Find Condition for Unique Solution to Row Reduction Homework Problem

In summary, you made a mistake in your row reduction, and as a result, you were not able to generate any infinite solutions for the homework equation.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Find the condition of k such that the set of equations x+y-z=1, x+2y+kz=-1, x+ky-z=1,
has a unique soltuion,infinite sol'n or no solution.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the augemented matrix form

[1 1 -1 1]
[1 2 k -1]
[1 k -1 -1]

R2-R1,R3-R1

[1 1 -1 1]
[0 1 (k+1) -2]
[0 (k-2) -(k+1) -2]

R3-(k-2)R2

[1 1 -1 1]
[0 1 (k+1) -2]
[0 0 -(k+1)(k+3) (2k-6)]

For a unique solution.

[itex]-(k+1)(k+3) \neq 0[/itex] so that [itex]k \neq 1,3[/itex]

For infinite soltutions -(k+1)(k+3)=0 AND 2k-6=0
so that k=-1,-3 AND k=3

This doesn't make sense to me, as k can only be on value at a time, and if k=3, there will be no solution as the ranks of the augmented matrix and the initial matrix won't be the same.

SO where in my row reduction did I go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You made a mistake in your second matrix. You have this:
[1 1 -1 1]
[0 1 (k+1) -2]
[0 (k-2) -(k+1) -2]
You should have this:
[1 1 -1 1]
[0 1 (k+1) -2]
[0 (k-1) 0 -2]

To get the new 3rd row, you added (-1) times R1 to R3. I think you misread the entries in the 3rd row of your first matrix as 1 (k -1) ?? 1, when they actually are 1 k (-1) 1.

I got the 2nd matrix you put, and then interchanged row2 and row3.

Then did (k-1)R3-R2 to get

[1 1 -1 |-1]
[0 (k-1) 0 |-2]
[0 0 (k+1)(k-1)| -2(k-1)+1]

which would make no sense to me when I try to give the set of infinite solutions with paramters as it would mean that k should be either 1 or -1 AND -2(k-1)+1=0 at the same time,which can't occur.

So, clearly there's something going on if k = 1 or if k = -1.
If k = 1, the original system is:
x + y - z = 1
x + 2y + z = -1
x + y - z = 1

Notice that the 1st and 3rd equations are identical.
The augmented matrix is:

[1 1 -1 | 1]
[1 2 1 | -1]
[1 1 -1 | 1]

This row-reduces to
[1 0 -3 | 3]
[0 1 0 | -2]
[0 0 0 | 0]
Infinite number of solutions. Geometrically the two planes intersect in a line. What went wrong on your row-reduction is that when you multiplied R3 by (k - 1), you were multiplying by 0.

If k = -1, the original system looks like this:
x + y - z = 1
x + 2y - z = -1
x - y - z = 1

And the augmented matrix is like so:

[1 1 -1 | 1]
[1 2 -1 | -1]
[1 -1 -1 | 1]

This reduces to
[1 1 -1 | 1]
[0 1 0 | -2]
[0 0 0 | -4]

From the 3rd row, you can see that 0x + 0y + 0z = -4, which is impossible, so there are no solutions. Geometrically, the three planes don't intersect.

Finally, if k is any value other than 1 or -1, you get a unique solution for (x, y, z), with a different set of values for each value of k. Geometrically, for each value of k other than 1 or -1, the three planes intersect at a single point.

If there is no one value of k that makes all numbers in the last row 0, then there is no value of k that will give infinite solutions. Values of k that make all except the last number in the last row 0 give no solution. Values of k that make the next to last number in the last rwo non-zero give a unique solution.

What is row reduction in linear algebra?

Row reduction is a process used in linear algebra to simplify a system of linear equations. It involves performing a series of elementary row operations on a matrix to transform it into an equivalent matrix that is easier to solve.

How does row reduction help in solving linear equations?

Row reduction helps in solving linear equations by reducing the matrix into a simpler form that contains the same solution as the original matrix. This simpler form can then be easily solved using back substitution or other methods to find the unique solution.

Why is it important to check for a unique solution in row reduction problems?

It is important to check for a unique solution in row reduction problems because not all systems of linear equations have a unique solution. If a system does not have a unique solution, it means that there are either infinitely many solutions or no solutions at all.

What conditions must be met for a row reduction problem to have a unique solution?

For a row reduction problem to have a unique solution, the system of linear equations must have the same number of equations as unknown variables, and the coefficient matrix must be invertible. This means that all the rows of the matrix must be linearly independent.

How can I determine if a coefficient matrix is invertible?

A coefficient matrix is invertible if its determinant is non-zero. To find the determinant, you can use a variety of methods such as cofactor expansion or Gaussian elimination. If the determinant is non-zero, then the matrix is invertible and the row reduction problem has a unique solution.