Rotational Dynamics of a disk

In summary: So in this case, angular acceleration would refer to the rotational acceleration of the point on the rim, not the radius.
webren
Hello,
I was able to solve this problem fine, but I had a question about it:

"A disk 8.00 cm in radius rotates at a constant rate of 1200 rev/min about its central axis. Determine (a) its angular speed, (b) the tangential speed at a point 3.00 cm from its center, (c) the radial acceleration of a point on a rim, and (d) the total distance a point on the rim moves in 2.00 s."

In solving the problem, I first converted the given information to SI units.
In solving for (a), the angular speed is given. It's only the conversion that was necessary, so a = 125.6 rad/s. In solving for b, I realized that tangential speed (v) = rw (where w is the greek letter omega, representing angular velocity). Multiplying the r and w gives you 3.79 m/s. Part C is where my question lies: I understand that radial/centripetal acceleration = v^2/r which = rw^2. If I plug in the given values for v^2/r (3.79^2/0.08), I don't get the right answer. If I plug in the values for rw^2, I do. If they're equivalent to each other, how come the answers aren't matching up?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
radial acceleration is not the same as centripetal acceleration.

Radial acceleration (alpha) is the rate at which angular velocity changes, which is "delta omega" over t. Since the angular velocity is constant, you don't need a calculator to get radial acceleration.

Your two answers for the centripetal acceleration are different because you are using the tangential speed for a point at 3 cm, not a point on the rim at 8 cm. Neither gives you the correct answer for radial acceleration though.

Centripetal acceleration is the rate at which a particle's velocity changes in direction (as opposed to the rate of changing magnitude of velocity--that's tangential acceleration).

Last edited:
My professor has said that radial and centipetal acceleration/force are the same thing. Or is it just force that is equivalent? You said radial acceleration is alpha, but alpha is used throughout the chapter as angular accleration. Is angular and radial acceleration the same thing then?

Thanks for your reply.

webren said:
My professor has said that radial and centipetal acceleration/force are the same thing. Or is it just force that is equivalent? You said radial acceleration is alpha, but alpha is used throughout the chapter as angular accleration. Is angular and radial acceleration the same thing then?

Thanks for your reply.
Oh my god my brain is fried. For some reason I confused the word "radial" with "angular." Your professor is correct, I was...it's hot here OK?

I think I'm correct in answering your actual question, right?

Haha, okay. Thanks for clearing that up.

Yes, in answering my direct question, what you said makes perfect sense.

I would use different terms; normal acceleration, for acceleration of the rim towards to axis, angular acceleration for the rotational acceleration sould omega change with time. That way you don't get confused.

the word "normal" already has a specific meaning when regarding circles; it refers to the direction that perpendicular to the plane of the circle. In other words, the direction parallel to the axis.

1. What is rotational dynamics of a disk?

Rotational dynamics of a disk is the study of how a disk behaves when it is rotating around an axis. This includes understanding the forces and torques that act on the disk, as well as its angular acceleration, angular velocity, and angular displacement.

2. What is the difference between translational and rotational motion?

Translational motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line, whereas rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around an axis. In rotational motion, the object maintains a fixed distance from the axis of rotation, whereas in translational motion, the object can change its distance from the starting point.

3. What is the moment of inertia of a disk?

The moment of inertia of a disk is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It depends on the mass of the disk, as well as its shape and distribution of mass. The larger the moment of inertia, the more difficult it is to change the rotation of the disk.

4. How does the angular velocity of a disk change when a torque is applied?

When a torque is applied to a disk, it will cause a change in the angular velocity of the disk. This change is directly proportional to the magnitude of the torque and inversely proportional to the moment of inertia. In other words, the larger the torque or the smaller the moment of inertia, the greater the change in angular velocity.

5. How is rotational kinetic energy related to the moment of inertia and angular velocity of a disk?

The rotational kinetic energy of a disk is equal to 1/2 times the moment of inertia times the square of the angular velocity. This means that the kinetic energy of a rotating disk is directly proportional to its moment of inertia and the square of its angular velocity.