[Multivariable Calculus] Implicit Function Theorem

In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionI tried computing dg/dx and dg/dy like it told me but I think that isn't what its asking. I think that the trick here is to recognize that if x and y are both close to 0, then xyz is also close to zero, so what can you say about cos(xyz)?
David Donald
I am having trouble doing this problem from my textbook... and have
no idea how to doit.

1. Homework Statement

I am having trouble doing this problem from my textbook...

Show that the equation x + y - z + cos(xyz) = 0 can be solved for z = g(x,y) near the origin. Find dg/dx and dg/dy

(dg/dx and dg/dy are partial derivatives)

Homework Equations

Implicit function theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried computing dg/dx and dg/dy like it told me but
I think that isn't what its asking..

Physics news on Phys.org
David Donald said:
no idea how to doit.

1. Homework Statement

Show that the equation x + y - z + cos(xyz) = 0 can be solved for z = g(x,y) near the origin. Find dg/dx and dg/dy

Homework Equations

I think that the trick here is to recognize that if x and y are both close to 0, then xyz is also close to zero, so what can you say about cos(xyz)?

David Donald said:
no idea how to doit.

1. Homework Statement

Homework Equations

You are given an equation of the form ##f(x,y,z)=0## and an initial point ##(0,0,z_0)## that satisfies it (where I will let you figure out the value of ##z_0##). The implicit function theorem states that for certain conditions on the derivatives of ##f## in a neighborhood of ##(0,0,z_0)##, the equation is solvable for ##z## in terms of ##(x,y)##, near ##(0,0)##. Does your given ##f## satisfies those conditions? Does the theorem apply to your function?

What is the Implicit Function Theorem?

The Implicit Function Theorem is a mathematical tool used in multivariable calculus that allows us to find the derivative of an implicitly defined function. It states that if a function is defined implicitly by an equation, then its derivative can be found by taking partial derivatives of the equation with respect to the variables involved.

How does the Implicit Function Theorem work?

The Implicit Function Theorem works by treating one variable as the dependent variable and the rest as independent variables. By taking the derivative of the equation with respect to the dependent variable, we can solve for the derivative and find the slope of the function at any given point.

What are the applications of the Implicit Function Theorem?

The Implicit Function Theorem has various applications, including optimization problems, curve sketching, and finding solutions to differential equations. It is also used in physics and engineering to model and analyze complex systems.

What are the limitations of the Implicit Function Theorem?

While the Implicit Function Theorem is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to functions that are differentiable, and the equation must be able to be solved for the dependent variable. Additionally, it is not always possible to find an explicit formula for the function, which can make it challenging to use in some situations.

How is the Implicit Function Theorem different from the Explicit Function Theorem?

The Implicit Function Theorem and the Explicit Function Theorem are two closely related theorems in multivariable calculus. The primary difference is that the Implicit Function Theorem deals with functions that are defined implicitly by an equation, while the Explicit Function Theorem deals with functions that are defined explicitly in terms of their variables. However, both theorems involve finding the derivative of a function.