S: Understanding Space-Time Confusion

In summary, everything has a fixed total space-time velocity which remains constant, even if you are moving in space.
TwistedmAGPIe
Hi.

I don't mean to sound stupid but I'm quite new to learning about space but I'm real hooked on understanding how it all works. One thing that I come across a lot is Space-Time...I'm really not sure that I understand how it in itself works...How something can move in a different time if it moves faster etc...I've tried to find documentaries that would help but am finding it difficult to find something specific to space-time itself. Can anyone suggest anything I can watch online or download that would clear this cloud in my mind?!?

mAGPIe

Space news on Phys.org
How is this for a simple analogy;

You have to accept first that everything has a fixed total space-time velocity. Let's apply this to regular 3 dimensional space. Say you are traveling and 100 Km/h due east. Your total velocity is 100 km/h. Now let's say you turn a bit so that you are going north-east. Your easterly velocity has become smaller, and your northerly velocity had increased from zero to some value. If you work out the total velocity, you still get 100 km/h.

Now, the trick with space-time is that in addition to the components of velocity in space (i.e. dx/dt, dy/dt, dz/dt) you also have a component in time (dT/dt). If you're not moving with respect to space, then you are just moving in time. Once you start to move in space, say you pick up a component dx/dt, then your component dT/dt becomes smaller to compensate, such that your total '4-velocity' stays constant.

For my two time co-ordinates, t is your time, the time on your watch, and T is the time that someone who is stationary with respect to the x,y,z co-ordinates observers you to have. So if you move with respect to someone, they see your time go slower than theirs.

Wallace said:
How is this for a simple analogy;

You have to accept first that everything has a fixed total space-time velocity. Let's apply this to regular 3 dimensional space. Say you are traveling and 100 Km/h due east. Your total velocity is 100 km/h. Now let's say you turn a bit so that you are going north-east. Your easterly velocity has become smaller, and your northerly velocity had increased from zero to some value. If you work out the total velocity, you still get 100 km/h.

Now, the trick with space-time is that in addition to the components of velocity in space (i.e. dx/dt, dy/dt, dz/dt) you also have a component in time (dT/dt). If you're not moving with respect to space, then you are just moving in time. Once you start to move in space, say you pick up a component dx/dt, then your component dT/dt becomes smaller to compensate, such that your total '4-velocity' stays constant.

For my two time co-ordinates, t is your time, the time on your watch, and T is the time that someone who is stationary with respect to the x,y,z co-ordinates observers you to have. So if you move with respect to someone, they see your time go slower than theirs.

Would this not result in a linear decrease of dT/dt instead of what is experimentally observed? A chart of of speed vs time will show small decreases in dT/dt until very close to the speed of light at which time dT/dt decreases rapidly.

Related to S: Understanding Space-Time Confusion

1. What is space-time confusion?

Space-time confusion refers to the confusion or misunderstanding that arises when trying to understand the complex relationship between space and time in the universe. It is a concept that is often explored in physics and astronomy, and is a fundamental aspect of understanding the nature of our universe.

2. How does space-time differ from traditional notions of space and time?

In traditional notions of space and time, they were thought of as separate and distinct entities. However, in the theory of relativity, space and time are considered to be interconnected and dependent on one another. This means that changes in one can affect the other, and they cannot be fully understood in isolation.

3. What is the theory of relativity and how does it relate to space-time confusion?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental theory in physics that explains how gravity works and how objects move through space and time. It relates to space-time confusion because it challenges our traditional understanding of space and time and introduces the concept of space-time as a unified entity.

4. What are some real-world examples of space-time confusion?

One example of space-time confusion is the phenomenon of time dilation, which occurs when an object moves at high speeds or experiences intense gravitational fields. This can cause time to pass differently for different observers, leading to a discrepancy in their perceptions of time. Another example is the concept of space-time curvature, where the presence of massive objects can warp the fabric of space and time.

5. Why is it important to understand space-time confusion?

Understanding space-time confusion is crucial for gaining a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws and principles that govern our universe. It also allows us to make accurate predictions and explanations of various phenomena, such as the behavior of planets and stars, and the effects of gravity on objects. Additionally, space-time confusion is a key concept in modern physics and plays a crucial role in the development of new theories and technologies.