1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating Disk Question

1. Oct 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A disk rotates about its central axis starting from rest and accelerates with constant angular acceleration. At one time it is rotating at 7.0 rev/s; 83 revolutions later, its angular speed is 18 rev/s. Calculate (a) the angular acceleration (rev/s^2), (b) the time required to complete the 83 revolutions, (c) the time required to reach the 7.0 rev/s angular speed, and (d) the number of revolutions from rest until the time the disk reaches the 7.0 rev/s angular speed.

2. Relevant equations
    (a) ang accl=(W2^2-W1^2)/2(change in theta)
    (d) change in theta= W0t + 1/2 ang accl t^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got the answers to both (b) and (c) but my (a) was not correct and it's weird because I used my answer from (a) to do both (b) and (c), my answer to (a) was 10.408 rad/s^2 and calculated by plugging in 36pi as W2, 14pi for W1 and change in theta as 166pi... What am I doing wrong here??

Also, for part (d) I was told to use to the time I recieved from part (c) to find the change in theta and I got 150 rev, and that's obviously wrong... what am I doing wrong with this one as well??
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2007 #2
    The problem asks for the angular acceleration in rev/s^2, you found the angular acceleration in radians/s^2, just convert the units.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?