Why was the Samalas eruption of 1257 significant?

• Thread starter CapnGranite
  • Start date
In summary, the eruption of Samalas in 1257 on the island of Lombok, Indonesia has been identified as the single greatest release of stratospheric gases in the Common Era. This finding not only provides important information for modeling the impact of sulphur and halogens on stratosphere chemistry, but also develops a methodology for quantifying the gas release of other explosive eruptions. The paper is available online and there is also a PBS Nova documentary and Wikipedia page discussing the significance of this eruption.
CapnGranite
Scientific Reports | 6:34868 | DOI: 10.1038/srep34868
The 1257 Samalas eruption
(Lombok, Indonesia): the single
greatest stratospheric gas release
of the Common Era

Our findings not only provide robust constraints for the modelling of the combined impact of sulphur and halogens on stratosphere chemistry of the largest eruption of the last millennium, but also develop a methodology to better quantify the degassing budgets of explosive eruptions of all magnitudes.

It's hard to find open-access papers on modeling parts of the Earth system and then fit them into larger aspects, such as climate change. It shows the degree of analysis that is involved. There are also interesting tid-bits on the consequences of that eruption.

Likes Astronuc
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Scientific Reports | 6:34868 | DOI: 10.1038/srep34868. It was on top, lost in my abuse of font size

CapnGranite said:
Scientific Reports | 6:34868 | DOI: 10.1038/srep34868. It was on top, lost in my abuse of font size
Not online?

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep34868 When I paste that link, it doesn't seem to go directly to the paper, but to google search. It does that even if I paste the http from the article site. Yes, it is online

Scientific Reports is online only.

OK, I didn't understand what the question was, then

Last edited:

1. What caused the Samalas eruption in 1257?

The Samalas eruption in 1257 was caused by a massive volcanic eruption of Mount Samalas, located on the island of Lombok in Indonesia.

2. How big was the Samalas eruption in 1257?

The Samalas eruption in 1257 is estimated to have been one of the largest eruptions in the past 10,000 years, with an explosive volcanic index (VEI) of 7, the highest possible value.

3. What were the effects of the Samalas eruption in 1257?

The Samalas eruption in 1257 had widespread effects, including a global cooling period, changes in weather patterns, and crop failures. It is also believed to have caused the collapse of several ancient civilizations, including the Angkor Empire in Cambodia.

4. Is there any evidence of the Samalas eruption in 1257?

Yes, there is strong evidence of the Samalas eruption in 1257, including historical documents, ice cores, and geological studies. The eruption has also been linked to the medieval literary accounts of the "year without a summer".

5. Could the Samalas eruption in 1257 happen again?

While it is impossible to predict with certainty, it is unlikely that the Samalas eruption in 1257 will happen again. The volcano has been dormant since the eruption and has shown no signs of reactivation. However, the possibility of future eruptions in the region cannot be ruled out completely.

Back