Ph.D. Student in Nanotechnology Considering a Career in Physics

In summary, the individual is 30 years old and will soon complete their Ph.D. in Nanotechnology in Mexico City. They plan to get married to their U.S. citizen girlfriend in June 2016 and move to the United States. They are considering their options after completing their Ph.D., as they are unsure if it will be valid in the U.S. and if they can use it to teach, which is their passion. They have discovered a love for physics and are considering pursuing a master's and potentially a second Ph.D. in physics, which would take approximately 7 years. However, they are unsure about job opportunities in teaching physics and if it is worth getting a second Ph.D. They have been advised to consider looking
Fernando Rios
I´m now 30 years old (born in 1984) and I will be done with my Ph.d. in Nanotechnology in Mexico City. I am planning on getting married with my girlfriend (who is a U.S. citizen) on June 2016 and go live to the United States. I am now thinking what I would like to do after getting done with the Ph.d. I actually don´t know if the Ph.d. will be valid in the U.S. and what can I teach with that kind of degree, since teaching is my real passion. Through this years of study I have noticed that Physics is what I actually really like instead of working to develop technology; for this reason, I am thinking about studying a master´s in physics and probably a ph.d. in physics which would take around 7 years. However, I don´t know if there are good opportunities to teach physics out there and if it is good to get a second ph.d. Can someone give me some advice on whether it is better to stay with my Ph.d. in nanotechnology or to go for the master´s in physics? It is important to say that money is not a problem for me at this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
A second PhD is rarely ever worth the effort (there is much questions as to whether the first one either, for that matter). I strongly suggest that you look for an industrial position where you can apply your education. Teaching is a much over supplied field at this time in just about all areas.

If you can teach physics you'll find a job pretty easily. Every teacher/professor I've talked to the last year say qualified physics teachers are in demand and can often find jobs. Community colleges as well as high schools have the demand. Universities much less so, but if you like to teach, physics is the way to go. You'd need to get certified to teach physics to high school students unless you teach at a private school. This usually requires going through a year of classes and student teaching. Private schools and community colleges won't be as needy though.

What is a Ph.D. in Nanotechnology?

A Ph.D. in Nanotechnology is a doctorate degree that focuses on the study and application of materials and devices at the nanoscale level. This field combines elements of physics, chemistry, engineering, and biology to understand and manipulate materials at the molecular level.

What career options are available for a Ph.D. student in Nanotechnology?

A Ph.D. student in Nanotechnology can pursue a variety of career paths, such as research and development in industries like electronics, energy, healthcare, and materials science. They can also work in academia as professors or researchers, or in government agencies.

How does a Ph.D. in Nanotechnology relate to a career in Physics?

A Ph.D. in Nanotechnology and a career in Physics are closely related as they both involve the study of matter and its properties. Nanotechnology specifically focuses on materials at the nanoscale level, while Physics studies the fundamental laws and principles of the universe.

What skills are necessary for a successful career in Nanotechnology and Physics?

A successful career in Nanotechnology and Physics requires a strong foundation in math, science, and critical thinking. Additionally, skills such as problem-solving, attention to detail, and communication are crucial for conducting research and working in a team environment.

What are the potential benefits and challenges of a career in Nanotechnology and Physics?

A career in Nanotechnology and Physics can be highly rewarding, as it allows for the exploration of cutting-edge technology and the potential to make significant scientific breakthroughs. However, it also requires a significant amount of time and dedication to conducting research, and may involve working long hours and facing competition for grants and job opportunities.