Exploring Remainders in Division by 3 for Consecutive Positive Integers

In summary, when dividing any positive integer by 3, the remainder must be less than or equal to 2. This holds true for all integers. For example, the largest remainder for integers 2-9 is 1 less than the integer itself. This can be represented by the equation N=3m+k, where k is the remainder and k < n. This concept is known as the division algorithm. Therefore, for the SAT question given, the possible remainders when dividing four consecutive positive integers by 3 are 0, 1, 2, and 0.
AznBoi
When you divide any positive integer by 3, the remainder must be less than or equal to 2.

Does this hold true for all integers from 2-9?? I've tried it with 10 but it doesn't seem to work, nor 1 because anything divided by 1 is itself; 0 has the same issue.

Please give your insight about this phenomenon.. Did is use phenomenon correctly?? xD

Mathematics news on Phys.org
AznBoi said:
When you divide any positive integer by 3, the remainder must be less than or equal to 2.

Does this hold true for all integers from 2-9??

Does what hold true - that the remainder is less than or equal to 2, or that the remainder is less than the divisor?

The former is not true. The latter is true for all positive integers. (It is inherent to the definition of remainder.) Division by zero is undefined, so the remainder resulting from dividing by zero is undefined.

AznBoi said:

Does this hold true for all integers from 2-9?? I've tried it with 10 but it doesn't seem to work, nor 1 because anything divided by 1 is itself; 0 has the same issue.

Please give your insight about this phenomenon.. Did is use phenomenon correctly?? xD

Look: any number, N, can be written as 3m + K, where 3m is closest inferior multiple of 3. For example 16 = 3*5 + 1, or 26 = 3*8 + 2. Of course, N / 3 = m + K/3. Notice that K is in fact the remainder. K cannot be 3, since the result of N/3 would be m + 1, which means that N is a multiple of 3. Thus for a number that is not a multiple of 3, the remainder is either 1 or 2. You can easily prove a general rule R < n, for any integer n by which you divide, with the same concept.

Last edited:
Ooops, my bad. I meant like: The largest remainder of an integer 2-9 is 1 less than itself.

Example: The integer 5 , 29/5=4 , which makes 4 the largest remainder for the integer 5.

Does this hold true for integers 2-9 only?

I'm still confused.. Actually I think it works for any postivie integer. For the integer 10, the largest remainder is 9. 19, 119, 199, etc.

Is there another equation that relates to this? N=3m+k confused me, and I think that you wrote it for the integer 3??

AznBoi said:
I'm still confused.. Actually I think it works for any postivie integer. For the integer 10, the largest remainder is 9. 19, 119, 199, etc.

Is there another equation that relates to this? N=3m+k confused me, and I think that you wrote it for the integer 3??

This is basically the division algorithm which you can read more about here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_algorithm

AznBoi said:
Ooops, my bad. I meant like: The largest remainder of an integer 2-9 is 1 less than itself.

Example: The integer 5 , 29/5=4 , which makes 4 the largest remainder for the integer 5.

Does this hold true for integers 2-9 only?

What does this equation mean, since 29/5 is certainly not equal to 4! (edit: i think you mean that the remainder when dividing 29 by 5 is 4).

If you read Werg22's post below, you will see the case for n=3. This holds true for any integer n.

As an example, consider n=12. Now, suppose that 12 divides m such that the remainder is 13. Let's write m=12*q+13. We immediately see that this can also be written m=12*(q+1)+1 (thus giving a remainder of 1).

So, yes, when dividing by an integer n, the largest remainder possible is n-1.

I see now. I've tried it out myself with the equation. Here is the SAT question btw which caused me to think about this: Which of the following could be the remainders when four consecutive positive integers are each divided by 3? Answer: 0,1,2,0 because starting from a multiple of 3 and adding 3 gives you another multiple of three. and the integers in between the multiples cannot exceed 3. Thanks everyone! :smile:

1. What is the format of SAT math problems?

The SAT math section consists of two types of questions: multiple-choice and student-produced response. Multiple-choice questions have four answer choices, while student-produced response requires the student to solve the problem and enter their numerical answer.

2. How many math problems are on the SAT?

The math section of the SAT has 58 questions in total. There are 20 multiple-choice questions and 38 student-produced response questions.

3. What topics are covered in SAT math?

The SAT math section covers several topics including algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and data analysis. It also includes questions on problem-solving and using mathematical models to solve real-world problems.

4. How much time is given for the math section of the SAT?

Students have 80 minutes to complete the math section of the SAT. This includes 55 minutes for the multiple-choice questions and 25 minutes for the student-produced response questions.

5. Can I use a calculator on the SAT math section?

Yes, students are allowed to use a calculator on the SAT math section. However, it is important to note that some questions do not allow the use of a calculator and students must show their work to receive credit for these questions.