How Accurate Is My Schwarzschild Black Hole Calculation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of two equations to solve for the proper time interval and coordinate time interval in relation to the Schwarzschild radius of a non-rotating, uncharged black hole. The equations are valid only for this specific type of black hole and it is important to consider its properties before using them. It is also clarified that the values for d\tau and dt should be given in units of time, not in years, and the calculation for \frac{dr}{d(ct)} should be double-checked for accuracy. Further assistance from a tutor or more experienced scientist is recommended if needed.
Brewer

Homework Statement

Capture.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]d\tau = dt\sqrt{1-\frac{r_s}{r}}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{dr}{d(ct)} = 1 - \frac{r_s}{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all I worked out the Schwarzschild radius to be [tex]2.964*10^4[/tex]m.

From this I plugged it into the first of the two equations above, along with [tex]d\tau = 30[/tex], and [tex]dt = 300[/tex] (years in both cases, but it'll cancel), and rearranged to give r as [tex]2.994*10^4[/tex]m, i.e. 300m outside the Schwarzschild radius.

From here I plugged these new numbers into the second equation that I've given in order to give [tex]\frac{dr}{d(ct)} = 0.01[/tex]. I assume that this means a fraction of c.

I'm not entirely convinced though. Can someone check what I've done please. Have I used the correct meanings of [tex]d\tau and dt[/tex]? Is the second equation that I've given the correct one to use? If not could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for anyone who helps out.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have made some progress in solving the equations, but there are a few things that I would like to clarify and suggest for improvement.

Firstly, it seems like you have correctly calculated the Schwarzschild radius, which is the radius at which the gravitational pull of a non-rotating, uncharged black hole becomes so strong that even light cannot escape from it. However, I would like to mention that the Schwarzschild radius is usually given in units of length, not in meters. Therefore, the correct value for the Schwarzschild radius would be 2.964*10^4m, where m represents meters.

Secondly, I would like to clarify the meaning of d\tau and dt. In this context, d\tau represents the proper time interval experienced by an observer at a certain distance from the black hole, while dt represents the coordinate time interval measured by a distant observer. Therefore, in your calculation, the value for d\tau should be given in units of time, not in meters. Similarly, the value for dt should also be given in units of time, not in years.

Thirdly, it is important to note that the equations you have used are valid only for a non-rotating, uncharged black hole. If you are dealing with a rotating or charged black hole, different equations will need to be used. Therefore, it is important to consider the specific properties of the black hole you are studying before using these equations.

Lastly, I would suggest double-checking your calculation for \frac{dr}{d(ct)}. The value you have obtained is indeed a fraction of the speed of light, but it is important to make sure that your calculation is correct. If you are still unsure, I would suggest seeking help from a tutor or a more experienced scientist.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

Scientist

Related to How Accurate Is My Schwarzschild Black Hole Calculation?

1. What is a Schwarzschild Black Hole?

A Schwarzschild Black Hole is a type of black hole that is described by the Schwarzschild metric, which is a solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity. It is a non-rotating, spherically symmetric black hole with no electric charge.

2. How is a Schwarzschild Black Hole formed?

A Schwarzschild Black Hole is formed when a massive star collapses under its own gravitational force. As the star's core runs out of nuclear fuel, it can no longer support its own weight and collapses in on itself, creating a singularity - a point of infinite density and zero volume. This singularity is surrounded by an event horizon, which marks the boundary of the black hole.

3. What is the event horizon of a Schwarzschild Black Hole?

The event horizon of a Schwarzschild Black Hole is the point of no return, beyond which nothing, including light, can escape the black hole's gravitational pull. It is essentially the "surface" of the black hole and marks the boundary between the inside and outside of the black hole.

4. How is the size of a Schwarzschild Black Hole determined?

The size of a Schwarzschild Black Hole is determined by its event horizon, which is directly related to its mass. The more massive the black hole, the larger its event horizon. For a non-rotating black hole, the event horizon is equal to 2 times the mass of the black hole, known as the Schwarzschild radius.

5. Can anything escape from a Schwarzschild Black Hole?

Once an object crosses the event horizon of a Schwarzschild Black Hole, it cannot escape its gravitational pull. However, before crossing the event horizon, an object can still escape if it has enough velocity to overcome the black hole's gravitational force. This is known as the escape velocity and it increases as an object gets closer to the black hole.