Say you have a magnet, one end of the magnet has a positive charge and

In summary, a magnet with opposite electric charges on its ends will still be a magnet, but with two instead of one poles.
AstrophysicsX
Say you have a magnet, one end of the magnet has a positive charge and the other end has a negative charge. What would happen to the magnet if you broke it in half?

Physics news on Phys.org

If you mean positive and negative electric charges, then you will have two magnets, one positively charged and one negatively charged. Also, both of the new magnets will be magnetic dipoles, each with a "north" pole and a "south" pole.

I think you will find it rather difficult to create a permanent magnet with opposite electric charges on the two ends, because as far as I know, all permanent magnets are metals, i.e. conductors.

as far as I know, all permanent magnets are metals, i.e. conductors.
Refrigerator magnets are nonmetallic.

Bill_K said:
Refrigerator magnets are nonmetallic.

Are you sure? What are they made of if not metallic materiel?

If you're talking about north and south magnetic fields, then when you break it in half you still have a magnet with north and south magnetic fields... it's just half as long as it was before...

EDIT: post #2 already said this... sorry. And you'll have two of them... as pointed out.

So, if you repeatedly cut a magnet in half, is there a point where it would cease to have two poles?

AstrophysicsX said:
So, if you repeatedly cut a magnet in half, is there a point where it would cease to have two poles?

No, your magnet will always remain a dipole.

Even a single electron, proton, or neutron still acts as a magnetic dipole. Each type of fundamental particle has a fixed magnetic dipole moment.

I forget the name, what do you call a magnet that has one charge only?

P.S: I know that we haven't observed one in nature yet.

AstrophysicsX said:
I forget the name, what do you call a magnet that has one charge only?

I think you mean "pole" not "charge". When we say "charge" we almost always mean "electric charge."

Assuming that's the case, the word you're looking for is "monopole."

So why isn't a lone electron considered a monopole?

Because a lone electron has both a north and south magnetic pole.

AstrophysicsX said:
So why isn't a lone electron considered a monopole?

A lone electron is an electric monopole (an incorrect term actually, as there are no "poles" to the electric charge), but it is NOT a magnetic monopole. We have yet to observe any magnetic monopoles, but they are theorized by some to exist in certain situations I believe.

Drakkith said:
A lone electron is an electric monopole (an incorrect term actually, as there are no "poles" to the electric charge), but it is NOT a magnetic monopole. We have yet to observe any magnetic monopoles, but they are theorized by some to exist in certain situations I believe.

That answers my question perfectly, Thanks.

Related to Say you have a magnet, one end of the magnet has a positive charge and

1. How does a magnet have a positive charge at one end?

A magnet has a positive charge at one end because of the alignment of its atoms. In a magnet, the majority of atoms have their electrons spinning in the same direction, creating a magnetic field with a positive and negative pole.

2. Why is the other end of the magnet negative?

The other end of the magnet is negative because of the alignment of its atoms. The electrons at this end are spinning in the opposite direction, creating a magnetic field with a negative pole.

3. What is the significance of a magnet having both a positive and negative pole?

The positive and negative poles of a magnet are significant because they allow the magnet to attract or repel other magnets or magnetic materials. This is due to the interaction between the magnetic fields of the two poles.

4. Can a magnet have only a positive or negative charge at both ends?

No, a magnet cannot have only a positive or negative charge at both ends. The positive and negative poles are always present in a magnet, and if one end is cut off, new poles will form on the cut end.

5. How does the strength of the positive and negative poles affect the overall strength of the magnet?

The strength of the positive and negative poles affects the overall strength of the magnet. The stronger the poles, the stronger the magnetic field and the more powerful the magnet's ability to attract or repel other magnets or magnetic materials.