Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Scintillation Detectors

1. May 13, 2017 #1
    Hello! I am working on the simulation of a detector for gamma rays. I need to simulate the response time of the crystal but I am not sure I understand what is that. Does it means that any crystal has a limit on the number of photons it can see at once?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Every crystal will need some time before it starts emitting enough scintillation light for detection.

4. May 15, 2017 #3
    The response time for a device is usually taken as the time to fully develop its signal. The time it takes for a photon to traverse a crystal is a fraction of a nanosecond. However the time it takes for the energy deposited in the crystal to manifest itself as a light pulse is substantially longer and is related to decay times of the types of crystal excitations. These excitation decay times can be fast i.e., 10-8 sec for luminescence or slow for phosphorescence 10-6 sec or longer. For solid scintillators it is a mixture.

You stated you are working on a simulation for a scintillation detector which includes a crystal and a photomulitpier tube. Depending the PMT used it could have a significant affect on the total response time of the detector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted