Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Santa In Australia Can't Say Ho Ho Ho Anymore?

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Santa In Australia Can't Say "Ho Ho Ho" Anymore?

This has nothing to do with political correctness or even trying to be polite. It has everything to do with being stupid.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071115/wl_asia_afp/lifestyleaustraliachristmasoffbeat

I truly believe that there are just some people in some organizations or companies, who really don't have that much to do, and start to think of all of these silly ideas. There are some policies coming out of our safety regulations here that I think came out of such people.

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2
    This is going to put a dent in Bill Clinton's itinerary this Christmas.

4. Nov 15, 2007 #3
    Hehehe. :biggrin:

5. Nov 15, 2007 #4

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The same keepers of sanctity live in New Mexico. Their favorite sport is to install flexible plastic "wands" in the middle of a right-hand turn lane, to force people to turn right at the first allowed right hand turn, and not the second one further along.

The local testostrerone set here routinely shreds those things on Friday night. So, in oder to maintain sanctity, our local town has a cop on full-time duty Friday nights to prevent these affronts to the keeper's judgement.

Now if they'd just nab the drunk drivers, things would be great.... NM has the highest DWI-related crash rate in the US - although we do swap that honor with the state of Wyoming every once in a while.

If there is a per-capita statistic people widely view as indicating something dangerous or undesirable New Mexico will be ranked in the top 5 states in the US for it - DWI crashes, teen suicides, etc. The flip side: pick a statistic usually viewed as good. Darn. I'll bet you guessed already: NM ranks in the bottom 5 worst states. It's amazing.

6. Nov 15, 2007 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ps. neutrino I find 'HeHeHe' racially offensive for reasons that I haven't decided yet.
    pps. Your posting name meaning 'little one' in Italian is offensive to those of us who are 'vertically challenged'
    ppps. The smiley is oppresive to us Brits and other others without perfect teeth.

I could go on but it's time for my medication...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  7. Nov 15, 2007 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

:rofl: A politician in the making. :biggrin:
    :rofl:

8. Nov 15, 2007 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

I saw this story yesterday, and can only think it's yet another parent who should have never had children trying to protect them from something that made them cry instead of having the sense and judgement to either comfort the child or wait until they are old enough to enjoy the experience (next they'll say Santa can't have a beard or red hat or be a man, because all that makes their wimpy kids cry).

Anticipated headline mid-December: "Mall Santa Sued: Parent alleges Santa laughed at funny-looking child, uttering 'Ha Ha Ha' instead of 'Ho Ho Ho'"

9. Nov 15, 2007 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It does seem to be a case of 'having it both ways'
    Someone got fired for saying "niggardly" it has no connection to the N-word (it's from Old Norse). But says the oppressed party - I didn't know that, but it doesn't matter it's still offensive.

They ban santa saying 'Ho' because it's a bad word in American rapper slang.
    I didn't know that says the Australian - it doesn't matter says offended party, it's still offensive!

But "He He He" is of course sexist - it should be "She/He She/He She/He"

The funniest one I have seen is a "Parental Advisory - lyrics" sticker on a CD of Carmina Burana.
    Yes, they are a little rude, but in medieaval latin! Your kids would have to be quite well educated to be offended.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  10. Nov 15, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Sad. Yes, if your child knows enough Latin to understand even the more crude words, and is choosing to listen to Carmina Burana, I don't think you really have much to worry about.

11. Nov 15, 2007 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suprisingly, almost no one ever gets offended by this T-shirt.

12. Nov 15, 2007 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does that suggest something about the educational level of those who are easily offended? :uhh:

13. Nov 15, 2007 #12
  14. Nov 15, 2007 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ironic that rappers can say ho but Santa can't.

This is too much!

15. Nov 15, 2007 #14
  16. Nov 15, 2007 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

17. Nov 17, 2007 #16

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Moonbear! How could you say such a thing?! You've just offended half the galaxy!

Actually I'm waiting for the ban on the letter 'F' because of certain associations of the letter with a certain vowel and a couple of consonants. Or perhaps they will restrict usage of F from being used at the beginning of words, in which case they'll have to find a suitable replacement. The dipthong Ph will also be similarly restricted because it sounds to much like F, so possible replacments might be H or W, even HW or WH.

Similar action is being considered for the dipthong SH.

I also understand in order to avoid bad and distasteful meanings, any word for which the meaning is clear will not be used in the context for which it might be properly interpreted, and a suitable substitute for which the meaning is vague, ambiguous or completely unintelligible will have to be used.

Well - it's just a rumor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?