Schwarzschild metric in Kruskal coord's

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that the Schwarzschild metric in Kruskal coordinates takes a specific form. The equations defining the Kruskal coordinates are given, and the attempt at a solution is described. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to look up a paper by Martin Kruskal for more information on the topic. There is also a brief discussion about the meaning of the quantity "t" in Kruskal coordinates.
reverbtank

Homework Statement

This question is very simple, but it is driving me mad.

Show that the Schwarzschild metric in Kruskal coordinates takes the form

ds2 = (32M3/r)e-r/2M(-dv2+du2) +r2(d(theta)2 + sin2(theta)*d(phi)2)

Homework Equations

The equations are just those defining the Kruskal coordinates
(1) u2 - v2 = (r/2M -1)er/2M

and
(2) v/u = tanh(t/4M)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried this numerous times without luck. Usually I start by solving the second eqt'n for t and then take its total time derivative. This gets me dt2 to plug into the regular Schwarzschild metric. Next, I take total derivative of LHS and RHS of first eqt'n and then solve for dr. This leaves me with a hopelessly complex expression for the metric that I have not been successful in reducing to the form given by the problem.

I can't find derivations of this anywhere on the internet (Wikipedia just states it). This makes me think that either the problem is exceedingly difficult, or exceedingly trivial. If it is trivial, I'm missing something. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the issue here is that I just need to face up to the messy algebra. Thanks.

I suggest that you look up the paper by Martin Kruskal in which he developed what you are looking for. The easiest way I know to look it up is to use Google Scholar.

It is very easy to do. First put "Martin Kruskal" in the entry place for "Authors" (use quote marks around the name). Even if there are other authors, you don't need to put them in.

Then put in what is necessary to narrow down the papers you get; Martin published a large number of papers. I think it would be enough to put in "Schwarzschild metric" and "Kruskal coordinates". With that you shouldn't get more than a few papers. Then get hold of that paper, and you should be able to read about it from the person who did it first.

Thanks for the post! It was a nice surprise, since I thought I had resolved this thread. I completed the assignment, but I will certainly look for the paper.

A little off topic but while the quantity of r is self explanatory in Kruskal coordinates, what quantity would be use for t? i.e. as the radius counts down from infinity to zero, how exactly is the quantity t expressed?

regards
Steve

1. What is the Schwarzschild metric in Kruskal coordinates?

The Schwarzschild metric in Kruskal coordinates is a mathematical representation of the spacetime around a spherically symmetric mass, such as a black hole. It was developed by German physicist Karl Schwarzschild in 1916 and is used in the field of general relativity to describe the geometry of spacetime.

2. How is the Schwarzschild metric in Kruskal coordinates different from other coordinate systems?

The Schwarzschild metric in Kruskal coordinates is unique because it is a coordinate system that is free from singularities, or points of infinite curvature. This makes it useful for studying objects with extremely high gravitational fields, such as black holes. It also allows for a better understanding of the causal structure of spacetime.

3. What are the key features of the Schwarzschild metric in Kruskal coordinates?

The Schwarzschild metric in Kruskal coordinates has several key features, including the absence of singularities, the ability to describe the entire spacetime surrounding a spherically symmetric mass, and the ability to calculate the escape velocity of an object at any point in spacetime.

4. How is the Schwarzschild metric in Kruskal coordinates derived?

The Schwarzschild metric in Kruskal coordinates is derived by transforming the original Schwarzschild metric, which is written in terms of polar coordinates, into a new coordinate system. This new system uses null coordinates, which are defined in terms of the speed of light, and allows for a better understanding of the global structure of spacetime.

5. What are the practical applications of the Schwarzschild metric in Kruskal coordinates?

The Schwarzschild metric in Kruskal coordinates has various practical applications, including in the study of black holes, the calculation of gravitational lensing effects, and the understanding of the evolution of the universe. It is also used in the development of gravitational wave detectors and in the testing of general relativity.