Second functional derivative of fermion action

In summary: You're right, the derivative will not work as I used it. But there is another way to avoid the sign: Since the derivative of the delta function is a distribution, one can "ignore" the argument and use\begin{align}\partial_\mu \delta^{(4)}(z-y) &= \int \mathrm{d}^4 z' \, \partial_\mu \delta^{(4)}(z-z') \, \delta^{(4)}(z'-y) \\ &= \int \mathrm{d}^4 z' \, (- \partial_\mu \delta^{(4)}(z-y)) \, \delta^{(4)}(z'-z) \\
Ravendark

Homework Statement

[/B]
Consider the following action:
$$\begin{align}S = \int \mathrm{d}^4 z \; \bar\psi_i(z) \, (\mathrm{i} {\not{\!\partial}} - m)_{ij} \, \psi_j(z)\end{align}$$
where ##\psi_i## is a Dirac spinor with Dirac index ##i## (summation convention for repeated indices). Now I would like to calculate the (inverse) propagator ##G_{kl}(x,y)##, i.e., the second functional derivative of the action:
$$\begin{align}G_{kl}(x,y) = \frac{\delta^2 S}{\delta \psi_l(y) \delta \bar\psi_k(x)}\end{align}$$
My actual problem deals with the anticommuting of Grassmann quantities. Since the derivatives are Grassmann, I should find (is this correct at all? It is quote from the lecture notes I'm using)
$$\begin{align}\frac{\delta^2 S}{\delta \psi_l(y) \delta \bar\psi_k(x)} = - \frac{\delta^2 S}{\delta \bar\psi_k(x) \delta \psi_l(y)} \; .\end{align}$$
Unfortunately, my calculation yields something different.

2. Conventions

Integral: ##\displaystyle \int_z \equiv \int \mathrm{d}^4 z##
Functional derivative: ##\; \dfrac{\delta \psi_i(x)}{\delta \psi_j(y)} = \delta_{ij} \, \delta^{(4)}(x-y) = \dfrac{\delta \bar\psi_i(x)}{\delta \bar\psi_j(y)}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Left hand side:
$$\begin{align}
\frac{\delta^2 S}{\delta \psi_l(y) \delta \bar\psi_k(x)} &= \frac{\delta}{\delta \psi_l(y)} \int_z \, \delta_{ik} \, \delta^{(4)}(z-x) \, (\mathrm{i} {\not{\!\partial}} - m)_{ij} \, \psi_j(z) \\ &= \frac{\delta}{\delta \psi_l(y)} \, (\mathrm{i} {\not{\!\partial}} - m)_{kj} \, \psi_j(x) \\ &= (\mathrm{i} {\not{\!\partial}} - m)_{kj} \, \delta_{jl} \, \delta^{(4)}(x-y) \\ &= (\mathrm{i} {\not{\!\partial}} - m)_{kl} \, \delta^{(4)}(x-y)
\end{align}$$
Looks good so far (?), now the next part...

Right hand side:
$$\begin{align}
- \frac{\delta^2 S}{\delta \bar\psi_k(x) \delta \psi_l(y)} &= \frac{\delta}{\delta \bar\psi_k(x)} \int_z \, \bar\psi_i(z) \, (\mathrm{i} {\not{\!\partial}} - m)_{ij} \, \delta_{jl} \, \delta^{(4)}(z-y) \\ &= \frac{\delta}{\delta \bar\psi_k(x)} \int_z \, \bar\psi_i(z) \, (\mathrm{i} {\not{\!\partial}} - m)_{il} \, \delta^{(4)}(z-y) \\ &= \frac{\delta}{\delta \bar\psi_k(x)} \left\{ \int_z \, \bar\psi_i(z) \, \mathrm{i} \, \gamma^\mu_{il} \, \partial_\mu \, \delta^{(4)}(z-y) - \int_z \, \bar\psi_i(z) \, m_{il} \, \delta^{(4)}(z-y) \right\} \\ &= \frac{\delta}{\delta \bar\psi_k(x)} \left\{ - \int_z \, (\partial_\mu \bar\psi_i(z)) \, \mathrm{i} \, \gamma^\mu_{il} \, \delta^{(4)}(z-y) - \bar\psi_i(y) \, m_{il} \right\} \\ &= \frac{\delta}{\delta \bar\psi_k(x)} \bigl\{ - (\partial_\mu \psi_i(y)) \, \mathrm{i} \, \gamma^\mu_{il} - \bar\psi_i(y) \, m_{il} \bigr\} \\ &= -\delta_{ik} \, \partial_\mu \, \delta^{(4)}(y-x) \, \mathrm{i} \, \gamma^\mu_{il} - \delta_{ik} \, \delta^{(4)}(y-x) \, m_{il} \\ &= (-\mathrm{i} {\not{\!\partial}} - m)_{kl} \, \delta^{(4)}(y-x)
\end{align}$$As you can see, there is an additional minus sign in front of the derivative part...and I have no idea how to "remove" it. Can someone give me a hint please?

EDIT:
I noticed right now that the arguments of the delta functions are still swapped. I can fix the mass part by using that the delta function is even, i.e., ##m_{kl} \, \delta^{(4)}(y-x) = m_{kl} \, \delta^{(4)}(x-y)##. But the derivative part confuses me a bit because I never dealt with a derivative of a delta function in such a way.Best Regards,
Ravendark

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't use integration by parts to transfer the spacetime derivative onto PsiBar since [tex]
\; \dfrac{\delta \psi_i(x)}{\delta \psi_j(y)} = \delta_{ij} \, \delta^{(4)}(x-y) = \dfrac{\delta \bar\psi_i(x)}{\delta \bar\psi_j(y)}
[/tex] you have the choice over which delta function you integrate first[tex]
\frac{\delta}{\delta \bar\psi_k(x)} \int_z \, \bar\psi_i(z) \, (\mathrm{i} {\not{\!\partial}} - m)_{il} \, \delta^{(4)}(z-y)=\int_z \, \delta^{(4)}(z-x) \, (\mathrm{i} {\not{\!\partial}} - m)_{kl} \, \delta^{(4)}(z-y) [/tex]

So integrating over the left delta function will give you the desired result

Likes Ravendark
sgd37 said:
You don't use integration by parts to transfer the spacetime derivative onto PsiBar since [tex]
\; \dfrac{\delta \psi_i(x)}{\delta \psi_j(y)} = \delta_{ij} \, \delta^{(4)}(x-y) = \dfrac{\delta \bar\psi_i(x)}{\delta \bar\psi_j(y)}
[/tex] you have the choice over which delta function you integrate first[tex]
\frac{\delta}{\delta \bar\psi_k(x)} \int_z \, \bar\psi_i(z) \, (\mathrm{i} {\not{\!\partial}} - m)_{il} \, \delta^{(4)}(z-y)=\int_z \, \delta^{(4)}(z-x) \, (\mathrm{i} {\not{\!\partial}} - m)_{kl} \, \delta^{(4)}(z-y) [/tex]

So integrating over the left delta function will give you the desired result
Right...instead of transfer the derivative to ##\bar\psi## I can perform the derivative directly since I know how the derivative w.r.t. ##\bar\psi## looks like.

But why is it "forbidden" to use partial integration ((11) to (12) in my first post) at this point (apart from the fact that this yields a wrong result)?

Forgive me what I should have said is you don't have to transfer the space-time derivative. You are free to do so

Last edited:
Likes Ravendark
sgd37 said:
Forgive me what I should have said is you don't have to transfer the space-time derivative. You are free to do so
Thank you very much, I got it...I totally forgot, that there exists an identity for the derivative of the delta function: ##\partial_\mu \delta^{(4)}(y-x)=-\partial_\mu \delta^{(4)}(x-y)##.

I'd be careful here because the RHS gives [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}}\delta^4(x-y)[/tex] whilst the LHS gives you [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y^{\mu}}\delta^4(y-x)[/tex] if you set [tex]t=x-y[/tex] and use the identity you gave above you can see that [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}}\delta^4(x-y)=\frac{\partial}{\partial y^{\mu}}\delta^4(y-x)[/tex] so this wouldn't get rid of your minus sign. The reason why you find these inequalities is because on the RHS you're integrating over a delta function whilst on the LHS you're integrating over the derivative of a delta function. If you are consistent on both sides you get the right answer

sgd37 said:
I'd be careful here because the RHS gives [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}}\delta^4(x-y)[/tex] whilst the LHS gives you [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y^{\mu}}\delta^4(y-x)[/tex] if you set [tex]t=x-y[/tex] and use the identity you gave above you can see that [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}}\delta^4(x-y)=\frac{\partial}{\partial y^{\mu}}\delta^4(y-x)[/tex] so this wouldn't get rid of your minus sign.
Mhh, it seems you're right...

sgd37 said:
The reason why you find these inequalities is because on the RHS you're integrating over a delta function whilst on the LHS you're integrating over the derivative of a delta function.
Now I'm a bit confused...about which RHS/LHS are you talking about?

sgd37 said:
If you are consistent on both sides you get the right answer
You mean consistent on which argument ##\partial_\mu## actually acts?

1. What is the second functional derivative of fermion action?

The second functional derivative of fermion action is a mathematical concept used in quantum field theory to describe the behavior of fermionic fields. It represents the rate of change of the action with respect to the field's variation, and is used to calculate quantities such as the fermion propagator and correlation functions.

2. How is the second functional derivative of fermion action calculated?

The second functional derivative of fermion action can be calculated using the functional derivative operator, which is similar to the ordinary derivative operator but for functions of fields. This operator is applied twice to the fermion action, resulting in a second-order differential operator.

3. What does the second functional derivative of fermion action tell us?

The second functional derivative of fermion action provides information about the behavior of fermionic fields in a given quantum field theory. It is used to understand the dynamics of these fields and to make predictions about their behavior in different situations.

4. How is the second functional derivative of fermion action related to quantum mechanics?

The second functional derivative of fermion action is related to quantum mechanics through the path integral formulation of quantum field theory. It is used to calculate the probability amplitude for a given fermionic field configuration, which is then used to calculate physical observables.

5. What is the physical significance of the second functional derivative of fermion action?

The second functional derivative of fermion action is physically significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of fermionic fields at a more fundamental level. It is used to calculate important quantities such as the fermion propagator and correlation functions, which are essential for making predictions and understanding the behavior of fermionic systems in quantum field theory.