Saving power on low-current application

In summary: Then it goes to sleep again. This would keep the battery from draining too much.We already are putting the sensors to sleep, but the Arduino microcontroller cannot be rebooted fast enough. The system must be ready to collect data for the entire time. The microcontroller is drawing most of the power.The microcontroller does have a sleep mode that draws less than a milli-amp.
refind
I'm using an Arduino with some load cells to collect weight data over long periods of time (days etc.) and I'm using a 12V lead-acid motorcycle battery to power the entire thing. My electronics only need 7V to operate, so I am essentially wasting 5/12 (~40%) of the power.

The entire setup only draws about 20mA, so I cannot use a DC to DC converter because they have a no-load current of 10mA which is too much.

Is there anything else I can do to save that power and extend battery life?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm guessing you don't need continuous data because of the long time period. Why not put the circuit to sleep with a low power timer?

We already are putting the sensors to sleep, but the Arduino microcontroller cannot be rebooted fast enough. The system must be ready to collect data for the entire time. The microcontroller is drawing most of the power.

What do you mean it can't be rebooted fast enough? How often are you collecting data? And I'm pretty sure most arduino's have a built in sleep mode that draws less than a milli-amp.

MrSparkle said:
I'm guessing you don't need continuous data because of the long time period. Why not put the circuit to sleep with a low power timer?

This could be a good idea. You duty cycle the system. So, only a potion of time it is awake.

Related to Saving power on low-current application

1. How can I reduce power consumption on a low-current application?

There are several ways to reduce power consumption on a low-current application. One method is to use energy-efficient components and devices, such as low power microcontrollers and sensors. Another way is to optimize your code and algorithms to minimize energy usage. Additionally, using sleep modes and power management techniques can significantly reduce power consumption on low-current applications.

2. What are the benefits of saving power on low-current applications?

Saving power on low-current applications has several benefits. First, it can prolong the battery life of your device, making it more convenient for users. It also reduces the overall energy consumption, which is essential for environmental sustainability. Furthermore, it can lower the operating costs of your device, making it more cost-effective.

3. Are there any trade-offs when trying to save power on low-current applications?

Yes, there can be trade-offs when trying to save power on low-current applications. For example, using energy-efficient components may come at a higher cost. Also, optimizing code and algorithms may require additional development time and resources. Additionally, implementing sleep modes and power management techniques may affect the performance and responsiveness of your device.

4. How can I measure the power consumption of my low-current application?

To measure the power consumption of your low-current application, you can use specialized power measurement tools such as a multimeter or a power analyzer. You can also use energy monitoring software or development boards with built-in power measurement capabilities. It is crucial to measure power consumption during different stages of your application's operation to get a comprehensive understanding of its energy usage.

5. How can I optimize the power consumption of low-current wireless applications?

To optimize the power consumption of low-current wireless applications, you can use energy-efficient wireless protocols such as Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) or Zigbee. Additionally, reducing the transmission power and implementing power-saving modes can significantly decrease energy usage. It is also essential to consider the data transfer rate and optimize it to minimize power consumption.