Charging a capacitor using a 4V solar panel

In summary, Solar panels can produce up to 20 volts when charging a capacitor. This voltage can be increased by using a higher voltage solar panel and a lower current resistor.
Clancy John
Will a 4V solar panel connected to a 100V rated capacitor stop charging the cap at 4V or will the cap keep pulling ad infinitum? Seems like the capacitor has no knowledge of the notion "I am full so stop drawing current" else they would not get destroyed if the solar panel was 500V instead. I know how to protect the panel with a diode when the panel drops output below the caps charge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Artlav said:
the existence of such ICs do provide a new direction for searching.

Take the datasheet block diagram and make one of your own. Use higher voltage components. I would suggest using a canned switcher for that part of the circuit. Something buck/boost would be best. Search for SEPIC. There will be a "black box" somewhere in the diagram for the main MPPT controller. That special sauce is described in usually fairly good detail in the datasheet. Drop in a micro program it and you're good to go.

BoB

Clancy John said:
Sorry to go off-topic but will a 4V solar panel connected to a 100V rated capacitor stop charging the cap at 4V or will the cap keep pulling ad infinitum? Seems like the capacitor has no knowledge of the notion "I am full so stop drawing current" else they would not get destroyed if the solar panel was 500V instead. I know how to protect the panel with a diode when the panel drops output below the caps charge.

The capacitor will charge up to the voltage on the source. Doesn't matter what its rating is. Read a little about RC circuits on wikipedia to make it clear.

Clancy John said:
Sorry to go off-topic but will a 4V solar panel connected to a 100V rated capacitor stop charging the cap at 4V or will the cap keep pulling ad infinitum? Seems like the capacitor has no knowledge of the notion "I am full so stop drawing current" else they would not get destroyed if the solar panel was 500V instead. I know how to protect the panel with a diode when the panel drops output below the caps charge.
A cap does not care what voltage it's rated at as long as you don't exceed that rating. 4V hardly comes close to exceeding the rating of a 100V cap. How could you expect a 4V source to produce more than a 4V charge on a cap?

phinds said:
A cap does not care what voltage it's rated at as long as you don't exceed that rating. 4V hardly comes close to exceeding the rating of a 100V cap. How could you expect a 4V source to produce more than a 4V charge on a cap?
That's what I was wondering.

Averagesupernova said:
That's what I was wondering.
Well, can a 4V source produce more than 4V?

Old thread, but you can convert that 4V to a higher voltage at lower current minus some loss in electronics. Power remains about the same.

As to what charging a capacitor with a solar panel looks like, I recently did this experiment to test a solar panels power point voltage. I am simply charging a capacitor thru a 0.5 ohm resistor. YELLOW is the volts climbing to about 20V where the current BLUE eventually stops. The top flat portion is the panels Isc till it drops. RED is voltage multiplied by the current, power. That peak is the voltage where you can get the most power, Impp &Vmpp. It is nice to see science work just like the data sheets say.
PVcurve32W14.8V2.2As.jpg

• Informative
Likes Tom.G

1. How long will it take to charge a capacitor using a 4V solar panel?

The time it takes to charge a capacitor using a 4V solar panel will depend on the size and capacitance of the capacitor, as well as the intensity of sunlight hitting the solar panel. In general, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes to fully charge a capacitor with a 4V solar panel.

2. Can I use a 4V solar panel to charge a capacitor with a higher voltage rating?

Yes, it is possible to use a 4V solar panel to charge a capacitor with a higher voltage rating. However, the charging time will be longer and it may not reach the full voltage rating of the capacitor. It is important to check the specifications and ratings of both the solar panel and capacitor before attempting to charge them together.

3. Is it safe to charge a capacitor using a 4V solar panel?

Yes, it is generally safe to charge a capacitor using a 4V solar panel. However, it is important to handle the capacitor carefully and follow proper safety precautions, as capacitors can store a significant amount of electrical energy. It is also recommended to use a resistor in series with the capacitor to limit the charging current and prevent damage to the solar panel.

4. What is the maximum capacitance that can be charged using a 4V solar panel?

The maximum capacitance that can be charged using a 4V solar panel will depend on the intensity of sunlight and the charging time. In general, a 4V solar panel is suitable for charging small capacitors with a capacitance of up to a few hundred microfarads. Larger capacitors may require a higher voltage solar panel or longer charging time.

5. Can a 4V solar panel charge multiple capacitors at once?

Yes, a 4V solar panel can charge multiple capacitors at once, as long as the total capacitance does not exceed the recommended maximum capacitance for the solar panel. It is important to connect the capacitors in parallel to ensure that they are charged equally and to avoid damaging the solar panel or capacitors.