What Did Ancient Civilizations Discover About the Universe Before 3000 BC?

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's assignment on cosmology and the lack of information available about ancient cosmological ideas. The student has searched for information at a library and through internet searches, but has only found mention of Aristotle and Ptolemy. The conversation also mentions Stonehenge and the pyramids as potential examples of ancient astronomical observations and suggests looking into how the constellations have changed over the last 5000 years.
dansydney
Gday, I'm currently doing a major yr 11 assignment on cosmology for physics. One of the questions in this assignment was about the historical developments of various models of the universe over time. I've mentioned the geocentric and heliocentric models but the question also asks about the ancients. It says what did the acients work out about the universe (prior to around 3000BC). Everything I have found about this period has basically said 'they looked at the stars' with no real explantions of what they discovered. I was wondering if anyone here would have any knowledge of the subject, if so it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Everything you've found about the period? Have you gone to a library, or are you just doing internet searches?

Here's a handout I used for an astronomy class I used to teach:

http://users.vnet.net/warrenc/astro/cosmology.pdf

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been to the local library although they do not have many books related to physics and cosmology. Internet searches mostly come back with Aristotle and Ptolemy. I've written about them but the most ancient I can find is from around 300BC not 3000BC.

Ack, I figured 3000 BC was a typo. You are correct that very little is known about the people who lived over 5,000 years ago. There are no written records of any sort (and probably no recognizable languages!), nor are there any widely-known astronomical buildings. Personally, I don't know anything about cosmological ideas prior to the ancient Greeks and Romans. When you used the word "ancient," I thought you meant the ancient Greeks and Romans. But you mean... really ancient!

- Warren

Thanks. I have a feeling my teacher may have made a typo because of the little amount of knowledge available on the subject.

How about Stonehenge. Also, the pyramids. Some feel that their positions and alignments were arranged with the stars.

You could talk about how the constellations have changed in the last 5000 years. Although you may not find anything about observations from the period, it is interesting that people back then looked at a sky that would only be vaguely recognizable to us.

1. What is school cosmology assignment?

School cosmology assignment is a scientific project that involves studying and understanding the origins, evolution, and structure of the universe. It often includes topics such as the Big Bang theory, dark matter and energy, and the expansion of the universe.

2. What are the main goals of school cosmology assignment?

The main goals of school cosmology assignment are to help students develop a deeper understanding of the universe and its fundamental laws, to foster critical thinking and analytical skills, and to encourage scientific inquiry and curiosity.

3. How is school cosmology assignment different from other science assignments?

School cosmology assignment is unique in that it deals with the biggest questions about our existence and the universe. It also requires a combination of skills from various scientific disciplines such as physics, astronomy, and mathematics.

4. What are some common challenges students face when completing a school cosmology assignment?

Some common challenges students may face when completing a school cosmology assignment include understanding complex scientific concepts, interpreting data and observations, and synthesizing information from different sources.

5. How can students best approach a school cosmology assignment?

Students can best approach a school cosmology assignment by breaking it down into smaller, manageable tasks, seeking help and clarification from teachers or peers, and staying organized and on schedule. It also helps to have a genuine interest and curiosity about the subject matter.