Scalar quantities and complex numbers

In summary, scalars are quantities that consist of numbers, whether they are positive or negative, and may include a measuring unit. This can include complex numbers like 3 + 7j, as they are considered scalars even though they may also have a magnitude and direction in the 2D number plane. Units are not part of scalars, as they are special measures of dimensions. There are various forms of scalars such as numbers, rationals, reals, complex numbers, and quaternions, and their specific role may depend on the context in which they are used.
topito2
I was taught a scalar is a quantity that consists of a number (positive or negative) and it might include a measuring unit, e.g. 6, 5 kg, -900 J, etc. I was wondering if complex numbers like 3 + 7j (where j is the square root of minus 1) can be considered scalar quantities too, or is it that only real numbers (that might include measuring units) can be considered scalars?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Complex numbers are considered scalars. Although complex numbers can be thought of as a magnitude and direction in the 2D number plane, the number plane is a mathematical space and not a physical space like horizontal and vertical.

topito2 said:
I was taught a scalar is a quantity that consists of a number (positive or negative) and it might include a measuring unit, e.g. 6, 5 kg, -900 J, etc. I was wondering if complex numbers like 3 + 7j (where j is the square root of minus 1) can be considered scalar quantities too, or is it that only real numbers (that might include measuring units) can be considered scalars?
Scalars are numbers, rationals, reals, complex or even quaternions. Units are not part of them! A unit is a special measure of a dimension like length or weight. Scalars are dimensionless.

Thank you so much for the speedy reply, guys! BTW, could you please provide any reference (book or website) I could check to dig a little bit more on the subject?

topito2 said:
Thank you so much for the speedy reply, guys! BTW, could you please provide any reference (book or website) I could check to dig a little bit more on the subject?
Can you tell which direction?
Scalars as numbers? Which? Scalars as part of vector spaces or algebras? Scalar fields? Scalars as opposing vectors?
In the end they are simply numbers. Which, depends on what for. Or which role they play in certain contexts.

1. What is a scalar quantity?

A scalar quantity is a physical quantity that has only magnitude and no direction. Examples of scalar quantities include mass, temperature, time, and energy.

2. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part, b is the imaginary part, and i is the imaginary unit (√-1). Complex numbers are often used in mathematics and physics to represent quantities that involve both real and imaginary components.

3. How are scalar quantities and complex numbers related?

Scalar quantities and complex numbers are related in that scalar quantities can be represented by complex numbers with an imaginary part of 0. This means that scalar quantities can be thought of as a subset of complex numbers.

4. What are the properties of complex numbers?

Complex numbers have several properties, including the commutative, associative, and distributive properties. They also have a conjugate property, where the conjugate of a complex number a + bi is a - bi. Additionally, complex numbers can be added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided using basic arithmetic operations.

5. How are complex numbers used in science?

Complex numbers are used in science to represent physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as electric and magnetic fields. They are also used in mathematical models to describe and analyze systems that involve oscillations and waves, such as in quantum mechanics and signal processing.