likes 1 person
Satvik Pandey said:
M=2kg
m=3kg
R=2m
Those numbers were not given in the problem statement. Anyway, what's interesting is to get the right formula, so the numbers don't matter.
Yes
ω[itex]_{x}[/itex]=MR2+2mR2)/(MR2+2mx2)
What happened to ##\omega_i##?
I think the total energy of the ball will be entirely converted to the potential energy.
What potential energy? It's all in a horizontal plane.

Duplicate of https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=766787

I have some doubts regarding the problem formulation, the answers to which may either make the problem relatively simple or significantly complicate life.

First of all, is there an external constraint keeping the disk rotating at the same angular velocity? If not its angular velocity is going to change with time, making it more difficult to go to a frame rotating with constant angular velocity.

Second, is the ball rolling or sliding through the groove? If it is rolling without slipping you will also have to take that kinetic energy into account.

Orodruin said:
I have some doubts regarding the problem formulation, the answers to which may either make the problem relatively simple or significantly complicate life.

First of all, is there an external constraint keeping the disk rotating at the same angular velocity? If not its angular velocity is going to change with time, making it more difficult to go to a frame rotating with constant angular velocity.

Second, is the ball rolling or sliding through the groove? If it is rolling without slipping you will also have to take that kinetic energy into account.

Since the mass of the disk is given, I think it is safe to say this is an isolated system.
Rolling without slipping would be extremely tough to handle. Since the ball exactly fits the groove, you'd have to take it as slipping, frictionlessly, everywhere except where the normal force acts. That point will change, resulting in complex gyrations of the ball. So I'm pretty certain it should be treated as a frictionless particle.

Ep=[itex]\int mω2xdx[/itex]

ω2=256/(4+3x)2

On putting values I got

Ep=-[itex]\int \frac{xdx}{(4+3x^{2})^{2}}[/itex]

Putting (4+3x)2=a So da=6xdx.
Substituting the values

Ep=-[itex]\frac{256m}{6}[/itex][itex]\int \frac{da}{(a)^{2}}[/itex]

On putting m=3 and after simplifying

=128-[itex]\frac{1}{a}[/itex]
Putting a=(4+3x)2

=-[itex]\left (128-\frac{1}{(4-3x^{2})}\right)[/itex][itex]^{0}_{2}[/itex]

Om putting the values I got it 24

As 1/2 Mv2=E[itex]_{p}[/itex]

So 3/2 V2=24
So V=√16
=4 m/s.

Got correct answer.
I did it by choosing rotating frame of reference.

ehild said:
If it is a rest frame of reference, there is no potential energy.

ehild

Could you please explain why there is no potential energy in a rest frame of reference?
I searched for it in senior secondary school physics book but didn't find.

I used rotating frame of reference and I got correct answer.

I'm wondering about a different way to solve this. Can anyone please explain why what I did does not work?

[itex]ω=\frac{16}{4+3x^2}[/itex]

(x is the distance from the center)

centrifugal acceleration [itex]=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{dx}{dt}\frac{dv}{dx}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{d(v^2)}{dx}=Rω=\frac{32}{4+3x^2}[/itex]

[itex]\int_R^0d(v^2)=\int_R^0\frac{64}{4+3x^2}dx=-v^2[/itex]

This gives me [itex]v\approx 4.4 m/s[/itex]

Is this method even close? If it is, where did I go wrong?

Nathanael said:
centrifugal acceleration [itex]=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{dx}{dt}\frac{dv}{dx}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{d(v^2)}{dx}==\frac{32}{4+3x^2}[/itex]
The centrifugal acceleration is not Rω

ehild

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Nathanael said:
centrifugal acceleration [itex]=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{d(v^2)}{dx}=Rω[/itex]
dv/dt will be negative, no?
I don't understand how you get to equate it to Rω. It's dimensionally wrong. On the left you have an acceleration, on the right a velocity.

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
also wrong.

Ahhh of course, what was I thinking :smile: thank you for noticing that, it should be [itex]Rω^2[/itex]But now I get:
[itex]v^2=\int_0^R2(\frac{32}{3+4x^2})^2dx\approx 150[/itex]

Satvik Pandey said:

ω2=256/(4+3x)2

On putting values I got

Substituting the values

Putting a=(4+3x)2

So 3/2 V2=24
So V=√16
=4 m/s.

Got correct answer.
I did it by choosing rotating frame of reference.
Yes, that all looks good, and quite neat.

Satvik Pandey said:
Could you please explain why there is no potential energy in a rest frame of reference?
I searched for it in senior secondary school physics book but didn't find.

I used rotating frame of reference and I got correct answer.

The rest frame of reference is fixed to the outside world. To the table, for example. The only potential energy could be that of the gravity. But it does not change as the whole motion is horizontal. In the rotating frame of reference, the centrifugal force has potential. You did it well, congratulation. But next time indicate what frame of reference you use.

I used the rest frame of reference and conservation of energy. Got the same result.

Check your formulae, there are typos.

Satvik Pandey said:

ω2=256/(4+3x)2

On putting values I got

m is missing

Satvik Pandey said:
Substituting the values

Putting a=(4+3x)2

Are not a few parentheses missing?

Satvik Pandey said:

It should be 1/2 mv2

Use itex and /itex at the beginning and at the end of a formula. For power, use ^ . For lower index, use _.

ehild

Nathanael said:
Ahhh of course, what was I thinking :smile: thank you for noticing that, it should be [itex]Rω^2[/itex]

But now I get:
[itex]v^2=\int_0^R2(\frac{32}{3+4x^2})^2dx\approx 150[/itex]

##dv/dt = -x ω^2## : The radius changes during the motion from R to 0. It was denoted by x.

ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
##dv/dt = -x ω^2## : The radius changes during the motion from R to 0. It was denoted by x.

ehild

Thank you once again ehild, and sorry for making such silly mistakes, I guess I was not paying very much attention.

Anyway thank you for your help; I now get the correct answer :biggrin:

You are welcome, but check your post before sending it:smile:

ehild

ehild said:
I used the rest frame of reference and conservation of energy. Got the same result.

I would like to highlight this and suggest that Satvik tries doing it this way too. Of course the end result is the same, but I think the solution using the non-rotating frame is a bit more straightforward as there is no need to introduce an effective potential or integrate.

ehild said:
The rest frame of reference is fixed to the outside world. To the table, for example. The only potential energy could be that of the gravity. But it does not change as the whole motion is horizontal. In the rotating frame of reference, the centrifugal force has potential. You did it well, congratulation. But next time indicate what frame of reference you use.

ehild

Sorry for the late response.

I have studied somewhere that centrifugal force is a pseudo force.
And I know that we have to take pseudo force in consideration if we are watching an object from an accelerating frame of reference.
Here I have used a rotating frame of reference which was moving with the rotating disc.
So, I have used an accelerating frame of reference hence I have to consider pseudo force( i.e. centrifugal force in his case) and work done by this force get stored in the form of potential energy.
If I observe the motion of the ball from a rest frame of reference(like from the Earth) then in that case in we don't need to consider pseudo force as it is an inertial frame.
So if we are watching ball from the Earth then which force is decelerating the ball.
As ball is also following a circular motion so there must be centripetal which is acting towards center so ball should accelerate while going towards the center.
I know that this is an odd confusion but could you please help?

There is no centripetal force in the inertial frame of reference to keep the ball on circular track, so it would move along a straight line if it was free. But the groove forces it to change direction. Using polar coordinate system, it has tangential component of acceleration. And the radial acceleration is outward without the centripetal force, which would force it to travel along a circle.

ehild

ehild said:
Using polar coordinate system, it has tangential component of acceleration. And the radial acceleration is outward without the centripetal force, which would force it to travel along a circle.

ehild

As 'v' velocity is initially given to ball so it it tends to move towards the center of disk due to inertia of motion. I think a reactionary force is acting on it by the walls of groove is responsible for tangential acceleration.
How do you found that the radial acceleration is outward?

I was not exact enough. The ball motion towards the centre slows down, it means "outward acceleration" but I meant ##\ddot r##. As the centripetal force is zero, the whole radial component of the acceleration ##\ddot r -r\omega^2=0##.ehild

Last edited:
Satvik Pandey said:
As 'v' velocity is initially given to ball so it it tends to move towards the center of disk due to inertia of motion. I think a reactionary force is acting on it by the walls of groove is responsible for tangential acceleration.
How do you found that the radial acceleration is outward?

You don't need to. It is enough with conservation of energy and angular momentum.

Likes 1 person
You can also follow Nathanael's hint. ##\ddot {r }=0.5 \frac{d(v^2)}{dr} =r \omega^2 ## . You denoted r by x, so ## \ddot x = 0.5\frac{dv^2}{dx} =x \omega^2 ## and ##\omega=\frac {16}{4+3x^2}## Integrate.

ehild

Orodruin said:
You don't need to. It is enough with conservation of energy and angular momentum.

Initial energy of the system=[itex]\frac{mv^{2}}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{I_{B} ω^{2}}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{I_{D} ω^{2}}{2}[/itex]

Final energy of the system will be in the form of rotational energy of the disc.

So
EF=[itex]\frac{I ω^{2}_{f}}{2}[/itex]

By law of conservation of angular momentum
I[itex]_{i}[/itex]ωi=Ifωf

ωf=[itex]\frac{MR^{2} +2mR^{2}}{MR^{2}}[/itex]

ωf=4

On equating initial and final energies

[itex]\frac{3v^{2}}{2}+\frac{mR^{2}}{2}+\frac{MR^{2}}{4}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{16 MR^{2} }{4}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{3v^{2}}{2}+8[/itex]=32

So v=[itex]\sqrt{16}[/itex]=4m/s.

Got correct answer.Thanks Orodruin.It is very much easy to solve this question through with conservation of energy and angular momentum.

Last edited:

1. What is the rotating disk problem?

The rotating disk problem, also known as the rigid disk rotation problem, is a classic problem in classical mechanics that involves the motion of a rigid disk rotating around its center. It is often used as an introductory example in physics courses to illustrate concepts such as angular velocity, angular acceleration, and torque.

2. What are the key equations involved in solving the rotating disk problem?

The key equations involved in solving the rotating disk problem are the equations of rotational motion: τ = Iα and ω = ω0 + αt, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, α is the angular acceleration, ω is the angular velocity, ω0 is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time.

3. What are the main assumptions made in the rotating disk problem?

The main assumptions made in the rotating disk problem are that the disk is rigid and has a uniform mass distribution, there is no friction or air resistance, and the disk is rotating in a vacuum. These assumptions simplify the problem and allow for the use of basic equations of rotational motion.

4. How is the rotating disk problem related to real-world applications?

The rotating disk problem has real-world applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to study the motion of objects with rotational symmetry, such as wheels and gears, and is also relevant in understanding the dynamics of rotating bodies in space, such as planets and stars.

5. What are some possible variations of the rotating disk problem?

Some possible variations of the rotating disk problem include adding external forces, such as friction or air resistance, changing the initial conditions, such as the initial angular velocity or moment of inertia, or considering a disk with non-uniform mass distribution. These variations can make the problem more complex and require the use of more advanced mathematical techniques to solve.