1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second Phd

  1. Jan 3, 2015 #1
    I´m now 30 years old (born in 1984) and I will be done with my Ph.d. in Nanotechnology in Mexico City. I am planning on getting married with my girlfriend (who is a U.S. citizen) on June 2016 and go live to the United States. I am now thinking what I would like to do after getting done with the Ph.d. I actually don´t know if the Ph.d. will be valid in the U.S. and what can I teach with that kind of degree, since teaching is my real passion. Through this years of study I have noticed that Physics is what I actually really like instead of working to develop technology; for this reason, I am thinking about studying a master´s in physics and probably a ph.d. in physics which would take around 7 years. However, I don´t know if there are good opportunities to teach physics out there and if it is good to get a second ph.d. Can someone give me some advice on whether it is better to stay with my Ph.d. in nanotechnology or to go for the master´s in physics? It is important to say that money is not a problem for me at this point.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2015 #2


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    A second PhD is rarely ever worth the effort (there is much questions as to whether the first one either, for that matter). I strongly suggest that you look for an industrial position where you can apply your education. Teaching is a much over supplied field at this time in just about all areas.
  4. Jan 8, 2015 #3
    If you can teach physics you'll find a job pretty easily. Every teacher/professor I've talked to the last year say qualified physics teachers are in demand and can often find jobs. Community colleges as well as high schools have the demand. Universities much less so, but if you like to teach, physics is the way to go. You'd need to get certified to teach physics to high school students unless you teach at a private school. This usually requires going through a year of classes and student teaching. Private schools and community colleges won't be as needy though.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook