Rotational Motion and Equilibrium

In summary, to calculate the torque required for a 2.5 kg pulley with a radius of 0.15m to reach an angular speed of 25 rad/s after rotating 3.0 revolutions, starting from rest, one must first solve for time using t= theta/omega, then solve for angular acceleration using the equations of rotational motion. Finally, the torque can be calculated using the equation torque = (mr^2)(angular acceleration). The correct answer for this problem is 0.47 m-N.
hbailey

Homework Statement

A 2.5 kg pulley of radius 0.15m is pivoted about an axis through its center. What constant torque is required for the pulley to reach an angular speed 25rad/s after rotating 3.0 revolutions, starting from rest?

Homework Equations

torque = (mr^2)(angular acceleration)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I solved for time using t= omega/angular speed = 6(pie) rad / 25 rad/s = 0.75s.
Then, I solved for angular acceleration = 33 rad/s

Solving for torque, using the above equation, I got 1.9 m-N

The textbook I have says this is the wrong answer. What have I done?

The book says the answer is 0.47 m-N

Physics news on Phys.org
hbailey said:
First I solved for time using t= omega/angular speed = 6(pie) rad / 25 rad/s = 0.75s.

That seems wrong. Why is omega [itex]6\pi[/itex] radians? Isn't omega the angular speed? What you're calculating is the amount of time it would take for the pulley to rotate [itex]6\pi[/itex] radians at 25 rad/s.

In using t=omega/angular speed you are assuming that the angular speed is constant. As it starts from rest, this can't be right.

Torque/I = angular acceleration. w=0+at, where a=angular accn. 6pie=0.5at^2, using equations of rotational motion. Solve to get torque.

hbailey said:

Homework Statement

A 2.5 kg pulley of radius 0.15m is pivoted about an axis through its center. What constant torque is required for the pulley to reach an angular speed 25rad/s after rotating 3.0 revolutions, starting from rest?

Homework Equations

torque = (mr^2)(angular acceleration)

The Attempt at a Solution

Then, I solved for angular acceleration = 33 rad/s

Solving for torque, using the above equation, I got 1.9 m-N

The textbook I have says this is the wrong answer. What have I done?

The book says the answer is 0.47 m-N

Oh, instead of omega above, I meant theta.

What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. This type of motion can be seen in objects like planets rotating around the sun, or a spinning top.

What is equilibrium in rotational motion?

Equilibrium in rotational motion occurs when the net torque acting on an object is equal to zero. This means that the object will either remain at rest or continue to rotate at a constant speed without changing its direction.

How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves movement around an axis, while linear motion involves movement in a straight line. In rotational motion, the distance from the axis of rotation is important, while in linear motion, the distance traveled is important.

What factors affect rotational motion?

The factors that affect rotational motion include the mass and distribution of that mass in the object, the force applied, and the distance from the axis of rotation.

What are some real-life examples of rotational motion?

Some real-life examples of rotational motion include the rotation of the Earth on its axis, the spinning of a bicycle wheel, and the swinging of a pendulum. Other examples include the rotation of a car tire, the spinning of a drill bit, and the movement of a windmill.