Round-Robin Matching Teams (Darts)

• B
  • Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary: It becomes harder when you take the advantage of throwing first into account - or are you doing middle for diddle?In summary, a user was searching for an algorithm that would ensure that all eight teams of darts players would play against each other, as well as circulate through the four available boards. They found a calculator that produced results to create a round-robin schedule where every team plays each other once before restarting the cycle. Another user suggested a Python code using the xor operator to create a valid pairing schedule without repeating any matches. However, incorporating the advantage of throwing first or using the diddle method may complicate the algorithm.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Looking for an algorithm to have every team play every other team.
It's been two years - long enough that the last thread I started about this appears to have gone off to that Great Recycle Bin in the Sky.

I have eight teams of darts players and 18 weeks of dart nights. I'm looking for an algorithm that ensures - not only that every teams plays each other - but that they play as many other teams as possible before coming back around to the original. Pretty sure that'll loop though every combination in 8 weeks, and then I'll just repeat the pattern one-point-two-five more times.

I'm trying various calculators online but so far no joy.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ah! Found what I was looking for.

This calculator: produced results* that ensured that - not only does every team play every other - but they circulate through the four available boards. It even fairly decides which team gets the first throw, (tough we don't do that - we diddle** for that privilege).

The gamut is reached after a mere seven nights, but this year, we will be playing for 18 weeks, meaning I start the loop again twice.

* You can just skip past the sign-up plea by clicking the 'Not Now' button

** Not nearly as fun as it sounds.

I'm not sure what the calculator does, but calculating the number of matchups of N teams is fairly straightforward. With N teams there will be ##(N - 1) + (N - 2) + \dots + 3 + 2 + 1## pairings, where no team plays itself (duh!). If this is hard to follow,
team 1 should play teams 2 thru N (N - 1 matches)
team 2 should play teams 3 thru N (N - 2 matches)
team 3 should play teams 4 thru N (N - 3 matches)
team N - 2 should play teams N - 1 and N (2 matches)
team N - 1 should play team N (1 match)
All together, the number of matches is as I showed above.

Symbolically, this is $$\sum_{k= 1}^{N - 1} k= \frac{(N -1)N}2$$
For example, if there are N = 5 teams, there are ##\frac{4 \cdot 5}2 = 10## matches. For your example, with N = 8 teams, there should be ##\frac{7 \cdot 8}2 = 28## matches.

Depending on how many matches can be played each night, you can figure out how long it will take for each team to play each other team -- one complete cycle.

With four boards every team plays every night, so you don't even need to sum anything - a team has seven different opponents so it will take 7 days to play against everyone else.

With 8 teams it's possible to find match-ups by hand using symmetries:
Make round-robins within 1-4 and 5-8 separately:
1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8
1-3, 2-4, 5-7, 6-8
1-4, 2-3, 5-8, 6-7
Now mix:
1-5, 2-6, 3-7, 4-8
1-6, 2-7, 3-8, 4-5
1-7, 2-8, 3-5, 4-6
1-8, 2-5, 3-6, 4-7
To mix up play more it's advisable to shuffle these 7 days.

Likes PeroK
mfb said:
To mix up play more it's advisable to shuffle these 7 days.
This is a case where one doesn't want more mixing. Because, essentially, more mixing means ... less mixing.

As it stands, every pair is a maximal distance (in time) from the next instance of that pair. Any shuffling will inevitably reduce the distance (in time) between certain teams playing each other again. (Resulting in players saying "Didn't we just play these guys, like, week before last?")

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Mark44 said:
Depending on how many matches can be played each night, you can figure out how long it will take for each team to play each other team -- one complete cycle.
As stated:
DaveC426913 said:
The gamut is reached after a mere seven nights.
For my parameters, the calculator only spits out seven nights of play, indicating it's covered all the combinations.

DaveC426913 said:
This is a case where one doesn't want more mixing. Because, essentially, more mixing means ... less mixing.

As it stands, every pair is a maximal distance (in time) from the next instance of that pair. Any shuffling will inevitably reduce the distance (in time) between certain teams playing each other again. (Resulting in players saying "Didn't we just play these guys, like, week before last?")
That certainly doesn't happen with @mfb's system. Every team plays every other once before restarting the entire cycle.

Yes it is trivial to construct a round robin where the only requirement is every team plays every other team exactly once.

It becomes harder when you take the advantage of throwing first into account - or are you doing middle for diddle?

The schedula can be computed with a 3 character expression
Python:
# t is team number from 0 up to 7
# w is week number from 1 up to 7 
# function returns the other team number

def other_team(t, w):
    return t^w

I assume you're supposed to do this mod 8? I think team 0 is always scheduled to play themselves. I'm also pretty sure you can only do something like this if the number of players is one less than a prime, and you assign them numbers 1 through p-1.

Edit: no, ##1^k## is always equal to 1 anyway, so I think this just doesn't work.

Office_Shredder said:
I assume you're supposed to do this mod 8? I think team 0 is always scheduled to play themselves. I'm also pretty sure you can only do something like this if the number of players is one less than a prime, and you assign them numbers 1 through p-1.

Edit: no, ##1^k## is always equal to 1 anyway, so I think this just doesn't work.
In Python the ^ operator is xor, not exponentiation. I haven't checked willem2's code.

pbuk said:
In Python the ^ operator is xor, not exponentiation. I haven't checked willem2's code.

Oh, that's clever. I think this works. Each week you pick a different set of bits to flip, so you don't match the same team twice. And if you xor with the same thing twice you get back to the original set of bits, so you have created valid pairings.

pbuk said:
Yes it is trivial to construct a round robin where the only requirement is every team plays every other team exactly once.

It becomes harder when you take the advantage of throwing first into account - or are you doing middle for diddle?
:
DaveC426913 said:
It even fairly decides which team gets the first throw, (though we don't do that - we diddle for that privilege).

Likes pbuk
DaveC426913 said:

You shuffle the set of 7 pairings I posted once and then you use that resulting list every 7 weeks. The distance between having the same opponent is always 7 weeks no matter which order of the 7 pairings you use.
Shuffling the list I posted goes beyond that basic requirement (which is always fulfilled). It helps that not just every team individually, but also pairs of teams (playing against each other) have a larger set of opponents in the week before/afterwards.

Likes pbuk
mfb said:
It helps that not just every team individually, but also pairs of teams (playing against each other) have a larger set of opponents in the week before/afterwards.

Yes, to give an example the original pairings for the first three weeks were:
Code:
1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8
1-3, 2-4, 5-7, 6-8
1-4, 2-3, 5-8, 6-7

After three weeks, none of teams {1, 2, 3, 4} has played against any of teams {5, 6, 7, 8} - there has in fact been been two separate 4-way round robins. If instead you swap weeks 2 and 3 for weeks 4 and 5 in the original list you get instead:
Code:
1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8
1-5, 2-6, 3-7, 4-8
1-6, 2-7, 3-8, 4-5
... which is better mixed. To optimise this as fully as possible you need to define a metric for 'mixing distance': some published lists of round robin pairings for e.g. match racing in yachts where there are additional constraints.

Last edited:
Likes mfb
This is the pattern I settled on:

Code:
     1     8     15    22    29    5    12
A   1,8   2,5   5,7   4,6   7,8   1,3   4,7
B   2,7   6,8   2,3   1,5   1,4   6,7   3,8
C   3,6   1,7   4,8   2,8   3,5   2,4   5,6
D   4,5   3,4   1,6   3,7   2,6   5,8   1,2

1. What is round-robin matching in darts?

Round-robin matching in darts is a method of organizing a tournament or league where each player or team plays against every other player or team in the competition. This ensures that every player has an equal chance to compete against each other and is a fair way to determine the overall winner.

2. How does round-robin matching work in darts?

In round-robin matching, each player or team is assigned a number and then matched up against every other player or team in a predetermined order. The matches can be played in a single round or multiple rounds, with points being awarded for wins and losses. At the end of the round-robin matches, the player or team with the most points is declared the winner.

3. What are the advantages of using round-robin matching in darts?

Round-robin matching ensures that every player has an equal chance to compete against each other, making it a fair method for determining the overall winner. It also allows for a larger number of participants to compete in a tournament or league without the need for elimination rounds.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using round-robin matching in darts?

One potential disadvantage of round-robin matching in darts is that it can be time-consuming, especially if there are a large number of players or teams involved. It also requires careful planning and organization to ensure that all matches are played and recorded accurately.

5. Can round-robin matching be used in other sports or competitions?

Yes, round-robin matching can be used in a variety of sports and competitions, including but not limited to tennis, soccer, and chess. It is a popular method for determining a fair winner in tournaments or leagues with a large number of participants.