Sci-fi/science DVD collection

• Thread starter larkspur
  • Start date
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
shmoe said:
Logan's Run is excellent. Zardoz is, well, Sean Connery in a diaper.
LR is good, and well Sean Connery is Sean Connery, even in a diaper :rofl:
shmoe said:
Planet of the Apes- The first is terrific, only die hard sci fi fans have made it through the rest of the series with me but I like them all (especially Escape from the Planet of the Apes). The new one was, flashier I guess. Can't go wrong with Helena Bonham Carter in a monkey suit though.

Soylent Green- parodied many times
Soylent Green is pretty good, and also The Omega Man (1971, Heston as well).

Serenity is good, and the whole Firefly series (Joss Whedon).

Time Machine (1960) - Rod Taylor.

The War of the Worlds (1953) - Gene Barry

Genesis II (1973) (TV) - Alex Cord as Dylan Hunt

The Andromeda Strain (1971) - but they changed some of the story, although the lasers were better than darts.

The Island (2005) - Ewan McGregor as Lincoln Six Echo/Tom Lincoln

Last edited:
JamesU
Gold Member
The Thing (1982) is a great movie

And if you care to get the 'sequels' to The Thing:
Prince of Darkness (1987)
In the Mouth of Madness (1995)

Pythagorean
Gold Member
yomamma said:
The Thing (1982) is a great movie

And if you care to get the 'sequels' to The Thing:
Prince of Darkness (1987)
In the Mouth of Madness (1995)
are you serus? mouth of madness was a sequel to the thing? I don't get it...

JamesU
Gold Member
Pythagorean said:
are you serus? mouth of madness was a sequel to the thing? I don't get it...
i saw The Thing and Prince of Darkness, I havent seen MoM yet, but there's no plot similarities, John Carpenter just calls them his apocalypse trilogy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse_Trilogy [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
May I suggest the two Sci-Fi channel mini-series, "Dune" and "Children of Dune". They are both about four hours long.

KM

Pythagorean
Gold Member
Kenneth Mann said:
May I suggest the two Sci-Fi channel mini-series, "Dune" and "Children of Dune". They are both about four hours long.

KM
Blaspheme! These are mockeries of the original Dune (which I'd like to add to my list of awesome sci-fi movies)

shmoe
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dune- Sting in a, hmm, not a diaper, kind of a wing shaped thing.

I haven't seen the original Dune movie in probably 15 years. I remember the worms looking much better than the cg ones in the miniseries, but I might be blinded by nostalga. I don't remember enough of the original to compare well. I quite liked the new miniseries though.

Looking back, Dr.Who hasn't been mentioned yet? What error is this? Is it too obvious? Best tv sci-fi of all time.

Gattaca and Strange Days are also absent. As are eXistenZ and Cube for some Canadian content. Oh, I'd forgotten about Dark City as well.

larkspur said:
The last time I went to the movies, some uncouth man behind me coughed a hunk of phlegm into my hair.:eek: :cry: :mad:
This happens when watching movies in my living room as well, I don't know who keeps inviting that guy :yuck:

shmoe said:
Looking back, Dr.Who hasn't been mentioned yet? What error is this? Is it too obvious? Best tv sci-fi of all time.
The original Dr. Who or the new series on Sci-Fi channel?

Gattaca and Strange Days are also absent. As are eXistenZ and Cube for some Canadian content. Oh, I'd forgotten about Dark City as well.
I loved the Cube. Wasn't there a Cube Two as well?

This happens when watching movies in my living room as well, I don't know who keeps inviting that guy :yuck:
:rofl: :rofl:

shmoe
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
larkspur said:
The original Dr. Who or the new series on Sci-Fi channel?
I can't speak for the David Tennant series (I haven't seen it yet). Otherwise all of it is good. Opinions vary though, I have a few friends that were traumatized as children from watching Dr. Who that it's brown trousers time when they hear the themesong. :bugeye:

Some say it's best viewed while cowering behind the sofa, but that's sheer folly unless you like being snuck up on by Daleks. I prefer to build a sofa cushion and blanket fort in front of the sofa so the sofa covered my back. It's closer to the immediate danger, but I'm terribly brave.

larkspur said:
I loved the Cube. Wasn't there a Cube Two as well?
Yea, Cube 2:Hypercube. Best to forget it even exists. They set it up for a Cube Cubed sequel (that would have been my name for it at least) but that hasn't arrived yet that I know of). A sequel may end up justifying the second ones existance, but it would have to do an amazing job of wrapping things up.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
shmoe said:
Oh, I'd forgotten about Dark City as well.
I can synopsize Dark City in exactly six words:

Truman's World run by the Borg

Last edited: