School & Career Guidance: Math, Computers & Science

• Thread starter Shawkin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Guidance
In summary, the speaker is a high school student who is unsure of what career path to pursue. They have considered computer science, accounting, and math/physics research. However, they are hesitant about computer science due to the constant changes and about accounting due to the memorization of laws. They are hoping to find a job that involves math and science but not teaching. They have also been advised not to base their understanding of computer engineering solely on their high school experience and to explore other resources such as MIT OCW. There are many job opportunities in the field of math and physics, including working for universities and businesses.
Shawkin
So, I'm entering my final year in high school and I'm trying to get a read on what I should do in the future. I've bounced around quite a bit in what I want to do as a possible career. The only things I've been sure of are my love of math, computers, and science.
First I started by looking into computer science/engineering, and after learning a couple of computer languages (C++,Java,HTML/JavaScript) I decided that wasn't for me. I don't think I could keep up with the whole "learn this- oops its obsolete, learn this" feeling which I got out of it.
Next, I moved on to accounting. How bad could it be? Numbers, Math, Computers? That's about the time I learned about memorizing accounting laws, and how frequently they change.
So I set my sights on just getting a degree in math or physics, and doing research so that I could actually use what I learned, and have fun with it. So I checked out possible job prospects...and I found that physics and math degrees get you computer and engineering jobs...But I saw no truly physics or math oriented jobs, you know where I just set down and churn out math problems, or set up some experiment with optics or sub-atomic particles.

So, my question is, what should I do? What can I do that involves me doing things with math and science (Other than chemistry) ? Are there really jobs out there just doing research with physics/math? Teaching is about the only thing I could dig up, and teaching isn't what I would like to do. I'm in need of assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shawkin said:
"learn this- oops its obsolete, learn this"

In science jobs you're constantly having to learn new stuff. It's just more fun to learn about science than about accounting because the rules aren't man-made and arbitrary.

There are a lot of physicists in industry, but most of them don't have business cards that say "physicist" on them. And most people doing pure physics research are in academia or national labs.

Don't base your POV of computer engineering through C++, C, HTML, Java. You'll take C/C++ classes, but I doubt any Java/HTML.

You'll be doing a lot of hardware design/programming as well. Completely different scene.

As I learned, you can't really gauge whether or not you want to do computer/electrical engineering through your high school experience. Sure, you may know that you like physics and math, and that's a great start. But for the actual engineering part, you can't really gauge that early on. It's something you have to take classes on to get a feeler, or better yet go to MIT OCW's site and look at some of their notes. You'll find a great resource there, as far as what to expect. But whatever you do, please, don't think HTML/Java is computer engineering -- you're wayyy off base.

There are TONS of jobs out there working for universities, colleges, big buissneses, etc. you just got to know where to look...

1. What is the importance of math, computers, and science in school and career guidance?

Math, computers, and science are essential subjects in school and career guidance because they provide a strong foundation for problem-solving, critical thinking, and logical reasoning skills. These subjects are also highly relevant in today's job market, with many careers in fields such as technology, engineering, and healthcare requiring a strong understanding of math, computers, and science.

2. How can math, computers, and science be incorporated into career guidance programs?

Math, computers, and science can be incorporated into career guidance programs through various methods such as hands-on activities, project-based learning, and career exploration opportunities. These subjects can also be integrated into other subjects, such as using math in a science experiment or using computers to analyze data in a social studies project.

3. What resources are available for students seeking guidance in math, computers, and science?

There are many resources available for students seeking guidance in math, computers, and science. These include online tutorials, textbooks, interactive games and activities, and tutoring services. Many schools and libraries also offer workshops and programs specifically focused on these subjects.

4. How can students determine which math, computer, or science career path is right for them?

Students can determine which math, computer, or science career path is right for them by exploring their interests, skills, and values. They can also speak with guidance counselors, teachers, and professionals in these fields to learn about different career options and their requirements. Participating in internships or job shadowing experiences can also help students gain a better understanding of potential career paths.

5. What are some important skills to develop in math, computers, and science for future career success?

Some important skills to develop in math, computers, and science for future career success include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and the ability to work with data and technology. Communication, teamwork, and adaptability are also valuable skills that can help individuals succeed in a wide range of careers within these fields.