1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second method of solving this integral needed

1. Jun 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the indefinite integral using two separate cases:
    ∫xcos(bx) dx

2. Relevant equations
    Integration by parts:
    ∫f(x)g'(x) dx = f(x)g(x) - ∫f'(x)g(x)

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved the problem using integration by parts and u-substitution and got the answer:
    (cos(bx) + bx(sin(bx))) / b^2 + C

But my professor says we should discuss the problem in two separate ways. What might be the other method of solving this problem?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

No, he says there are two cases to consider. Does your answer work for the case b = 0?

4. Jun 27, 2013 #3
    My answer definitely does not work when b = 0. Wonderful!

Now, should I re-integrate with b = 0, and get 1/2 x^2 + C, or re-define the domain as b≠0 ?

Sorry if these are silly questions,
    Thank you!

5. Jun 27, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.

6. Jun 28, 2013 #5

Mute

Homework Helper

Note also that you write the indefinite integral as

$$\int dx~x\cos(bx) = \frac{bx\sin(bx) + \cos(bx) - 1}{b^2} + C'.$$
    You can do because the factor I introduced, ##-1/b^2##, is just a constant which could be re-absorbed into C'.

If you now take the limit as ##b \rightarrow 0##, you will find that your answer reduces to ##x^2/2 + C'##.

(You don't need to split the factor of ##-1/b^2## off from the constant ##C = C'-1/b^2## from the original post, but if you don't you will have to throw away a "constant infinite factor" when taking the ##b \rightarrow 0## limit, and that can feel like you're being kind of shady. =P)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted