Sakura page 85: how to do this proof?

• Thread starter omoplata
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the equations (2.2.23a) and (2.2.23b) from "Modern Quantum Mechanics, revised edition" by J. J. Sakurai, page 85 state that [x_i,F(p)] = i \hbar \frac{\partial F}{\partial p_i} and [p_i,G(x)] = -i \hbar \frac{\partial G}{\partial x_i}, respectively. These equations can be easily proven by repeatedly applying (1.6.50e), which is given by [A,BC]=[A,B]C+B[A,C]. To solve the problem of [x_i,F(p)], the function F(p) can be written as an expansion
omoplata
From "Modern Quantum Mechanics, revised edition" by J. J. Sakurai, page 85.

Eqn (2.2.23a),[tex]
[x_i,F(\mathbf{p})] = i \hbar \frac{\partial F}{\partial p_i}
[/tex]Eqn(2.2.23b)[tex]
[p_i,G(\mathbf{x})] = -i \hbar \frac{\partial G}{\partial x_i}[/tex]
It says "We can easily prove both formulas by repeatedly applying (1.6.50e)."

(1.6.50e) is,[tex]
[A,BC]=[A,B]C+B[A,C][/tex]

I can't figure it out. How do I do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Say you taylor expand the function. Then you just need to figure out what is e.g. [x,p^n]

Hi, in the case of

\begin{bmatrix}x,F(p)\end{bmatrix}

for the unidimensional variable x for example, you must write [itex]\textit{F(p)}[/itex] as an expansion.

Then,

F(P) = sum Cn.p^n

Then apply the derivate to the expansion and replace in the commutator.

Keep trying and let us know if you could.

Regards

Thanks for the help.

Like this?
[tex]
F(\mathbf{p}) = F(\mathbf{0}) + \Sigma_{n=1}^\infty \left( \frac{\partial^n F(\mathbf{p})}{\partial p^n} \right)_{\mathbf{p} = \mathbf{0}} \frac{\mathbf{p}^n}{n!}
[/tex]
Then,[tex]
\left[ x_i, F(\mathbf{p}) \right] = \left[ x_i, F(\mathbf{0}) + \Sigma_{n=1}^\infty \left( \frac{\partial^n F(\mathbf{p})}{\partial p^n} \right)_{\mathbf{p} = \mathbf{0}} \frac{\mathbf{p}^n}{n!}
\right] = \left[ x_i, \Sigma_{n=1}^\infty \left( \frac{\partial^n F(\mathbf{p})}{\partial p^n} \right)_{\mathbf{p} = \mathbf{0}} \frac{\mathbf{p}^n}{n!}
\right]
[/tex], and ignore second order and higher terms, and take [itex]\left( \frac{\partial F(\mathbf{p})}{\partial p} \right)_{\mathbf{p} = \mathbf{0}}[/itex] to be a constant?

omoplata said:
and ignore second order and higher terms, and take [itex]\left( \frac{\partial F(\mathbf{p})}{\partial p} \right)_{\mathbf{p} = \mathbf{0}}[/itex] to be a constant?
Why would you ignore the higher order terms? You will need to work out ##[x,p^{n}]##, as jeppetrost mentioned earlier.
Isn't [itex]\left( \frac{\partial F(\mathbf{p})}{\partial p} \right)_{\mathbf{p} = \mathbf{0}}[/itex] a constant to begin with?

You use (1.6.50e) to find ##[x,p^n]##. The proper way is to do it explicitly for the first few values of n, then guess the formula for arbitrary n, and finally prove by induction that your guess is correct.

OK, I almost got it this time.
[tex]
\begin{eqnarray}
\left[ x_i, F(\mathbf{p}) \right] & = & \left[ x_i, F(\mathbf{0}) + \Sigma_{n=1}^\infty \left( \frac{\partial^n F(\mathbf{p})}{\partial p^n} \right)_{\mathbf{p} = \mathbf{0}} \frac{\mathbf{p}^n}{n!} \right]\\
& = & \left[ x_i, \Sigma_{n=1}^\infty \left( \frac{\partial^n F(\mathbf{p})}{\partial p^n} \right)_{\mathbf{p} = \mathbf{0}} \frac{\mathbf{p}^n}{n!} \right]\\
& = & \Sigma_{n=1}^\infty \left( \frac{\partial^n F(\mathbf{p})}{\partial p^n} \right)_{\mathbf{p} = \mathbf{0}} \frac{1}{n!} \left[x_i, \mathbf{p}^n \right]
\end{eqnarray}
[/tex]
Then,
[tex]
\left[x_i,\mathbf{p}^n \right]
= \left[x_i,\mathbf{p} \cdot \mathbf{p}^{n-1} \right] = \left[x_i,\mathbf{p} \right] \mathbf{p}^{n-1} + x_i \left[\mathbf{p}, \mathbf{p}^{n-1} \right] = i \hbar \mathbf{p}^{n-1}
[/tex]
Plugging this back in,
[tex]
\begin{eqnarray}
\left[ x_i, F(\mathbf{p}) \right]
& = & i \hbar \Sigma_{n=1}^\infty \left( \frac{\partial^n F(\mathbf{p})}{\partial p^n} \right)_{\mathbf{p} = \mathbf{0}} \frac{\mathbf{p}^{n-1}}{n!}\\
& = & i \hbar \Sigma_{n=1}^\infty \left( \frac{\partial^{n-1} \left( \frac{ \partial F(\mathbf{p})}{\partial p} \right) } {\partial p^{n-1}} \right)_{\mathbf{p} = \mathbf{0}} \frac{\mathbf{p}^{n-1}}{n!}\\
& = & i \hbar \Sigma_{n=0}^\infty \left( \frac{\partial^{n} \left( \frac{ \partial F(\mathbf{p})}{\partial p} \right) } {\partial p^{n}} \right)_{\mathbf{p} = \mathbf{0}} \frac{\mathbf{p}^{n}}{(n+1)!}
\end{eqnarray}
[/tex]
If I somehow changed that (n+1) to an n, that would be the answer. Where did I go wrong?

omoplata said:
[tex]
\left[x_i,\mathbf{p}^n \right]
= \left[x_i,\mathbf{p} \cdot \mathbf{p}^{n-1} \right] = \left[x_i,\mathbf{p} \right] \mathbf{p}^{n-1} + x_i \left[\mathbf{p}, \mathbf{p}^{n-1} \right][/tex]
That last term is wrong. Look at (1.6.50e) again.

I'm pretty sure there are other, easier, ways to solve this problem. For example one could consider the action of the commutator on the wavefunction in momentum space for Eqn (2.2.23a), and in position space for Eqn (2.2.23b).

[tex]
[p_i,G(\mathbf{x})]\psi \leftrightarrow -i\hbar \frac{\partial }{\partial x_i} \left( G(\mathbf{x})\psi(\mathbf{x})\right) - G(\mathbf{x}) \left( -i\hbar \frac{\partial }{\partial x_i}\psi(\mathbf{x}) \right) = -i\hbar\left.\frac{\partial G}{\partial x_i}\right|_{\mathbf{x}} \psi(\mathbf{x})[/tex]

There is no loss of rigor doing it this way. From the result above [itex][p_i,G(\mathbf{x})] [/itex] clearly has the [itex]\mathbf{x}[/itex] eigenbasis with eigenvalues [itex]-i\hbar\left.\frac{\partial G}{\partial x_i}\right|_{\mathbf{x}}[/itex].

Last edited:
That's an interesting approach MisterX. I think it requires a deeper understanding of what we're allowed to do, so I'm not sure I can agree that it's easier (for a typical student of Sakurai), but your solution is certainly much shorter.

Fredrik said:
That last term is wrong. Look at (1.6.50e) again.

Yeah, thanks. Correcting that,
[tex]
\begin{eqnarray}
\left[x_i,\mathbf{p}^n \right] &
= & \left[x_i,\mathbf{p} \cdot \mathbf{p}^{n-1} \right]
= \left[x_i,\mathbf{p} \right] \mathbf{p}^{n-1} + \mathbf{p} \left[x_i, \mathbf{p}^{n-1} \right]\\

\left[x_i,\mathbf{p}^{n-1} \right] &
= & \left[x_i,\mathbf{p} \cdot \mathbf{p}^{n-2} \right]
= \left[x_i,\mathbf{p} \right] \mathbf{p}^{n-2} + \mathbf{p} \left[x_i, \mathbf{p}^{n-2} \right]\\
& \dots & \\
\end{eqnarray}
[/tex]
So,
[tex]
[x_i,\mathbf{p}^n] = n i \hbar \mathbf{p}^{n-1}
[/tex]
Therefore,
[tex]
\begin{eqnarray}
\left[ x_i, F(\mathbf{p}) \right]
& = & i \hbar \Sigma_{n=1}^\infty \left( \frac{\partial^n F(\mathbf{p})}{\partial p^n} \right)_{\mathbf{p} = \mathbf{0}} \frac{\mathbf{p}^{n-1}}{(n-1)!}\\
& = & i \hbar \Sigma_{n=1}^\infty \left( \frac{\partial^{n-1} \left( \frac{ \partial F(\mathbf{p})}{\partial p} \right) } {\partial p^{n-1}} \right)_{\mathbf{p} = \mathbf{0}} \frac{\mathbf{p}^{n-1}}{(n-1)!}\\
& = & i \hbar \Sigma_{n=0}^\infty \left( \frac{\partial^{n} \left( \frac{ \partial F(\mathbf{p})}{\partial p} \right) } {\partial p^{n}} \right)_{\mathbf{p} = \mathbf{0}} \frac{\mathbf{p}^{n}}{n!}\\
& = & \frac{\partial F(\mathbf{p})}{\partial p}\\
\end{eqnarray}
[/tex]
,which is the solution.

One small final question. I think [itex]\mathbf{p}[/itex] here is a vector. In the above, I did the same as I would do for a scalar. Would the procedure be different for a vector.

omoplata said:
One small final question. I think [itex]\mathbf{p}[/itex] here is a vector. In the above, I did the same as I would do for a scalar. Would the procedure be different for a vector.
Yes, the Taylor expansion would more complicated, and that makes the rest of it more complicated as well. You can still use the same idea, but the notation will be a pain. The multi-index notation used here can probably reduce that pain.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of doing a proof for Sakura page 85?

The purpose of doing a proof for Sakura page 85 is to demonstrate the validity of a statement or theorem in mathematics. By providing a logical and rigorous proof, we can show that the statement is true and can be applied in various situations.

2. How do I start a proof for Sakura page 85?

The first step in starting a proof for Sakura page 85 is to clearly state the given information and what needs to be proven. This will help guide your approach and ensure that your proof is focused and organized.

3. What are the key elements of a proof for Sakura page 85?

A proof for Sakura page 85 should include a clear statement of the problem, a sequence of logical steps, and a conclusion that follows from those steps. It should also be concise and easy to follow, with each step clearly explained and justified.

4. How do I know if my proof for Sakura page 85 is correct?

To ensure the correctness of your proof for Sakura page 85, you should carefully check each step and make sure it follows logically from the previous ones. You can also ask a colleague or mentor to review your proof and provide feedback.

5. What should I do if I get stuck while doing a proof for Sakura page 85?

If you encounter difficulties while doing a proof for Sakura page 85, it's important to take a step back and try to understand where you are getting stuck. You can also consult other resources such as textbooks or online forums for guidance. Sometimes, discussing the problem with others can also help you find a solution.