Work Done on Rotational Motion Homework Problem

In summary, the work done by the person pulling the string is equal to the change in rotational kinetic energy, which can be calculated by using the equation F=ma and integrating from r to r1.
Fisicks

Homework Statement

A puck of mass m is attached to a cord that passes through a hole in a horizontal frictionless surface. The puck is originally moving in a circle of radius r and speed v. The cord is then slowly pulled from below, decreasing to a circle with radius r1. What is the work done by the person pulling the string?

Homework Equations

W=Fd
Iw=Iw conservation of rotational momentum
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to show that W is equal to the change in rotational kinetic energy. So I did W=FD.
F=m(v^2)(r^2)(1/R^3) where R is an arbitrary radius from r to r1. Thus I integrated what I set F equal too and multiplied by D=(r-r1). My answer is off by a factor of 1/4 b/c I calculated the change in rotational kinetic energy. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org

It seems like you are on the right track with your approach. However, there are a few things that could be adjusted to get the correct answer.

Firstly, when calculating the work done by the person pulling the string, it is important to consider the change in velocity of the puck as the radius decreases. This can be done by using the equation F=ma and substituting in the appropriate values for mass and acceleration.

Secondly, the equation you used for F is not entirely correct. It should be F=m(v^2)/r, where r is the radius of the circle at any given point. This accounts for the change in radius as the puck moves along the circular path.

Lastly, when integrating to find the work done, make sure to use the correct limits of integration. The limits should be from r to r1, not from 0 to r1.

Overall, your approach is correct, but there are a few adjustments that need to be made to get the correct answer. Keep up the good work!

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. This type of motion is commonly seen in objects such as wheels, spinning tops, and planets orbiting around the sun.

2. How is work done on rotational motion calculated?

Work done on rotational motion is calculated by multiplying the torque applied to an object by the angle through which the object rotates. The formula for calculating work done on rotational motion is W = τθ, where W is work, τ is torque, and θ is the angle of rotation.

3. What is the difference between linear motion and rotational motion?

The main difference between linear motion and rotational motion is the type of movement involved. In linear motion, an object moves in a straight line, while in rotational motion, an object moves around an axis or center point. Additionally, linear motion involves movement in one direction, while rotational motion can involve movement in multiple directions around the axis.

4. How does the mass and distribution of an object affect its rotational motion?

The mass and distribution of an object can affect its rotational motion in several ways. A heavier object will require more torque to rotate, while a lighter object will require less torque. Additionally, the distribution of mass within an object can affect its rotational inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotational motion?

There are many examples of rotational motion in everyday life, such as the rotation of a bicycle wheel, the spinning of a top, the swinging of a pendulum, and the rotation of the Earth on its axis. Other examples include the rotation of a ceiling fan, the movement of a spinning dancer, and the orbit of planets around the sun.