Second Derivative of an Implicit function

In summary: This is a matter of one's opinion. It is not necessary to do so, but it does make the expression simpler, and can help avoid errors. However, you must be careful in your substitution. If you substitute y as a function of x into the derivative, you also need to substitute y as a function of x into the original equation. Otherwise you are differentiating the wrong function.In summary, finding the second derivative of an implicit function involves differentiating each side of the equation, using the chain rule, and potentially substituting y as a function of x into the derivative. It is important to keep track of which function you are differentiating and to use the proper symbols for differentiation.
Ki-nana18
How would you find the second derivative of an implicit function?
y^2-x^2=16

Heres my attempt:
2y(dy/dx)-2x=0
2y(dy/dx)=2x
2y(dy/dx)/2y=2x/2y
dy/dx= x/y
This is only the first derivative. I think I'm suppose to plug in dy/dx back into the original equation. Am I on the right track?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When my professor taught me implicity, we never really covered higher order derivatives of implicit functions, but here's what I got.

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}\right)(y^2-x^2=16)=\frac{dy}{dx}\right)=\frac{x}{y}\right)[/tex]

With this implicit function, you can define y explicitly as a function of x and substitute it into the expression.

[tex]y=(16+x^2)^1^/^2[/tex]

Therefore

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}\right)=\frac{x}{(16+x^2)^1^/^2}\right)[/tex]

Now (i think), you can differentiate again to obtain the second derivative.

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}(\frac{x}{(16+x^2)^1^/^2}\right))[/tex]

You don't have to substitute the value of y into the 1st derivative (I think) but it makes differentiating more simple imo.

Last edited:
Hi Ki-nana18, well the first derivative is perfect, however that's not quite the right track from there, let's start from you final equation you wrote:

[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{x}{y}
[/tex]

now what if I rewrote that as:

[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx} = xy^{-1}
[/tex]

and then something that you should know

[tex]
\frac{d}{dx} \left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right) = \frac{d^{2}y}{dx^2}
[/tex]

meaning that if you take the derivative of a derivative with respect to the same variable (x in this case because its y with respect to x) then it equals the second derivative.

Now ill also say, try thinking about the chain rule and how you could apply that here. Hope that helps Ki-nana :D

Samuelb88 said:
When my professor taught me implicity, we never really covered higher order derivatives of implicit functions, but here's what I got.

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}\right)(y^2-x^2=16)=\frac{dy}{dx}\right)=\frac{x}{y}\right)[/tex]
Granted, you aren't the original poster, but your work deserves some comment.
  1. It makes no sense to take the derivative of an equation. You can take the derivative of each side of an equation, but not the equation itself. What you have written is the derivative dy/dx times an equation being equal to dy/dx, which in turn is equal to x/y.
  2. You are using the symbol dy/dx as if it were the differentiation operator d/dx, which it isn't.
Samuelb88 said:
With this implicit function, you can define y explicitly as a function of x and substitute it into the expression.

[tex]y=(16+x^2)^1^/^2[/tex]

Therefore

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}\right)=\frac{x}{(16+x^2)^1^/^2}\right)[/tex]

Now (i think), you can differentiate again to obtain the second derivative.

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}(\frac{x}{(16+x^2)^1^/^2}\right))[/tex]
Here (above) you are writing the 2nd derivative of y with respect to x (which is a function) times an expression instead of the 2nd derivative with respect to x of the same expression. If you confuse d/dx with dy/dx , you will surely come to grief when some equation involves both of these symbols. The same applies to d2/(dx) with d2y/(dx)2.
Samuelb88 said:
You don't have to substitute the value of y into the 1st derivative (I think) but it makes differentiating more simple imo.

What is the second derivative of an implicit function?

The second derivative of an implicit function is the rate at which the first derivative (slope) of the function changes with respect to the independent variable. It measures the curvature of the function at a specific point.

How is the second derivative of an implicit function calculated?

The second derivative of an implicit function can be calculated by differentiating the first derivative of the function with respect to the independent variable. This can be done using the chain rule or implicit differentiation.

Why is the second derivative of an implicit function important?

The second derivative of an implicit function is important because it helps in analyzing the behavior of a function. It can determine whether a function is concave up or concave down, and identify critical points such as maximum, minimum, and inflection points.

Can the second derivative of an implicit function be negative?

Yes, the second derivative of an implicit function can be negative. This indicates that the function is concave down and has a decreasing slope. It can also indicate the presence of a maximum point.

How is the second derivative of an implicit function used in real-world applications?

The second derivative of an implicit function is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to analyze the behavior of variables and make predictions. For example, in physics, the second derivative of position with respect to time represents the acceleration of an object.