Calculating Time Differences in GPS Signals: A Relativistic Approach

In summary, the ground observer sees the pulse of light originating from satellite A arrive later than the pulse of light originating from satellite C.
Blue Kangaroo

Homework Statement

This is a lengthy problem with 3 parts, so I figured I would keep them separate. I have a diagram that corresponds with the problem as well.
GPS receivers find their locations by measuring time differences between EM wave pulses emitted from satellites at known locations and known times in the sky. If the signals are emitted simultaneously from different satellite positions, then these time differences on the Earth can give accurate position information when the satellite positions are known. However, a problem arises because simultaneous pulse emissions in the satellites' reference frame are not emitted simultaneously when viewed from the ground based GPS receiver. Consider the geometry for the satellites’ locations in the figure below with L=L’=12,000Km (γ=1 at this low satellite speed) and h=20,000 Km. The satellites are all moving at 4Km/s as shown. Suppose that at time t =t’=0 when satellite B is directly overhead of location D on the ground (x=x’=0), EM pulses are emitted simultaneously from satellite A and C in the satellites’ frame and their emission time and positions (in their reference frame) are sent to the GPS receiver on the ground.

1. First, calculate the time difference Δt between emission times from satellite A and satellite C as viewed from the GPS on the ground.

Homework Equations

Δt=γΔt0
x=γ(x'=vt')
t=γ(t'+vx'/c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that there are two frames of reference here -- one for the satellites and one for the ground. As such, the Lorentz transformation equations will be needed. I'm having trouble figuring out exactly how to use them.
Thank you very much for any help I receive!

Attachments

• GPS pic.docx
    60 KB · Views: 161
Physics news on Phys.org
It's been a while since I've done this sort of problem, so definitely check my advice against other responses, but this is how I would go about it. From the ground observers perspective, the amount of time it will take for the pulse to get there is just the distance to the satellite divided by the speed of light. To the ground observer, it doesn't matter how fast the satellites were moving when the pulse originated, because light always travels at the same speed.

But for the satellites, in their frame of reference, the ground observer is moving. They see the light traveling out away from them at the speed of light, but they also see the ground observer either moving towards the pulse of light or away from it, and so the time it will take for the pulse to arrive will be distance / (c + velocity of ground observer).

Hope that helps, you probably don't need to use lorentz transforms in this case, though as I said I may be off.

1. What is a satellite GPS problem?

A satellite GPS problem refers to any issue or malfunction that affects the accuracy or functionality of the Global Positioning System (GPS) satellites. This can include errors in satellite signals, malfunctions in the ground control system, or issues with the satellite's orbit.

2. How does a satellite GPS problem affect navigation?

A satellite GPS problem can cause errors in the location data provided by GPS devices, resulting in inaccurate navigation. This can lead to incorrect directions, longer travel times, or even getting lost. In severe cases, it can also impact aviation and maritime navigation.

3. What causes satellite GPS problems?

Satellite GPS problems can be caused by a variety of factors, including solar activity, atmospheric conditions, and technical issues with the satellites or ground control system. Human error, such as incorrect programming, can also contribute to GPS problems.

4. How are satellite GPS problems resolved?

Satellite GPS problems are typically resolved by engineers and technicians who work to identify and fix any technical issues with the satellites or ground control system. In some cases, temporary solutions such as adjusting the satellite's orbit or using alternate systems may be implemented while a permanent fix is developed.

5. Can satellite GPS problems be prevented?

While some satellite GPS problems are unpredictable, measures can be taken to prevent or minimize their impact. This includes regular maintenance and testing of the satellites and ground control system, as well as implementing backup systems in case of technical failures.