Second Career Labour Market Research

In summary, Dan is new to the forum and is applying for Second Career funding to go back to school for Electronics Engineering Technician. He is looking for people in this field to answer some questions for a presentation to the Ontario Ministry. He has a diploma in Mechanical Engineering Technician-Industrial Mechanic and is seeking to widen his portfolio for future entrepreneurial endeavors. Dan is looking for information on educational requirements, college experience, recommendations, and the availability of jobs in this field. He is also interested in the average earnings, duties and responsibilities of the job, and the skills needed for this position. Additionally, Dan is curious about the future outlook and changes in the occupation, as well as the current job market and potential challenges in the industry. He thanks anyone
Deadwood
My names Dan and I'm new to this forum. I like it. Your all soooo above me I can barely see you, ha. Anyway I'm applying for Second Career funding here in Ontario to go back to school for Electronics Engineering Technician...I wanted full engineering :cry: but they only fund 2 years. I have some questions you'll see below for anyone who works, has worked or even knows the information to my questions to please help me. The more people who answer the better, I need at least 5, probably from Ontario but I'm not going to be pickie cause I'm sure the skills/abilities/knowledge will need to be the same anywhere, only changes according to industry products. I'll be presenting this as a package to the Ontario Ministry who will decide whether to pay for my education. If your uncomfortable answering here you can answer to d_deline69@hotmail.com

I have a diploma in Mechanical Engineering Technician-Industrial Mechanic, a.k.a. Millwright but never worked as one. Found it hard to find an employer to take a newbie on, they seem to like 5 years of experience. I've worked with Tool Makers and CNC machinist but I don't like this field. I thought this will widen my portfolio even for my own entrepreneurial desire.

There is no need for long essay answers, just to the point is fine unless you would like to tell me everything, that will be great. Let me know what you think.

Name(First only is fine)
Place of Employment(Company, Location)
Job Title
Education/Credentials/Membership of an Organization

1. What are the educational requirements for this job?

2. How well did your college experience prepare you for this job?

3. Recommendations?

4. What things did you do before you entered this occupation that was helpful?

5. Is experience required to work in this field?

6. How much and where could I get this experience if coming out of school?

7. Hours of work, shift?

8. What is the average earnings/highest?

9. What do you do on a typical day?Duties/responsibilities/functions of your job?

10. What skills are important for this kind of position?

11. Are there busy and slow times or is the work fairly constant?

12. What part of your job do you personally find satisfying?

13. What part do you find challenging?

14. What do you like and not like about working in this industry(electronics manufacturing)?

15. How is the economy affecting this industry right now?Positive outlooks?

16. In your opinion, what is the future outlook like for this occupation?

17. What sort of changes are occurring in your occupation?

18. Do you feel there are currently jobs available in this area?

19. From your perspective, what are the problems you see working in this field?

20. Other comments?

Advanced thanks to all those who helped me.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I just got back from talking to my career counsellor and anybody from any country are welcome to help me with my career information.

Hello Dan,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your decision to pursue a new career in electronics engineering! The Second Career program in Ontario is a great opportunity for individuals looking to make a career change.

To answer your questions, I am a scientist working in the field of electronics engineering. Here are my responses to your questions:

1. The educational requirements for a career in electronics engineering can vary depending on the specific job and industry. Generally, a minimum of a bachelor's degree in electronics engineering or a related field is required.

2. My college experience provided me with a strong foundation in the principles and theories of electronics engineering. However, a lot of practical skills and knowledge are gained on the job, so it's important to continue learning and developing your skills throughout your career.

3. My recommendation would be to gain as much practical experience as possible, whether through internships, co-op programs, or hands-on projects. This will not only enhance your skills but also make you more marketable to potential employers.

4. Before entering this occupation, I gained experience in other engineering fields, which helped me develop a strong problem-solving mindset and attention to detail. I also took courses in electronics and programming, which gave me a good understanding of the basics.

5. Experience is not always required, especially for entry-level positions. However, having some experience can definitely give you an advantage in the job market.

6. You can gain experience through internships, co-op programs, or even volunteering at electronics companies. Networking and building connections in the industry can also help you find opportunities for gaining experience.

7. The hours of work and shift can vary depending on the company and industry. Some companies may have regular 9-5 hours, while others may require shift work, especially in manufacturing.

8. The average earnings for an electronics engineering technician can vary depending on the location, company, and experience level. According to the Government of Canada Job Bank, the median salary for an electronics engineering technician in Ontario is around $60,000 per year.

9. On a typical day, I work on designing and testing electronic systems, troubleshooting and solving technical issues, and collaborating with other team members on projects. My duties also include maintaining equipment, writing reports, and attending meetings.

10. Some important skills for this position include strong technical and analytical skills, problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team.

11. The workload can vary depending on the industry and company.

1. What is the Second Career Labour Market?

The Second Career Labour Market refers to the segment of the workforce that is made up of individuals who have changed careers or re-entered the workforce after a period of absence. This can include individuals who have been laid off, retired, or have had a career change due to personal or economic reasons.

2. Why is Second Career Labour Market Research important?

Second Career Labour Market Research is important because it provides valuable insights into the changing dynamics of the labour market and the needs of individuals who are re-entering the workforce. This research can inform policies and programs that aim to support and facilitate the transition of individuals into second career opportunities.

3. What are some common challenges faced by individuals in the Second Career Labour Market?

Some common challenges faced by individuals in the Second Career Labour Market include a lack of relevant skills or experience, age discrimination, and difficulty in finding job opportunities that match their interests and abilities. Additionally, individuals may also face financial constraints and a lack of support when transitioning into a new career.

4. How is Second Career Labour Market Research conducted?

Second Career Labour Market Research is typically conducted through surveys, focus groups, and data analysis of job market trends. Researchers may also conduct interviews with individuals who have successfully transitioned into a second career, as well as employers who have hired individuals from the Second Career Labour Market.

5. What are some potential benefits of individuals entering the Second Career Labour Market?

The Second Career Labour Market offers individuals the opportunity to pursue a new career path that aligns with their interests and skills. This can lead to increased job satisfaction, higher earning potential, and improved work-life balance. Additionally, individuals in the Second Career Labour Market can bring diverse perspectives and experiences to their new roles, benefiting both themselves and their employers.