Rotational Inertia with weight loads

In summary, the question being discussed is whether the weight of a load will affect the rotational inertia of wheels when designing them. It is mentioned that greater mass could make for a better flywheel, but the relationship between the mass of the load and the inertia of the wheels is not clear. Some variables that could influence the answer include the mass and design of the wheels, the mass of the load, and the goal of the wheel design. It is clarified that when calculating the moment of inertia of each wheel, only the mass of the wheel is important, while the mass of the load would need to be taken into account when calculating the movement of the entire cart.
shotgunshogun
How is rotational inertia effected by weight if at all? I am designing wheels and I'm considering the load placed on these wheels. I am not sure if the mass of the load should be incorperated into the inertia at all. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the question, how will distribution of weight(from center of rotation), affect rotational inertia? I'm not sure I understand the question.

Greater mass should make for a better flywheel though.

Think of a cart on wheels... the cart has some given mass and I want to know what's the relationship between the mass of the cart and the inertia of the wheels. I know the weight is dstributed evenly to the wheels, but i get stuck when it comes to the inertia, wether weight affects it or not

Maybe I'm still not getting it, but let me throw some things out there. Hopefully some others with more Newtonian Mechanics than I will chime in and shed some light. This looks like this could be a multi-faceted Mechanics problem, although I'm still having trouble understanding the exact problem.

1. I see the rotating wheel having rotational inertia

2. I see the "same" rolling wheel having inertia in the direction of travel

3. The first sentence asks "How is rotational inertia effected by weight if at all?"

Ill assume the "load" placed on these wheels is like the body of a car, or the body of a motorcyle, 4 or two wheels respectively. This coupling, or connecting to the wheels changes many things from a Classical Mechanics perspective.

If the car body was nearly zero in mass, and the car traveling in a straight line, I think the "coupled",(two or more wheels tied together), rotational inertia would be minimally effected.

If the car body was large in mass, the wheels rotational inertia would have only a small effect on the vehicle.

There are many variables possible in your question. I believe the answer could vary wildly given the adjustment of certain variables.

4. "mass of the load should be incorperated into the inertia at all" I'm scratching my head with this statement. Is it saying to alter the wheel's inertia,(by changing wheel design), if the cars mass has a significant influence?

5. What is the "goal" of the wheel design? , performance? gas miledge for a given mass?

Maybe I'm over analyzing the problem, hopefully I have been some help, perhaps someone will shed some light on this problem for both of us.

sry, I forget how specific you sometimes need to get with problems. Using the inertia of a cylinder, the equation is I = 1/2 * M(R^2) . Now that is for just the cylinder. What I am trying to figure out is if the mass of the load will sneak itself into the equation or will it be an outside factor that i will need to account for. And this mass is relatively signifcant. Approx. 114 kg on 4 wheels with radius 5.08 cm ( 2 in) and the wheels have a mass of 2 kg each.

Only the mass of the wheel is important when calculating the moment of inertia of each wheel. You need to worry about the mass of the load when calculating the movement of the entire cart.

1. What is rotational inertia with weight loads?

Rotational inertia with weight loads, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is affected by the object's mass, distribution of mass, and the axis of rotation.

2. How is rotational inertia with weight loads different from regular inertia?

Regular inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion, while rotational inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. Rotational inertia takes into account the distribution of mass and the axis of rotation, whereas regular inertia does not.

3. How does adding weight loads affect rotational inertia?

Adding weight loads to an object increases its rotational inertia, as the added mass increases the object's resistance to rotational motion. The distribution of the weight loads also plays a role in determining the object's rotational inertia.

4. Can rotational inertia with weight loads be changed?

Yes, rotational inertia with weight loads can be changed by altering the mass, distribution of mass, or axis of rotation of an object. For example, changing the position of weight loads on a spinning object can change its rotational inertia.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotational inertia with weight loads?

Some examples of rotational inertia with weight loads include spinning tops, merry-go-rounds, and ice skaters performing spins. These objects have a specific mass, distribution of weight, and axis of rotation, which affects their rotational inertia and allows them to perform rotational motions.