Salt crystal forms after 3 days of evaporation

In summary: So, the answer would be 4,294,967,296 atoms/second.In summary, if a salt crystal forms after 3 days of evaporation, and the crystal mass is 30 mg, 5,1332 Na+ and Cl- ions was added to the crystal each second.
sveioen
If a salt crystal forms after 3 days of evaporation, and the crystal mass is 30 mg, how many Na+ and Cl- ions was added to the crystal each second (average). How do I solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org

This is essentially a units conversion problem. You want to change from milligrams per days to atoms per second. In this case, whether "ions" or "atoms" does not change the units conversion needed. You will need to first to determine, calculate the formula weight of sodium chloride.

Ok, so I have [tex]MM_{NaCl}=58.44277 \text{g/mol}[/tex], and I guess I have will have to find the amount of moles; [tex]n=\frac{30\times 10^{-3}}{58.44277}=5,1332\times 10^{-4}[/tex]. So far so good? Would the next thing be to do [tex]\frac{5,1332\times 10^{-4}}{3*24*60^2}[/tex], to get the number of moles crystallized per second?

Your work seems good; now remember since you wanted "ions", the actual count of ions in the amount of time, you need to use 1 mole = 6.022*10^23 atoms or whatever individual countable item you are counting.

Excellent! So, I got [tex]1,9804\times 10^{-9}\mbox{ moles/second}[/tex]. So the amount of Na and Cl that crystallizes each second would be [tex]6,0221415\times 10^{23}\times 1,9804\times 10^{-9}=1,1926\times 10^{15}[/tex]. I guess that since the mole ratio is 1:1, [tex]Na^{+}=\frac{1,1926\times 10^{15}}{2}\mbox{, } Cl^{-}= \frac{1,1926\times 10^{15}}{2}[/tex], right?

Instead of confirming or denying your results in post #5 directly, try reworking everything on paper (for convenience) and include ALL units in your arrangement; this will help you be clear about your arrangement and you can perform your units analysis.

Ok, I did, and I ended up with getting atoms/second, which I guess is..right?

i think you don´t have to divide the sum of atoms by 2 to get the number of Na+ or Cl- atoms, because if you have, let's say 1mole of NaCl, then it has 1mole of Na+ and 1mole Cl- atoms, which means twice as many particles as in NaCl.

vaazu, you are correct; one could first view the count of units of NaCl, and then multiply by two, since there are 2 atoms in one formula's atomic combination for NaCl.

Related to Salt crystal forms after 3 days of evaporation

1. How does salt crystallize after 3 days of evaporation?

Salt crystallizes after 3 days of evaporation due to the process of evaporation. When water evaporates, the salt molecules become more concentrated and eventually form crystals as the water completely evaporates.

2. What factors affect the formation of salt crystals?

The formation of salt crystals can be affected by several factors such as temperature, humidity, and the concentration of salt in the water. Higher temperatures and lower humidity levels can speed up the evaporation process, while higher concentrations of salt can lead to larger and more defined crystals.

3. Can salt crystals form in other liquids besides water?

Yes, salt crystals can form in other liquids besides water, such as alcohol or vinegar. However, the process may differ slightly as these liquids may have different boiling points and evaporation rates compared to water.

4. How long does it take for salt crystals to form during evaporation?

The time it takes for salt crystals to form during evaporation can vary depending on the amount of water and salt present, as well as environmental factors such as temperature and humidity. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days for salt crystals to fully form.

5. What is the purpose of studying salt crystal formation?

Studying salt crystal formation can help scientists understand the process of evaporation and how it affects the concentration and behavior of different substances. It can also have practical applications, such as in the production of salt or in understanding the formation of minerals in nature.