Schrödinger's time-dependent equation (general)

In summary, the Hamiltonian operator is an equation that describes the possible outcomes when measuring the total energy of a system. It is represented by H and can be used for both relativistic and non-relativistic particles. The Hamiltonian is also known as the "energy operator" and its eigenstates are also eigenstates of energy. The average energy of a state can be calculated using the Hamiltonian equation. The Hamiltonian equation describes the time evolution of the state in terms of position eigenstates and its full understanding requires a thorough understanding of quantum mechanics.
Paradox101
The Hamiltonian operator in the equation i×h/2π×∂/∂t×ψ=H×ψ(where 'i' is the imaginary no.,'h/2π' is just expanded form of the reduced Planck constant,'∂/∂t' is the partial derivative with respect to time 't' and ψ is the wave function) is,as I recall,H=I+V(i don't know how to get those carets on top of them) implying the "set of possible outcomes when measuring the total energy of a system".What does this mean?Does it relate to state of the system,i.e,the wave function at time t?or can it also be used for a non-relativistic particle(particle not at the speed of light) with a given position or perhaps a harmonic oscillator?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Hamiltonian ##H=-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+V(x)## is the "energy operator" just like ##p=i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x}## is the momentum operator. So, eigenstates of the Hamiltonian are eigenstates of energy, and the average energy of a state is simply ##\langle E\rangle = \langle\psi|H|\psi\rangle##.

Likes vanhees71
Paradox101 said:
What does this mean?Does it relate to state of the system,i.e,the wave function at time t?or can it also be used for a non-relativistic particle(particle not at the speed of light) with a given position or perhaps a harmonic oscillator?

Its simply an equation describing how the state (when expanded in terms of position eigenstates) varies in time

That may be a bit of gibberish right now. To fully understand it you need to see a complete development of QM from first principles.

It likely is more mathematically advanced than you are at present, but the book to have a look at is Ballentine - Quantum Mechabics - A Modern Development:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9814578584/?tag=pfamazon01-20

In particular have a look at the first 3 chapters. I think its likely you will get the gist even if the mathematical detail is a bit obscure.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
More precisely: It's the time evolution of the position-representation components of the state vector, representing a pure state. The time evolution of the state vector itself depends on the picture of time evolution chosen. E.g., in the Heisenberg picture the state vector doesn't change at all (by definition), while in the Schrödinger picture it's evolving with the full Hamiltonian.

1. What is Schrödinger's time-dependent equation?

Schrödinger's time-dependent equation is a mathematical equation used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a quantum system over time. It is named after Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger, who first proposed the equation in 1926.

2. How is Schrödinger's time-dependent equation different from the time-independent equation?

The time-dependent equation takes into account the change of a quantum system over time, while the time-independent equation only describes the system at a specific point in time. The time-dependent equation is also more complex and allows for the inclusion of time-varying potentials.

3. What does the wave function represent in Schrödinger's time-dependent equation?

The wave function in Schrödinger's time-dependent equation represents the probability amplitude of a quantum system. It describes the behavior and properties of the system, such as position, momentum, and energy.

4. How is Schrödinger's time-dependent equation used in practical applications?

Schrödinger's time-dependent equation is used in many practical applications, such as predicting the behavior of atoms and molecules in chemical reactions, understanding the properties of materials, and developing new technologies like quantum computers.

5. Are there any limitations to Schrödinger's time-dependent equation?

While Schrödinger's time-dependent equation is a powerful tool in quantum mechanics, it has some limitations. It does not take into account relativistic effects, which are important at high energies, and it cannot account for the measurement process in quantum systems.