Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Safe solar panel set up?

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1
    So I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to electrical connections and the like but I tend to have a fair idea. I'm currently planning on building a solar panel with the hope that it will power appliances throughout my house.

My planned set up is as follows:

>> 36 0.5V 3.6A cells connected in series so I'd imagine that's about 60W (I may hook up an identical panel in parallel to produce 120W),
    >> Connect the panel to a charge controller (with a built in blocking diode).
    >> Connect to a 12V deep cycle battery.
    >> Connect to a 12V-230V 300W Inverter.

So first off, is this a correct set up, ie will it actually work/have I missed any key things?
    Is any grounding required and if so where abouts in the set up?
    Is there a specific type of wire that I should be using?

I'd really appreciate any help here plus anything else I may need to do, obviously my main concern is safety and I don't want anything going wrong.
    Also if anyone else on here has successfully built a solar panel I'd love to hear your set up.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted