Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schwartz QFT book, Problem 14.3

1. Mar 25, 2015 #1
    I am working on Schwartz QFT book problem 14.3, particularly part (c).
    Basically, it asks us to evaluate the following integration.
    [tex] \int \cfrac{d^3 p}{2\pi^3} \omega_p e^{i \vec{p} \cdot (\vec{x}-\vec{y})}[/tex] where
    [tex] \omega_p = \sqrt{p^2 + m^2} [/tex]
    I could perform the angular integration, and the result is
    [tex] \cfrac{2}{(2\pi)^2 |x-y|} \int_0^{\infty} dp \,\,p \sqrt{p^2+m^2} \sin{(p|x-y|)} = \cfrac{2}{(2\pi)^2 |x-y|} \textrm{Im}\left( \int_0^{\infty} dp \,\,p \sqrt{p^2+m^2} e^{i p |x-y|} \right) [/tex]
    The textbook says it should be expressed as some sort of Hankel functions, but I am not sure how I get to that point. Do you guys have any suggestion? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't know if it works, but a substitution p2+m2 = x could give interesting results. It makes the exponential more complicated but simplifies everything else.

4. Mar 25, 2015 #3
    Could you tell me in more detail? In fact, I could not find any integral representations of Hankel functions that matches with my integration.

5. Mar 27, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Did you try it? What was the result?

6. Feb 12, 2017 #5
    The result is the derivative of the modified Bessel function of the second kind, whose integral representation is
    upload_2017-2-12_12-27-45.png
    http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ModifiedBesselFunctionoftheSecondKind.html

And the solution for the massive case is given in Weinberg's QFT I page 387, which can be derived from the above integral representation. For the massless case, it seems to me that the result is just the limit ##m\rightarrow 0## of the massive case, is this right? In taking the limit that ##m\rightarrow 0##, I didn't encounter any singular behavior.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted