Engineering: Routes & Foundations for a Career

• Thread starter joelio36
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, it is suggested to first decide on a specific type of engineering to pursue, such as Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical, Aerospace, Nuclear, or Materials. Many universities offer a general first-year program for all engineering students to explore different branches before declaring a major. While some people may get engineering jobs with physics degrees, it is more advantageous to pursue an engineering degree for an engineering job. Additionally, materials science/engineering has significant overlap with physics, while there is less overlap with other branches of engineering. Consider looking for "engineering physics" programs that combine engineering courses with materials physics courses. Alternatively, one could major in physics or engineering physics as an undergraduate and then specialize in a particular engineering discipline. Majors in both physics and engineering
joelio36
I'm glad I found this site, it has helped me over the last week decided what I want to do. With thanks to Russ-watters and his thread, and wikipedia, I've decided to put my all into being an engineer.
But I'm not sure what type of engineer I want to be, there are so many! I like the sound of designing structures and buildings and materials etc, but I may change my mind.

What is a sound foundation for engineering? If I take an undergrad in physics, could that lead to an engineering job?

Thanks

PS ANY advice would be greatly appricieated

Physics news on Phys.org
joelio36 said:
I'm glad I found this site, it has helped me over the last week decided what I want to do. With thanks to Russ-watters and his thread, and wikipedia, I've decided to put my all into being an engineer.
But I'm not sure what type of engineer I want to be, there are so many! I like the sound of designing structures and buildings and materials etc, but I may change my mind.

What is a sound foundation for engineering? If I take an undergrad in physics, could that lead to an engineering job?

Thanks

PS ANY advice would be greatly appricieated

If you are sure you want to go into engineering, but do not know what field, see if your school will allow you to enter into an "engineering-undecided" track or something of the like.

While I have seen people get engineering jobs with physics degrees, they were smaller in number, and mostly took electrical engineering positions. Physics and engineering, while have many common points, are very different courses of study. The physics studied during most of an undergraduate physics curriculum is different than what you are used to from high school. It can get much more abstract and much less "engineering oriented" as you move along through the courses. For this reason, I suggest that you don't major in physics if you know that some form of engineering is what you want to do. It would be much more advantageous to get an engineering degree.

Last edited:
In the field of materials science/engineering there is a lot of overlap between physics and engineering. Materials science is mostly concerned with (surprise!) the properties of materials - and manipulating these properties to create iPods, cell phones, little blue LEDs, cheap superconducting magnets for MRI machines, etc, etc.

Outside of materials science there is not very much overlap between physics and engineering. There are quite a few people with physics degrees who end up doing engineering-type jobs - but usually not in civil or mechanical engineering.

However, I do have a friend who got hired at Boeing working on nasty fluid flow problems after doing a PhD on black holes in funky dimensions.

Have you considered looking for "engineering physics" programs? An engineering course requires many more applied classes than a physics course. Engineering physics requires a lot of engineering courses (usually electrical engineering) along with some materials physics courses.

Last edited:
If you want an engineering job, you should go to school for engineering not physics.

There are a lot of engineering programs that have a general first year for all students to expose the students to the different branches of engineering. Then after the first year the students declare a discipline. I doubt all programs do this, but I know there are a good number of schools that do.

Perhaps the first step would be to decide what type of engineering one wishes to do, e.g. Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical, Aerospace, Nuclear, Materials, . . . . Most universities have departments based on engineering specialty.

One could major in physics or engineering physics as an undergrad, and then specialize.

Or one could major in physics and a particular engineering discipline, but that would require tremendous effort and discipline.

1. What is engineering?

Engineering is the application of scientific, mathematical, and practical knowledge to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes. This field covers a wide range of disciplines, including civil, mechanical, electrical, chemical, and computer engineering.

2. What are the career options in engineering?

There are numerous career options in engineering, including aerospace engineering, biomedical engineering, environmental engineering, industrial engineering, and many more. The specific career options available will depend on your chosen engineering discipline and your interests.

3. What are the educational requirements for a career in engineering?

Most engineering careers require at least a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. Some positions may also require a master's or doctoral degree. It is important to research the specific educational requirements for your desired career in engineering.

4. What skills are needed for a successful career in engineering?

Some essential skills for a successful career in engineering include problem-solving, critical thinking, analytical thinking, creativity, attention to detail, and strong communication and teamwork abilities. It is also important to have a strong foundation in math, science, and computer skills.

5. How can I prepare for a career in engineering?

To prepare for a career in engineering, it is important to take challenging math and science courses in high school. You can also participate in engineering-related extracurricular activities, such as robotics clubs or engineering competitions. Researching different engineering disciplines and internships or job shadowing opportunities can also help you gain a better understanding of the field and prepare for your future career.