Second Derivative of a Composition of Functions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
skyline01
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Derive an expression for the composition of 2 functions.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I started with supposing that y(x) = f(g(x)). I know that dy/dx = df/dg * dg/dx (via the chain rule). Doing the derivative again, I started with the product rule:
d2y/dx2 = d/dx (df/dg * dg/dx) = df/dg * d2g/dx2 + dg/dx * d/dx (df/dg).

I don't know what d/dx (df/dg) means. I think I'm supposed to do the chain rule again on this part, but I'm not totally clear. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
skyline01 said:

Homework Statement


Derive an expression for the composition of 2 functions.

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution


I started with supposing that y(x) = f(g(x)). I know that dy/dx = df/dg * dg/dx (via the chain rule). Doing the derivative again, I started with the product rule:
d2y/dx2 = d/dx (df/dg * dg/dx) = df/dg * d2g/dx2 + dg/dx * d/dx (df/dg).

I don't know what d/dx (df/dg) means. I think I'm supposed to do the chain rule again on this part, but I'm not totally clear. Thanks!
Hello skyline01. Welcome to PF !

One suggestion is to to look at some specific examples, such as y(x) = sin(x5).

Then f(x) = sin(x), g(x) = x5 .
 
Thank you, SammyS! I tried the sample function you suggested, but I'm still not sure if I am expressing d/dx (df/dg) correctly. Here is how your sample function worked out:

y(x) = sin(x5)
So, f(x) = sin(x) and g(x) = x5.
Therefore,
dy/dx = cos(x5) 5x4
and
d2y/dx2 = cos(x5) 20x3 + 5x4 (-sin(x5)) 5x4.

Generalizing this to any composition of 2 functions, we have
d2y/dx2 = df/dg * d2g/dx2 + dg/dx * d2f/dg2.

Does this look right?
 
skyline01 said:
Thank you, SammyS! I tried the sample function you suggested, but I'm still not sure if I am expressing d/dx (df/dg) correctly. Here is how your sample function worked out:

y(x) = sin(x5)
So, f(x) = sin(x) and g(x) = x5.
Therefore,
dy/dx = cos(x5) 5x4
and
d2y/dx2 = cos(x5) 20x3 + 5x4 (-sin(x5)) 5x4.

Generalizing this to any composition of 2 functions, we have
d2y/dx2 = df/dg * d2g/dx2 + dg/dx * d2f/dg2.

Does this look right?
Almost correct.

d2y/dx2 = df/dg * d2g/dx2 + (dg/dx)2 * d2f/dg2.
 
Yes, you are correct. Thank you for catching that. So,
d/dx(df/dg) = dg/dx * d2f/dg2.

I find it strange that in every calculus book I have ever read (including real analysis books), they always stop at the first derivative when discussing the chain rule.