Scientists want to drill into the Earth's mantle

• Thread starter ElliotSmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drill
In summary, this new mission is to drill through more continental crust to the mantle to gain a better understanding of the composition and orientation of crystals. They hope to do this by 2030.
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
lekh2003 said:
There is some Russian borehole where they went deeper than this mission, but they didn't make it to the mantle:

yeah, because they were drilling through very thick continental crust rather than the much thinner oceanic crust planned for this new mission

What will they do after they break through to the mantle?

What is the purpose of this?

davenn said:
yeah, because they were drilling through very thick continental crust rather than the much thinner oceanic crust planned for this new mission
Yeah, I understand. It was their mission to reach really deep, not the mantle.

ElliotSmith said:
What will they do after they break through to the mantle?

What is the purpose of this?
Find the composition of the mantle with more accuracy.

But they're hopeful they can begin drilling by 2030
A lot can happen in 12 years.

Temperature is a big issue with boreholes this deep, especially if you want to reach the mantle. I wonder how they plan to deal with this.

It reminded me a movie "The Core". They were using diamond hood to drill to the core.

Arman777 said:
It reminded me a movie "The Core".

Or my favorite Doctor Who, Inferno. (Third Doctor, the last episode with Caroline John)

Likes lekh2003 and Arman777
The purpose of this is to finally examine the largest part of the Earth in situ. We already have a numer of samples from the mantle: in ophiolites, where they form the deepest part of the floor of long-vanished oceans; in kimberlites which we mine to put a particular mantle mineral in engagement rings; finally in xenoliths, chunks of rocks torn from the depths by flowing magma. [Funny thing is that we actually know more of the uppermost mantle than the lowermost crust] The problem with our samples is that up here they are not what they were down there: they are devoid of natural gases and composed of hard-to-melt residue from original rocks. We don't know the precise mineral composition of parent rock or the original orientation of crystals. Better knowledge of these aspects is needed to e.g. better understand earthquakes.

1. What is the Earth's mantle and why do scientists want to drill into it?

The Earth's mantle is the layer between the crust and the core of the Earth, and it makes up about 84% of the Earth's volume. Scientists want to drill into it because it holds vital information about the Earth's formation and composition, which can help us better understand the planet's history and evolution.

2. How deep is the Earth's mantle and how far do scientists plan to drill?

The Earth's mantle extends from about 6 miles (10 kilometers) below the ocean floor to about 1,800 miles (2,900 kilometers) deep. Scientists plan to drill as deep as possible, potentially reaching depths of 4,000 miles (6,400 kilometers) in the future.

3. What are the challenges of drilling into the Earth's mantle?

Drilling into the Earth's mantle is an extremely difficult and complex task. The extreme heat and pressure at these depths can damage drilling equipment and make it difficult to retrieve samples. Additionally, the cost and logistics of such a project are significant challenges that need to be addressed.

4. What do scientists hope to learn from drilling into the Earth's mantle?

Scientists hope to learn more about the Earth's composition, structure, and history by studying samples from the mantle. This can provide insights into the formation of the Earth and its geological processes, as well as information about the materials and resources that exist within the mantle.

5. What are the potential benefits of drilling into the Earth's mantle?

Aside from advancing our understanding of the Earth, drilling into the mantle could also have practical benefits. It could provide access to valuable minerals and resources that are currently inaccessible, and it could also help us better predict and prepare for natural disasters, such as earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.