Salt Crystals: Do Negative Ions Emit?

In summary: It's not clear how much heat is required to cause this decomposition, but it would be sufficiently high to produce significant amounts of ions.
TalonD
I'm not sure where this question belongs, maybe in chemistry? move it if necessary.
so the quest is this

I have a salt crystal lamp. it is a large block of salt on a wood base with a light bulb inside a hollow in the salt. the selling point of these lamps is that the heat from the lightbulb causes negative ions to be emitted from the salt. (suposedly a health benefit but I don't believe it) My question is, would a warm lamp inside a large salt crystal actually cause negative ions to be emitted from the salt? or is that just clever advertising to the sientifically illiterate public? by the way.. I didn't purchase it :P

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like nonsense.

Sounds like nonsense to me too, but I didn't know enough physics to say wheather or not negative ions could be driven off the salt crystal by heating it. admittedly only a warm to the touch heat.

Heating can drive valence electrons out of the atom and out of the material. Vacuum tubes are based on this principle. Ions are created, but they remain in the crystalline structure.
There is no way an ion could be separated from the material by the heat of a light bulb.

My sister got one of these a couple years ago as a Christmas gift from one of her FLAKY friends. At the time, the claim was something about it purifying the air or some silliness. On the upside, it's a pretty lamp. It gives a nice soft glow, like a candle, when lit. So, if you think it's worth the price for a decorative lamp, it works just fine as a lamp. As for cleaning the air or giving off any sort of ions...yep, gimmick for the gullible.

Salt Lamps

Salt Lamp sold by Crystalite Salt
CLAIM: Negative ions are produced when you heat the salt rock that removes harmful positive ions produced by artificial electromagnetic waves
REALITY: The representative could not answer specific questions and pointed the scientist to the internet. When the physicist contacted the 'Amazing Health' website for concrete evidence she was told to 'try one and see for yourself.'
Concluding their report the team said: "The Voice of Young Science network has published this snapshot to encourage more people, from all avenues of science and indeed walks of life, to take part in actively challenging misinformation."

Peter Atkins, chemistry professor at Oxford University said: "The public is well served by scientists prepared to spend time exposing scientific nonsense...they should be applauded for acting as warriors against claptrap."

edit...oops... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-11-companies-making-false-health-claims.html

Anyone making claims about their product should really have a public relations officer or direct line to the research department for inquiries such as the one above. I've seen these lamps in offices and living rooms and... I really have to restrain my "inner voice" from belting out..."give me a break"!

Edit by Ivan: Merged with existing thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ive never even heard of this.

What exactly are "artificial electromagnetic waves"?
Fake light? Bogus radio signals?

TheMetalChick said:
Ive never even heard of this.

What exactly are "artificial electromagnetic waves"?
Fake light? Bogus radio signals?

Sorry I was unaware of an existing thread about this. I would still say that this sort of claim and many other unsubstantiated claims like it would do well to be in the product claims section of PF.

That said, something else occurred to me about this product and that was the fact that they are sticking a light bulb in the salt crystal that is supposed to be negating the effects of positive ions created by "artificial" electromagnetic waves (artificial?). The light bulb itself being a source of EMs. Hello? Slightly self-defeating?

TalonD said:
I'm not sure where this question belongs, maybe in chemistry? move it if necessary.
so the quest is this

I have a salt crystal lamp. it is a large block of salt on a wood base with a light bulb inside a hollow in the salt. the selling point of these lamps is that the heat from the lightbulb causes negative ions to be emitted from the salt. (suposedly a health benefit but I don't believe it) My question is, would a warm lamp inside a large salt crystal actually cause negative ions to be emitted from the salt? or is that just clever advertising to the sientifically illiterate public? by the way.. I didn't purchase it :P

With heat the compound does decompose to produce the respective ions - both positive and negative - however the amount of heat required corresponds to great temperatures. Even if the lamp is encased in the crystal the temperature may not suffice.

The compound first melts then instead of going into the gaseous state it decomposes into ions.

I am not certain if electromagnetic waves can cut of the individual ions from the bonding lattice - besides lasers. Unless there is some sort of quantum short cut the Hess steps need to be regarded. It has been a while since I had to deal with this stuff.

What are salt crystals?

Salt crystals are solid, crystalline structures made up of sodium and chloride ions. They form when saltwater evaporates and the ions come together to form a repeating pattern, creating the familiar cube-shaped crystals.

What are negative ions?

Negative ions are atoms or molecules that have gained an extra electron, giving them a negative charge. They are naturally found in places like waterfalls, thunderstorms, and near the ocean.

Do salt crystals emit negative ions?

Yes, salt crystals emit negative ions when they are heated or exposed to moisture. This is because the heat or moisture causes the crystals to release the sodium and chloride ions, which then attract extra electrons, creating negative ions.

What are the potential health benefits of negative ions from salt crystals?

Some studies have shown that negative ions may have a positive effect on mood, sleep, and overall well-being. They may also have some antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential health benefits.

Are there any risks associated with negative ions from salt crystals?

No, negative ions emitted from salt crystals are generally considered safe. However, people with asthma or allergies may experience symptoms when exposed to high levels of negative ions. It is always best to consult with a doctor before using any type of alternative therapy.