Schwartz QFT book, Problem 14.3

• Thread starter wphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Qft
In summary, the conversation is about evaluating an integration from Schwartz QFT book problem 14.3, particularly part (c). The integration involves a square root function and a substitution is suggested to potentially simplify it. The result is then discussed and compared to integral representations of Hankel functions. The solution for the massive case is given in Weinberg's QFT I and for the massless case, taking the limit does not result in any singular behavior.
wphysics
I am working on Schwartz QFT book problem 14.3, particularly part (c).
Basically, it asks us to evaluate the following integration.
[tex] \int \cfrac{d^3 p}{2\pi^3} \omega_p e^{i \vec{p} \cdot (\vec{x}-\vec{y})}[/tex] where
[tex] \omega_p = \sqrt{p^2 + m^2} [/tex]
I could perform the angular integration, and the result is
[tex] \cfrac{2}{(2\pi)^2 |x-y|} \int_0^{\infty} dp \,\,p \sqrt{p^2+m^2} \sin{(p|x-y|)} = \cfrac{2}{(2\pi)^2 |x-y|} \textrm{Im}\left( \int_0^{\infty} dp \,\,p \sqrt{p^2+m^2} e^{i p |x-y|} \right) [/tex]
The textbook says it should be expressed as some sort of Hankel functions, but I am not sure how I get to that point. Do you guys have any suggestion? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if it works, but a substitution p2+m2 = x could give interesting results. It makes the exponential more complicated but simplifies everything else.

mfb said:
I don't know if it works, but a substitution p2+m2 = x could give interesting results. It makes the exponential more complicated but simplifies everything else.

Could you tell me in more detail? In fact, I could not find any integral representations of Hankel functions that matches with my integration.

Did you try it? What was the result?

The result is the derivative of the modified Bessel function of the second kind, whose integral representation is
upload_2017-2-12_12-27-45.png

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ModifiedBesselFunctionoftheSecondKind.html

And the solution for the massive case is given in Weinberg's QFT I page 387, which can be derived from the above integral representation. For the massless case, it seems to me that the result is just the limit ##m\rightarrow 0## of the massive case, is this right? In taking the limit that ##m\rightarrow 0##, I didn't encounter any singular behavior.

1. What is the Schwartz QFT book?

The Schwartz QFT book, also known as "Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model" by Matthew D. Schwartz, is a comprehensive textbook on quantum field theory and its applications in particle physics.

2. What is Problem 14.3 in the Schwartz QFT book?

Problem 14.3 is a specific exercise in the book that challenges readers to apply their understanding of the mathematical techniques and concepts in quantum field theory to solve a particular problem or scenario.

3. What is the purpose of Problem 14.3 in the Schwartz QFT book?

The purpose of Problem 14.3 is to provide readers with an opportunity to apply their knowledge and skills in quantum field theory to solve a real-world problem, thus enhancing their understanding and mastery of the subject.

4. Is Problem 14.3 difficult to solve?

The difficulty level of Problem 14.3 may vary for different readers depending on their level of familiarity and understanding of quantum field theory. However, it is designed to challenge readers and may require some effort and critical thinking to solve.

5. Are there any solutions available for Problem 14.3 in the Schwartz QFT book?

There may be solutions available for Problem 14.3 in the Schwartz QFT book, either through the book's accompanying resources or online. However, it is recommended for readers to attempt to solve the problem on their own before seeking out solutions.