Searching for a 12v electronic switch

In summary, the speaker is looking for a way to control their motorcycle's auxiliary lights using the flash to pass switch. They have a relay but it only stays on when powered. The suggested solutions are to use a latching relay or a triac, with an additional switch if needed.
howln
New to the site, looking for a little help.
I'm trying to switch my motorcycle auxillary lights on and off using the flash to pass switch. I have a relay but only stays on when powered. Is there a switch I can put inline, or a switching relay that will work.
Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could use a latching relay, which would stay on while there is power. That might not be a problem (the lights would stay on until you turn off the ignition, probably), or if you want to power it off in the mean time then you'd need an additional switch to interrupt the power to the latching relay.

You could even use a triac, rather than a latching relay. It should achieve exactly the same result as the latching relay (compared with a setup without an interrupt switch to the coil - i.e. it would stay on, but should switch off with ignition off, assuming your lighting circuits are enabled by the ignition switch).

If the power you are drawing to light the light is not switched off with key off, then you need an additional switch in any case.

Thank you, I'll look into both ways.

1. What is a 12v electronic switch?

A 12v electronic switch is a type of electrical switch that is designed to handle a maximum voltage of 12 volts. It is commonly used in low voltage applications such as automotive electronics, batteries, and small appliances.

2. How does a 12v electronic switch work?

A 12v electronic switch works by controlling the flow of electricity in a circuit. When the switch is turned on, it allows electricity to flow through the circuit, and when it is turned off, it breaks the circuit and stops the flow of electricity.

3. What are the benefits of using a 12v electronic switch?

There are several benefits of using a 12v electronic switch, including its compact size, low cost, and ability to handle high current loads. Additionally, it can be easily controlled by a microcontroller or other electronic components.

4. How do I choose the right 12v electronic switch for my project?

When choosing a 12v electronic switch, you should consider factors such as the maximum voltage and current ratings, the type of switch (e.g. toggle, push button, rocker), and the number of poles and throws. It is important to select a switch that can handle the specific needs of your project.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when working with a 12v electronic switch?

Yes, it is important to always handle electrical components with caution and to follow proper safety protocols when working with a 12v electronic switch. This includes disconnecting the power source before making any changes or repairs, and properly insulating any exposed wires to prevent electric shock.