Car Jack Modification: Safety, Efficiency & Cost Reduction

• Automotive
  • Thread starter Hsn.sh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the conversation is about a project to modify a 2 tonne car jack. The person has chosen a scissor car jack and is seeking advice on how to make it safer, more efficient, and more cost-effective. They are also asking about necessary calculations and considering reducing the weight of some components. The conversation also includes questions about the jack's stability, linkage geometry, ease of use, and impact on the car's performance. The person is reminded that they should not expect engineering consultants to do the project for them and should start by evaluating the jack's functionality and effectiveness.
Hsn.sh
Hello,

I have been set a project where I need to modify a 2 tonne car jack. After evaluation, I ended up choosing a scissor car jack. I would be grateful if anyone would advise on how I can modify the car jack by making it more safe, efficient and decrease the cost.And what sort of calculations i need to take into consideration.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You have been given this project as part of your education.
You should not expect engineering consultants to do it for you.
Start here.
Will it fit under the car when the car has a flat?
Is it stable on a flat base or will it fall with the car?

Is the linkage geometry optimum?
When you wind the handle, how hard is it to lift the car at different heights?

The car must drive with it up every hill and accelerate every time, make it lighter.
Can the weight of some components be reduced by changing cross section or adding holes?

Baluncore said:
You have been given this project as part of your education.
You should not expect engineering consultants to do it for you.
Start here.
Will it fit under the car when the car has a flat?
Is it stable on a flat base or will it fall with the car?

Is the linkage geometry optimum?
When you wind the handle, how hard is it to lift the car at different heights?

The car must drive with it up every hill and accelerate every time, make it lighter.
Can the weight of some components be reduced by changing cross section or adding holes?

I like this post.
I guess the OP should look at functionality and effectiveness to his list of criteria!

1. What are the benefits of modifying a car jack?

Modifying a car jack can provide several benefits, including improved safety, increased efficiency, and cost reduction. By making modifications to the jack, it can become easier and safer to use, as well as more versatile for different types of vehicles. In addition, modifications can also improve the overall performance and functionality of the jack, making it a more efficient tool for lifting and supporting a vehicle.

2. What safety measures should be taken during car jack modification?

Safety should always be the top priority when modifying a car jack. Some important safety measures to take include using high-quality materials, following proper instructions and guidelines, and regularly inspecting the modified jack for any signs of wear or damage. It is also crucial to make sure the modified jack can handle the weight and pressure of the vehicle, and to never use it on uneven or unstable surfaces.

3. How can modifying a car jack improve efficiency?

Modifications to a car jack can increase efficiency in several ways. For example, adding a larger base or stronger materials can provide better stability and support for the vehicle, making the lifting process faster and more efficient. Additionally, modifications such as adding an adjustable height feature or a quicker release mechanism can also save time and effort when using the jack.

4. Can modifying a car jack save money in the long run?

Yes, modifying a car jack can potentially save money in the long run. By making the jack more efficient and durable, it can reduce the need for repairs or replacements. Additionally, a modified jack that is easier and safer to use can also prevent accidents and potential damage to the vehicle, saving money on costly repairs. It is important, however, to carefully consider the modifications and their cost before making any changes.

5. Are there any drawbacks to modifying a car jack?

There can be potential drawbacks to modifying a car jack, such as the risk of improper modifications leading to accidents or damage to the vehicle. Additionally, modifications may also void any warranties or guarantees on the original jack. It is important to carefully research and consider the modifications and their potential impacts before making any changes to the jack.