1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating half cylinder energy and power calculation

1. Dec 16, 2011 #1
    Hi folks,

I'm an ocean engineer who's getting old and slow. If I have a half-cylinder mass on a shaft where I'd like to be able to quantify energy (which I think I have right) and then have some way of relating that to potential power output.

What I have so far:
    m=18.6 kg
    Length=0.305m
    radius=0.07m
    Mass moment of inertia (I) = 0.5mr^2
    Rotational KE (Er) = 0.5Iw^2
    w=60rpm=0.159 rad/s

I calculate the Er as 0.00747J

Does this jive? Is there any meaningful way of relating that to power? I do not have a load value (yet), so am just trying to understand what this might be in terms of power if I use some conversion efficiency (thinking alternator load). I am assuming the same motive force that accelerated it to 60 rpm is constant (in some sort of resonance). If I have my calcs/assumptions wrong so far, please correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2011 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to Physics Forums.

You're general approach is correct. However, 60 rpm is actual 2*pi rad/s. I get 0.90 J for the energy. (I=0.046 kg-m2)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook