• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Rotational Spectroscopy Question

• Thread starter adiabatman
  • Start date
Which of the following molecules can be studied by purely rotational spectroscopy?

a) NH3 b) N2 c) CH4 d) SF6 e) CS f) CS2

The attempt at a solution[/b]

To my understanding, using only rotational spectroscopy could be used to study b) N2 and e) CS but I am not sure about my answer. Would the lack of a dipole for N2 make it unfit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

ehild
Homework Helper
Which of the following molecules can be studied by purely rotational spectroscopy?

a) NH3 b) N2 c) CH4 d) SF6 e) CS f) CS2

The attempt at a solution[/b]

To my understanding, using only rotational spectroscopy could be used to study b) N2 and e) CS but I am not sure about my answer. Would the lack of a dipole for N2 make it unfit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotational_spectroscopy
The rotational spectra of non-polar molecules cannot be observed by those methods, but can be observed and measured by Raman spectroscopy.

Which of the molecules above posses dipole momentum?

ehild

Likes 1 person
Thank you! Now I feel confident that e) CS is the answer

ehild
Homework Helper
What about NH3?

The NH3 molecule has a large dipole moment, and this is consistent with its geometry, a triangular
pyramid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonia

Structure

The ammonia molecule has a trigonal pyramidal shape as predicted by the valence shell electron pair repulsion theory (VSEPR theory) with an experimentally determined bond angle of 106.7°.[13] The central nitrogen atom has five outer electrons with an additional electron from each hydrogen atom. This gives a total of eight electrons, or four electron pairs that are arranged tetrahedrally. Three of these electron pairs are used as bond pairs, which leaves one lone pair of electrons. The lone pair of electrons repel more strongly than bond pairs, therefore the bond angle is not 109.5°, as expected for a regular tetrahedral arrangement, but is measured at 106.7°.[13] The nitrogen atom in the molecule has a lone electron pair, which makes ammonia a base, a proton acceptor. This shape gives the molecule a dipole moment and makes it polar.
ehild

Likes 1 person