1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Multivariable Calculus] Implicit Function Theorem

1. Oct 13, 2016 #1
    I am having trouble doing this problem from my textbook... and have
    no idea how to doit.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am having trouble doing this problem from my textbook...

Show that the equation x + y - z + cos(xyz) = 0 can be solved for z = g(x,y) near the origin. Find dg/dx and dg/dy

(dg/dx and dg/dy are partial derivatives)
    2. Relevant equations
    Implicit function theorem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried computing dg/dx and dg/dy like it told me but
    I think that isn't what its asking..

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I think that the trick here is to recognize that if x and y are both close to 0, then xyz is also close to zero, so what can you say about cos(xyz)?

4. Oct 13, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are given an equation of the form ##f(x,y,z)=0## and an initial point ##(0,0,z_0)## that satisfies it (where I will let you figure out the value of ##z_0##). The implicit function theorem states that for certain conditions on the derivatives of ##f## in a neighborhood of ##(0,0,z_0)##, the equation is solvable for ##z## in terms of ##(x,y)##, near ##(0,0)##. Does your given ##f## satisfies those conditions? Does the theorem apply to your function?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted