Schwarzchild solution with cosmological constant

In summary, you can derive the Schwarzschild-de Sitter lambdavacuum by solving an ODE for the Einstein tensor.
Terilien
How do we solve for it? I still don't know much about non linear equations. Unfortunately, this reduces to R=-4(cosmos constant) which is not a system thus making simplicfication difficult. I'm assuming that we can still use the previous arguments and assume that the metric coompontents Gtt and Grr are exponential functions but beyond that I'm not sure what to do...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might look at the Schwarzschild - de Sitter solution, for instance http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0602002. This eprint doesn't go into the "how" of the solution very much (in fact it's concerned about modelling aspects of bound systems in such a geometry). If you really want "how" and not just a solution, I'd try Wald. I believe his approach to finding the Schwarzschild solution could be easily generalized to finding the Schwarzschild solution with a cosmological constant.

Deriving the Schwarzschild-de Sitter lambdavacuum

pervect said:
I believe his approach to finding the Schwarzschild solution could be easily generalized to finding the Schwarzschild solution with a cosmological constant.

Yeah, it's trivial. You know that in any lambda vacuum solution, the Einstein tensor (evaluated wrt some frame field) has to have the form [itex]k \, \operatorname{diag}(-1,1,1,1)[/itex] where k is some undetermined constant. So start with a Schwarzschild coordinate chart (having two undetermined functions) and plug in this condition. The EFE then reduces to a simple ODE similar to the one you obtain in solving for the Schwarzschild vacuum; indeed the case k=0 recovers the Schwarzschild vacuum. This determines both metric functions up to constant multiples which can be "gauged away". Now you can relate the parameter k to either the "cosmological horizon radius" or equivalently to the "cosmological constant". The resulting solution is properly called the "Schwarzschild-de Sitter lambdavacuum". Historically-minded writers sometimes call it "Kottler solution".

Question, will i need some knowledge of non linear equations, to generalize it?

What is the Schwarzchild solution with cosmological constant?

The Schwarzchild solution with cosmological constant is a solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity that describes the geometry of space-time around a spherically symmetric mass in the presence of a cosmological constant. It is named after the German physicist Karl Schwarzchild and was first derived in 1916.

What is the significance of the cosmological constant in the Schwarzchild solution?

The cosmological constant is a term in Einstein's field equations that represents the energy density of the vacuum of space. In the Schwarzchild solution, it plays a crucial role in determining the curvature of space-time and the overall geometry of the universe.

What does the Schwarzchild solution with cosmological constant predict about the behavior of light?

One of the most well-known predictions of the Schwarzchild solution with cosmological constant is the phenomenon of gravitational lensing. This is the bending of light by the curved space-time around a massive object, such as a galaxy or a black hole.

Can the Schwarzchild solution with cosmological constant be used to describe the entire universe?

No, the Schwarzchild solution with cosmological constant is a simplified model that only applies to a spherically symmetric mass in an otherwise empty universe. It cannot be used to describe the entire universe, which is much more complex and dynamic.

What is the role of the Schwarzchild radius in the Schwarzchild solution with cosmological constant?

The Schwarzchild radius is a measure of the size of the event horizon of a black hole. In the Schwarzchild solution with cosmological constant, it represents the distance from the center of a massive object at which the gravitational pull becomes strong enough to prevent anything, including light, from escaping.