RRSP What amount does each have today?

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
In summary, both Grant and Kera are in the same place at the age of 75 due to their different investment strategies. Kera invested $1000 a year for 20 years while Grant only started investing at age 50 and made an annual deposit of $3000 beginning at age 50. The average interest rate he received on his investment was 8%/a compounded annually.
aisha
Grant and Kera are both 75 years old. When Kera was 20 she began investing $1000 a year into an RRSP paying an average of 6%/a compounded annually. Grant on the other hand, did not start to invest until age 50. He made an annual deposit of $3000 beginning at age 50. The average interest rate he received on his investment was 8%/a compounded annually. Solve each of the following using the TVM solver (graphing calculator finance application)

I need help doing this even with formulas doesn't have to be with graphing calculator

1) What amount does each have today?

For this question I don't know which formula I should be using or solving for in the calc Present Value or Future Value?

2)What should Grant have invested each year in order to have the same amount as Kera at age 75?

I don't know what to do for this part, how would you use the calculator alone trial and error?

3.) If Grant could only afford to invest $3000 per month, what average rate of interest would result in his saving the same amount as Kera? I did this question and when i solved for interest i got a negative number y?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
aisha said:
1) What amount does each have today?

For this question I don't know which formula I should be using or solving for in the calc Present Value or Future Value?

Future Value. In this case 'today' is when they are 75. This is after all payments have been made (and gained interest)

aisha said:
2)What should Grant have invested each year in order to have the same amount as Kera at age 75?

I don't know what to do for this part, how would you use the calculator alone trial and error?

Kera has K dollars at age 75 (you'll know K from the last part). Grant has an annuity from age 50 to age 75 at 8% interest and payments of some undertemined amount x that will make this annuitiy equal to K at age 75. Solve for x (you've seen this type of problem before I'm sure).

aisha said:
3.) If Grant could only afford to invest $3000 per month, what average rate of interest would result in his saving the same amount as Kera? I did this question and when i solved for interest i got a negative number y?

Same setup as part 2) except you know x=3000 and the interest is an unknown. Set it up and solve for the interest. This will take trial and error or some kind of program. This may be the TVM thingie you mentioned?

Ahh, I think there's a typo in part 3) that explains your negative answer. Grant can probably afford $3000 per year, not per month.

Last edited:
Thanks yes there was a typo in 3 everything is fine I just handed the assignment in hope i get good :rofl:

1. What is an RRSP?

An RRSP (Registered Retirement Savings Plan) is a type of savings account that allows individuals to save for their retirement while receiving tax benefits.

2. How much can I contribute to my RRSP?

The maximum amount you can contribute to your RRSP is based on your income and is subject to annual limits set by the government. As of 2021, the contribution limit is 18% of your previous year's earned income, up to a maximum of $27,830.

3. What is the deadline to contribute to an RRSP?

The deadline to contribute to an RRSP for the current tax year is March 1st. For example, if you want to make a contribution for the 2020 tax year, you have until March 1st, 2021, to do so.

4. How much can I withdraw from my RRSP?

You can withdraw from your RRSP at any time. However, the amount you withdraw will be subject to a withholding tax and will also count as taxable income. The exact amount you can withdraw will depend on your individual tax situation.

5. What happens to my RRSP when I retire?

When you retire, you have several options for your RRSP, including converting it to a Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF) or purchasing an annuity. You can also choose to withdraw the funds, but they will be subject to a withholding tax and will count as taxable income.