What's the Solution to this Saturday Puzzle?

• Thread starter LePuzzled1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
In summary, the conversation is discussing a puzzle with five images of triangles, where one triangle moves in each image. Participants are trying to determine the pattern and which image would come next in the sequence. Some believe that stacking of triangles is allowed, while others do not. One person has suggested a repeating pattern of 3 moves followed by 2 moves. The puzzle appears to be challenging due to the lack of information in the images.
LePuzzled1
Hey all,

I'm new here and thought I'd introduce myself by providing you with a nice puzzle to solve.

image-jpg.73984.jpg

Answers to be sent with reasons!

LePuzzled1

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good luck!

A) seems to fit the best, as every darkened triangle seems to move only to an adjacent triangle.

None, the puzzle is ill-posed. In the first image the upper darkened triangle moves (folds) down then in the second the left one moves to the right to create the third. The fourth image should display where the lowermost triangle moves to. There is no image to show that.

Last edited:
The last picture has 2 triangles. All the others have 3. There's no way to know how to go from 3 to 2. Can they stack? Can they move off the picture?

Likes Medicol
I assumed they can stack.

My guess is A. That one has most things in common with adjacent, 3rd and 5th figures, in the sequence. Choices B,C,D,E have no black elements in common with 5th figure.

Last edited:
I haven't solved it, but I noticed it creates the false impression that only one triangle moves in going from one figure to the next. You can actually arrive at figure two from figure one by moving three triangles, and you can get from two to three by moving two triangles. This might mean that there's a repeating pattern of 3 moves followed by 2 moves.

You can get from A to the last figure in two moves (assuming stacking is allowed), and you can get from three to A in 3 moves.

If stacking isn't allowed, you can still get from A to the last in two moves, one of those two moves being to flip the extra triangle off the 'board'.

I think this is it: with a repeating pattern of 3 moves: 2 moves, A fits the missing square, whether you allow stacking or the extra triangle is flipped off the figure.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and edward
So, LePuzzled1, do you have any feedback on this so far?

1. What is the Saturday Puzzle?

The Saturday Puzzle is a popular weekly puzzle published by the Wall Street Journal. It is a challenging word or logic puzzle that requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. How long has the Saturday Puzzle been around?

The Saturday Puzzle has been around since 1996, when it was first introduced by the Wall Street Journal. It has since become a beloved tradition for many puzzle enthusiasts.

3. Who creates the Saturday Puzzle?

The Saturday Puzzle is created by Mike Shenk, who has been the puzzle editor at the Wall Street Journal since 1991. He is known for his clever and challenging puzzles that have gained a loyal following.

4. Are there different types of Saturday Puzzles?

Yes, there are different types of Saturday Puzzles, including word puzzles, logic puzzles, and cryptic puzzles. Each week, a different type of puzzle is featured in the Wall Street Journal.

5. Can I solve the Saturday Puzzle online?

Yes, the Saturday Puzzle can be solved online through the Wall Street Journal website or through various puzzle-solving apps. However, many puzzle enthusiasts prefer to solve it on paper, as it adds an extra level of challenge and satisfaction.