Second quantization derivation of spin-orbit coupling.

In summary, for a detailed derivation of spin-orbit coupling in second quantization, I recommend checking out the book "Quantum Theory of the Electron Liquid" and the review article "Spin-Orbit Coupling in Quantum Materials." The key is to express the spin-orbit interaction in terms of position and momentum operators and then rewrite them in terms of creation and annihilation operators using the appropriate basis states.
todemax
Can anyone recommend books/reviews that derives the spin-orbit coupling in second quantization. I am working on a tightbinding model and I should be able to convert the spin-orbit hamiltonian from k-space to atomic representation using Warnier states, but I can't figure out some of the aspects of deriving the hamiltonian, even though I feel I should be able to.
My derivation so far is at a stand still at the following equation

[itex] \sum_{n,n'} c_n^+c_{n'} \langle n | (E \times k) \cdot \sigma |n'\rangle[/itex]

Thank your for any help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

I would recommend checking out the book "Quantum Theory of the Electron Liquid" by Giulio Fano and Franco Ortolani. Chapter 7 specifically covers the spin-orbit coupling in second quantization and provides a detailed derivation using Warnier states. Another helpful resource is the review article "Spin-Orbit Coupling in Quantum Materials" by Piers Coleman, which also walks through the derivation and includes additional references for further reading.

In general, the key to deriving the spin-orbit coupling in second quantization is to first express the spin-orbit interaction in terms of the electron's position and momentum operators, and then rewrite these operators in terms of creation and annihilation operators using the appropriate basis states. This will result in an expression similar to the one you have provided, with the addition of the spin-orbit coupling constant and the appropriate spin matrices.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

1. What is second quantization and how is it used in the derivation of spin-orbit coupling?

Second quantization is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of many particles in quantum mechanics. In the context of spin-orbit coupling, it allows us to represent the spin and orbital degrees of freedom of electrons in a compact and efficient way.

2. How does spin-orbit coupling arise in the second quantization formalism?

In second quantization, the spin and orbital degrees of freedom of electrons are described by operators that act on a state vector representing the electronic wave function. These operators interact with each other due to the presence of an external magnetic field, leading to the emergence of spin-orbit coupling.

3. Can you explain the role of the Pauli exclusion principle in the derivation of spin-orbit coupling?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two electrons can occupy the same quantum state. In the context of spin-orbit coupling, this principle plays a crucial role in determining the allowed and forbidden transitions between different spin and orbital states, resulting in the observed energy splitting.

4. What are the key assumptions made in the second quantization derivation of spin-orbit coupling?

The derivation relies on several key assumptions, including the neglect of relativistic effects, the use of perturbation theory, and the assumption of a weak interaction between the spin and orbital degrees of freedom of electrons.

5. How does the second quantization formalism help in understanding the physical origin of spin-orbit coupling?

The second quantization formalism provides a more intuitive and elegant way to understand the physical origin of spin-orbit coupling. It allows us to see how the spin and orbital degrees of freedom of electrons are intertwined and how they interact with each other in the presence of an external magnetic field, resulting in the observed energy splitting.