Second Order Differential equation Bessel-type

In summary, there is a proposition that states the general solution to an equation of the form ##y''+P(x)y'+Q(x)y=0## is ##y(x)=\lambda(x)(c_1+c_2\int\frac{e^{-\int P(x)dx}}{\lambda(x)^2}dx)##, where ##c_1## and ##c_2## are constants and ##\lambda(x)## is a particular solution. The equation presented in the conversation can be solved using a variation of parameters or by converting it to a general confluent hypergeometric differential equation. Alternatively, the Frobenius method can also be used to find solutions, which may be in the form of series
Juan Carlos
Hello!

Im trying to solve this second order differential equation:

\begin{equation*}
-\dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2}+\dfrac{3}{x}\dfrac{dy}{dx}+(x^2+gx^4+2)y=0
\end{equation*}

Any idea?

Maybe it could be converted to a Bessel-like equation (?) with an appropriate change of variables.

The equation arises when your are considering a -2 dimensional (yes!, its correct: "Negative dimension") anhamonic oscillator.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, there is a proposition that says, if you have an equation of this kind:

## y''+P(x)y'+Q(x)y=0##
where ##P## and ##Q## continuous on ##I## and if ##\lambda(x)## is a particular solution with ##\lambda(x)\not=0##, then the general solution is:

##y(x)=\lambda(x)\left(c_{1}+c_{2}\int\frac{e^{-\int P(x)dx}}{\lambda(x)^2}dx\right)##

where ##c_{1},c_{2}## are constants.

So you can start to search a particular solution and then apply this...

Likes Juan Carlos
I not sure how helpful this will be, but I think you're equation is a general confluent hypergeometric differential equation: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GeneralConfluentHypergeometricDifferentialEquation.html.

The general solutions are:

[itex] y_1 = x^{-A} e^{-m\left(x\right)} F\left(a;b; h\left(x\right)\right) [/itex]
[itex] y_2 = x^{-A} e^{-m\left(x\right)} U\left(a;b; h\left(x\right)\right) [/itex]

where [itex] F\left(a;b;h\left(x\right)\right) [/itex] and [itex] U\left(a;b;h\left(x\right)\right) [/itex] are confluent hypergeometric functions of the first and second kind.
Admittedly it can be challenging to identify the functions [itex] m\left(x\right) [/itex] and [itex] h\left(x\right) [/itex] . I'd try a few simple functions to see if you can make it work.

Alternatively what is the constant g? Is it a small number? Can you use a perturbative expansion to find an approximate solution?

Ssnow said:

## y''+P(x)y'+Q(x)y=0##
where ##P## and ##Q## continuous on ##I## and if ##\lambda(x)## is a particular solution with ##\lambda(x)\not=0##, then the general solution is:

##y(x)=\lambda(x)\left(c_{1}+c_{2}\int\frac{e^{-\int P(x)dx}}{\lambda(x)^2}dx\right)##

Ssnow said:

## y''+P(x)y'+Q(x)y=0##

Variation of parameters! I'll give it a try!

Thanks

the_wolfman said:
I not sure how helpful this will be, but I think you're equation is a general confluent hypergeometric differential equation: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GeneralConfluentHypergeometricDifferentialEquation.html.

The general solutions are:

[itex] y_1 = x^{-A} e^{-m\left(x\right)} F\left(a;b; h\left(x\right)\right) [/itex]
[itex] y_2 = x^{-A} e^{-m\left(x\right)} U\left(a;b; h\left(x\right)\right) [/itex]

where [itex] F\left(a;b;h\left(x\right)\right) [/itex] and [itex] U\left(a;b;h\left(x\right)\right) [/itex] are confluent hypergeometric functions of the first and second kind.
Admittedly it can be challenging to identify the functions [itex] m\left(x\right) [/itex] and [itex] h\left(x\right) [/itex] . I'd try a few simple functions to see if you can make it work.

Alternatively what is the constant g? Is it a small number? Can you use a perturbative expansion to find an approximate solution?

Thanks I will try with this "factorization" procedure.

1. What is a Second Order Differential equation Bessel-type?

A Second Order Differential equation Bessel-type is a type of second-order differential equation that involves the Bessel function, which is a type of special function commonly used in mathematical physics. It typically has the form y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = 0, where p(x) and q(x) are functions of the independent variable x.

2. What is the significance of Second Order Differential equation Bessel-type in science?

Second Order Differential equation Bessel-type has various applications in science, particularly in mathematical physics and engineering. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and electrical circuits. It also has applications in signal processing, image processing, and other fields.

3. How are Second Order Differential equation Bessel-type solved?

There are various methods for solving Second Order Differential equation Bessel-type, including the Frobenius method, power series method, and integral transform methods. The specific method used will depend on the specific equation and boundary conditions.

4. What are some real-life examples of Second Order Differential equation Bessel-type?

Some examples of physical phenomena that can be described by Second Order Differential equation Bessel-type include the oscillations of a circular membrane, the diffusion of heat in a cylindrical object, and the vibrations of a circular drumhead. It is also commonly used in solving problems related to electrical circuits and signal processing.

5. What are the limitations of Second Order Differential equation Bessel-type?

While Second Order Differential equation Bessel-type is a powerful tool for modeling physical phenomena, it does have its limitations. For example, it may not be applicable to systems with non-linear behavior or non-constant coefficients. Additionally, it may not be suitable for describing certain boundary conditions or initial conditions.