Rotational Spectroscopy Question

In summary, Ammonia can be studied by rotational spectroscopy, but NH3 does not have a dipole moment and is not suitable for the study.
adiabatman
Which of the following molecules can be studied by purely rotational spectroscopy?

a) NH3 b) N2 c) CH4 d) SF6 e) CS f) CS2

The attempt at a solution[/b]

To my understanding, using only rotational spectroscopy could be used to study b) N2 and e) CS but I am not sure about my answer. Would the lack of a dipole for N2 make it unfit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
adiabatman said:
Which of the following molecules can be studied by purely rotational spectroscopy?

a) NH3 b) N2 c) CH4 d) SF6 e) CS f) CS2

The attempt at a solution[/b]

To my understanding, using only rotational spectroscopy could be used to study b) N2 and e) CS but I am not sure about my answer. Would the lack of a dipole for N2 make it unfit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotational_spectroscopy
The rotational spectra of non-polar molecules cannot be observed by those methods, but can be observed and measured by Raman spectroscopy.
Which of the molecules above posses dipole momentum?

ehild

Likes 1 person
Thank you! Now I feel confident that e) CS is the answer

What about NH3?

The NH3 molecule has a large dipole moment, and this is consistent with its geometry, a triangular
pyramid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonia

Structure

The ammonia molecule has a trigonal pyramidal shape as predicted by the valence shell electron pair repulsion theory (VSEPR theory) with an experimentally determined bond angle of 106.7°.[13] The central nitrogen atom has five outer electrons with an additional electron from each hydrogen atom. This gives a total of eight electrons, or four electron pairs that are arranged tetrahedrally. Three of these electron pairs are used as bond pairs, which leaves one lone pair of electrons. The lone pair of electrons repel more strongly than bond pairs, therefore the bond angle is not 109.5°, as expected for a regular tetrahedral arrangement, but is measured at 106.7°.[13] The nitrogen atom in the molecule has a lone electron pair, which makes ammonia a base, a proton acceptor. This shape gives the molecule a dipole moment and makes it polar.

ehild

Likes 1 person

Your answer is correct. Both N2 and CS can be studied using purely rotational spectroscopy. The lack of a dipole moment in N2 does not make it unfit for this technique, as rotational spectroscopy can also be used for non-polar molecules. However, molecules with a permanent dipole moment, such as NH3 and CH4, may also exhibit additional features in their rotational spectra due to their vibrational modes. Therefore, while these molecules can also be studied using rotational spectroscopy, the resulting spectra may be more complex. SF6 and CS2 are both non-polar molecules and therefore not suitable for purely rotational spectroscopy.

1. What is rotational spectroscopy?

Rotational spectroscopy is a branch of spectroscopy that deals with the study of the rotational energy levels of molecules. It involves the absorption and emission of electromagnetic radiation by molecules as they rotate around their axes.

2. How is rotational spectroscopy used in scientific research?

Rotational spectroscopy is used to identify and study the structure, composition, and behavior of molecules in various states. It is commonly used in fields such as chemistry, physics, and astronomy to determine molecular structures and properties, and to investigate molecular interactions and reactions.

3. What types of molecules are suitable for rotational spectroscopy?

Molecules with a permanent electric dipole moment can undergo rotational transitions, making them suitable for rotational spectroscopy. Examples include diatomic molecules, symmetric top molecules, and asymmetric top molecules.

4. How does rotational spectroscopy differ from other types of spectroscopy?

Rotational spectroscopy focuses specifically on the rotational energy levels of molecules, while other types of spectroscopy, such as infrared and ultraviolet spectroscopy, examine different energy levels and transitions. Rotational spectroscopy also provides more precise information about molecular structures and interactions.

5. What are some practical applications of rotational spectroscopy?

Rotational spectroscopy has many practical applications, such as determining the composition of gaseous mixtures, identifying pollutants in the atmosphere, analyzing the structure of biomolecules, and studying the properties of interstellar molecules. It is also used in the development of new materials and pharmaceuticals.