Secondary Physics Certification in Illinois?

In summary, the speaker was kicked out of their teacher licensing program because they were not compatible with their host teacher. This experience made them question how teachers can expect respect as professionals. As a career changer in their 40s, they are looking for options to finish their degree and certification in physics with minimal time and money. They are seeking suggestions for colleges in their area that offer secondary physics certification, preferably with accelerated or online courses. They have already passed the necessary exams for physics and basic skills.
RandyM77
I was recently kicked out of my teacher licensing program at an online university because my host teacher and I were not compatible. I was demonstration teaching at a high school and I knew it was a lost cause when the HT said "It's obvious you're going to have a different teaching style that me so I can't help you." This made me really depressed and thinking that how can teachers expect people to respect them as professionals if they say things like that. I am in my 40's and this is a career change for me to become a physics teacher so I have a lot of experience with people in my first career - from small companies to large corporations with 10,000+ employees. In my experience professionals do not act like my HT did.

So, the question is how do I finish my degree/certification with minimal time and money? I live near St. Charles, IL and most places offer a M.A. or a secondary that requires me to have a physics degree first. I definitely would like a B.S. because I have been told no one would hire me with a M.A. because I have no experience. If there is an online option to take most of the course that would be great so I can still work at my day job up until doing demonstration teaching again. I have passed the Praxis II and Illinois content exam for physics as well the basic skills tests.

Any suggestions of colleges that offer secondary physics certification in my area would be appreciated. Colleges that have accelerated or offer some online courses would be preferred. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

What is Secondary Physics Certification in Illinois?

Secondary Physics Certification in Illinois is a credential that allows individuals to teach physics at the high school level in the state of Illinois. It is required for anyone who wants to teach physics in grades 9-12 in public schools in Illinois.

What are the requirements for obtaining Secondary Physics Certification in Illinois?

In order to obtain Secondary Physics Certification in Illinois, individuals must hold a bachelor's degree in physics or a closely related field, complete an approved teacher preparation program, pass the Illinois State Board of Education's content area test for physics, and fulfill any additional requirements set by the school district or state.

How long does it take to get Secondary Physics Certification in Illinois?

The length of time it takes to obtain Secondary Physics Certification in Illinois varies depending on individual circumstances. It typically takes 4-5 years for individuals to complete a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, and an additional 1-2 years to complete a teacher preparation program and pass the required exams.

What career opportunities are available with Secondary Physics Certification in Illinois?

With Secondary Physics Certification in Illinois, individuals are qualified to teach physics at the high school level in public schools in Illinois. They may also pursue opportunities in private schools, tutoring, or curriculum development.

Do I need to renew my Secondary Physics Certification in Illinois?

Yes, Secondary Physics Certification in Illinois must be renewed every 5 years. In order to renew, individuals must complete continuing education requirements and pay a renewal fee. Failure to renew may result in the revocation of the certification.