Rotating surface/friction question

• Thread starter xplosiv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotating
In summary, the conversation is about finding the point of static friction and determining the correct direction for it. The equation μ*m*g > m*ω²*r is used to determine the boundary where slipping starts, and it is dependent on the distance from the center of rotation. The aim is to have the object slip until it grabs.
xplosiv

Homework Statement

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9781/probs.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Hey guys, I understand how to find the static friction point (equate mv2/r to max static friction). However, I'm confused as to which direction (in to out or out to in) is the correct one ie. from kinetic slipping to 'sticking'. At the moment I'm thinking it's outside in (Jo's answer) but I can't justify it properly. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've determined the boundary where it starts to slip. And the boundary is dependent on

μ*m*g > m*ω²*r

or

r < μ*g/ω²

This means that outside this distance it slips doesn't it? If the aim is to have it slip until it grabs then ...

I would first like to clarify that the direction of motion is not relevant in determining the direction of friction force. Friction force always acts opposite to the direction of motion or the potential direction of motion.

In this scenario, the object is rotating on a surface, so the direction of friction force will be tangential to the surface at any given point. When the object is at the point of slipping, the direction of motion is tangential to the surface and the direction of friction force will be in the opposite direction, towards the center of rotation. This is because the object is trying to move away from the center of rotation, and the friction force is trying to oppose that motion.

On the other hand, when the object is at the point of sticking, the direction of motion is also tangential to the surface, but the object is trying to move towards the center of rotation. In this case, the friction force will act in the same direction as the direction of motion, outwards from the center of rotation. This is because the friction force is trying to prevent the object from sliding inward towards the center of rotation.

In summary, the direction of friction force will always be opposite to the direction of potential motion, regardless of whether the object is slipping or sticking. I hope this helps to clarify any confusion.

1. What is the definition of a rotating surface?

A rotating surface is any object or material that is capable of rotating or spinning around a central axis. This can include objects like wheels, gears, and turbines.

2. How does friction affect a rotating surface?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of two surfaces in contact. In the case of a rotating surface, friction can cause the surface to slow down or stop due to the resistance it creates.

3. What factors can affect the amount of friction on a rotating surface?

The amount of friction on a rotating surface can be influenced by several factors, such as the surface material, the weight or load on the surface, the speed of rotation, and the presence of lubricants or other substances.

4. How can friction on a rotating surface be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce friction on a rotating surface. One method is to use lubricants, which can reduce the resistance between two surfaces in contact. Another approach is to use materials with low coefficients of friction, such as Teflon or graphite.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding rotating surfaces and friction?

The study of rotating surfaces and friction has many practical applications in various industries, such as transportation, manufacturing, and construction. For example, understanding friction can help engineers design more efficient engines and machinery, while understanding rotating surfaces can aid in the development of better tires and other moving parts.