Schwarzschild Radius and gravitational constant

In summary, the Schwarzschild Radius is a characteristic radius associated with a non-rotating, uncharged, spherically symmetric black hole. It marks the point of no return, or event horizon, and is calculated using the gravitational constant, mass of the object, and speed of light. The gravitational constant is a fundamental constant in physics that helps us understand the strength of the gravitational force, calculate the Schwarzschild Radius, and determine the behavior of objects near a black hole's event horizon.
unseentango
hi, i am trying to figure out the Schwarzschild Radius of myself but i don't know how to find the gravitational constant in the equation. G=6.67 x 10-11N(M/kg)2. What do i plug in on the N(M/kg)2? is that my mass and KG? Earth's? not quite sure... please let me know. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
i am an idiot, didn't realize N(M/kg)2 was a unit of measurement. :frown:

Hi there,

The Schwarzschild Radius is a measure of the radius at which a given mass would have to be compressed in order to become a black hole, based on the theory of general relativity. It is calculated using the gravitational constant, which is denoted by the letter G in the equation you mentioned.

The value of G is a universal constant and does not change based on the mass or size of an object. Therefore, you can plug in the same value for G in the equation regardless of whether you are trying to find the Schwarzschild Radius of yourself, Earth, or any other object.

As for the units in the equation, N stands for Newtons (a unit of force), M stands for meters (a unit of length), and kg stands for kilograms (a unit of mass). Therefore, the unit for G is N(M/kg)^2.

To calculate your own Schwarzschild Radius, you would need to know your mass in kilograms. You can then plug in that value for M and solve for the radius in meters. Keep in mind that the result will be a very small number, as the Schwarzschild Radius is typically only relevant for extremely massive objects.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any other questions. Best of luck in your calculations!

What is the Schwarzschild Radius?

The Schwarzschild Radius is a characteristic radius associated with a non-rotating, uncharged, spherically symmetric black hole. It represents the distance from the center of the black hole at which the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light.

What is the significance of the Schwarzschild Radius?

The Schwarzschild Radius is significant because it marks the point of no return, also known as the event horizon, for a black hole. Anything that crosses this radius will be unable to escape the gravitational pull of the black hole.

How is the Schwarzschild Radius calculated?

The Schwarzschild Radius is calculated using the gravitational constant, the mass of the object, and the speed of light. The formula is R = (2GM)/c^2, where R is the Schwarzschild Radius, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object, and c is the speed of light.

What is the gravitational constant?

The gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a fundamental constant in physics that is used to quantify the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. It is a key component in many equations, including the formula for the Schwarzschild Radius.

Why is the gravitational constant important in understanding black holes?

The gravitational constant is important in understanding black holes because it helps us to calculate the Schwarzschild Radius and the escape velocity at the event horizon. It also plays a role in determining the curvature of space-time around black holes and how objects behave near the event horizon.